Archive for Monday, April 5, 2010

Tonganoxie teen learns to live again

Year has passed since medical gas accident changed a high school student’s plans for future

Austin Stone, who was injured in a medical gas accident during a 2009 dental procedure, is now a student at the Kansas State School for the Blind. The City of Lawrence has agreed to pay $50,000 as part of a settlement with Stone's family.

Austin Stone, who was injured in a medical gas accident during a 2009 dental procedure, is now a student at the Kansas State School for the Blind. The City of Lawrence has agreed to pay $50,000 as part of a settlement with Stone's family.

April 5, 2010


Area resident adapting to life after accident

A Tonganoxie resident is working to live and learn after an accident during a wisdom tooth procedure one year ago. The accident took most of his eyesight, but that doesn't keep his spirit down. Enlarge video

Legacy may save others

As a result of the Austin Stone’s accident while receiving gas during a routine wisdom tooth removal, the city of Lawrence made some changes to ensure patients’ safety.

Lawrence now requires that the city’s building permit office receive an inspection certificate from private building inspectors who are certified to inspect medical gas lines.

Prior to the accident, the city didn’t require such documentation.

In the initial letter written by Dr. S. Kirk Vincent to the city, he directly blames the incorrect installation by Lawrence’s Action Plumbing, 801 Comet Lane. In that letter dated April 8, 2009, Vincent states, “The individual manifolds used to connect the oxygen and nitrous oxide were inadvertently transposed.”

Action Plumbing has not been available for comment.

The Kansas Legislature this year approved a bill aimed at regulating the installation of medical gas systems, which was prompted by Stone’s accident. The measure has been sent to Gov. Mark Parkinson for his signature.

— As he sits at the drum set during music class at the Kansas State School for the Blind in Kansas City, Kan., Austin Stone continues to settle into his daily routine.

The Tonganoxie man walks with a cane. He is aided by two full-time paraprofessionals, one who helps him during the school day and the other aids him at home in the dorms.

“It’s frustrating,” said Stone, who was injured in a medical gas accident in 2009. “Some days are better than others.”

One year ago, Stone was hospitalized following a freak accident in a dental chair that left him legally blind, hard of hearing and with limited use of his gross motor skills. He’s trying to relearn many skills such as reading, washing dishes and cooking for himself.

In Stone’s effort to regain his independence, he says he’s learned that when life throws a curve ball, you must adapt. It’s that attitude that he would like to pass onto other young people.

“I was planning to go to college on a track scholarship. ... You saw where that got me,” Stone said jokingly. “What I would like to do now is take some speaking classes and try to become a motivational speaker.”

The former Tonganoxie High School runner feels his “inner athlete” has helped him find his own motivation in this tough situation. He believes children will listen to his stories.

“I prove to myself that I am what I claim to be,” Stone said. “I don’t think I would have this good of an attitude if I wasn’t an athlete because I think this is the athlete coming out in me.”

Last Tuesday marked the one-year anniversary of when Stone was injured during a routine wisdom tooth removal at the Lawrence dental surgery center of Dr. S. Kirk Vincent at 4811 Bob Billings Parkway. In a letter to the city of Lawrence alerting them of the incident, Vincent said he was unaware that the medical gas lines were incorrectly installed in the newly constructed building. According to the Stone family, when Stone began receiving gas as part of the procedure, he lost consciousness, stopped breathing and was rushed to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

“The first thing I remember is waking and saying, ‘Where the heck am I?’” he said of the accident. “I didn’t really grasp the full concept of what had happened to me until my dad explained it to me. I knew that I had been in some kind of accident because my vision was gone.”

In the past year Stone has spent time in and out of hospitals and worked to regain much of his movement. He also received his diploma from Tonganoxie High School during a special schoolwide ceremony last August.

Each day presents new challenges for Stone, but he is determined to overcome them all. His love for music helps him with this.

“I think the elements of rhythm in music have helped him with his motor output,” said Della Molloy, Stone’s music teacher. “But also being a 19-year-old guy who really loves music and feels like that’s a great outlet when he’s having a bad day, it’s great.”

