Archive for Monday, April 5, 2010

Dale Willey gets reprieve and will keep his