Molloy and Stone play music when they walk Stone around the school’s campus. She says the music’s rhythm helps him walk.

Stone believes playing the drums and playing music alongside several other visually impaired students helps him emotionally.

“I am unable to run, so music is a release for me,” he said.

Today, he is carrying a full class load, enduring daily physical therapy and, like most 19-year-old students, trying to keep his dorm room clean.

Stone says his struggles are just beginning as he tries to return his life to some sense of normalcy. He’s thankful for his family, friends and the staff at the Kansas State School for the Blind.

“I want to tell people, ‘No matter how low you get or how bad you are, don’t give up because once you’re at the bottom, it can only go up,’ ” he said.

— Reporter Mark Boyle can be reached at 832-6327.


Sharon Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

What great courage for this young man to go on with his life while adapting to such different circumstances. I applaud him.

Michael Capra 8 years, 1 month ago

Action plumbing needs to pay big for this one they did this for one reason greed. It was going to cost to much to do it right

Michael Capra 8 years, 1 month ago

it takes a medical gas licenses to do this work and action plumbing didnt have one and they called a company that did found out they were going to charge to much..but they know all about doing it wrong

christy kennedy 8 years, 1 month ago

Best wishes to Austin and his family. He says he wants to be an inspirational speaker? I think he already is.

middlemgmt 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm so happy to hear an update. Although I don't know Austin or his family, I have thought of them often and prayed for him many times. It sounds like he is putting one foot in front of the other and making the best of his situation. Way to go Austin!

asbury 8 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations to young Mr. Stone for having strength, courage and a postive outlook.

Paul R Getto 8 years, 1 month ago

Brave and strong young man; best wishes as you continue your recovery. Strength to your family too as they help you work through this.

greenquarter 8 years, 1 month ago

Best wishes to Austin during this difficult transition.

nekansan 8 years, 1 month ago

Can someone better explain the specifics of his condition? Is this a side effect of a NO2 overdose or were his neurological deficits caused by lack of oxygen? Either way it would seem that, mixed lines or not, the doctor has an obligation to ensure that any medication being administered is monitored closely enough to prevent this kind of tragic outcome. I also wonder why there is not an odor that can be added to NO2 so it can be readily differentiated from O2. We make natural gas smell bad so leaks can be detected, why not a slight good fragrance in the NO2 so it can be readily identified?

Beth Bird 8 years, 1 month ago

I want to know what dentist......I don't think I will be going there.....Best of luck to Austin!

weirdalfan27 8 years, 1 month ago

I am glad to hear that the music therapy program at KSSB has helped Austin so much. Ms. Malloy is moving to Texas after this year. Because of the budget cuts made to state schools, her position more than likely will not be filled. Since she is the only music teacher at that school, this will have a tremendous impact on the students at KSSB. It will be a great loss.

devobrun 8 years, 1 month ago

The Oxygen line was attached to the NOX line. The more O2 they gave him....the more NOX they were actually giving him. Yes, they were monitoring him. Yes, they new that he was in trouble. By the time they figured out he wasn't getting O2 (but just more nitrous), he was in big trouble. The plumbers made a mistake. The city didn't check it. The doctor didn't catch it either.

Sad, but he sure looks like he is battling. Hope he continues to improve and can enjoy his life. Accomplishment is the best remedy. Keep it up, Austin. I bet you surprise yourself.

nekansan 8 years, 1 month ago

So if the NO2 has a distinct smell this doctor did not even verify that the system was functioning prior to using it to administer drugs to a patient. Seems pretty irresponsible to me. I get that the install was botched, but just can't believe that the doctor never verified the function of the system prior to using it on patients. Was Austin just the unfortunate first patient the system was used on?

Devobrun, I guessed it was the exact scenario you suggested. I'm still curious if the neurological damage was caused my NO2 overdoes or lack of Oxygen. Obviously he is lucky to be alive. I just hope that he has every resource he needs to maximize his recovery from what seems like a negligent mistake.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.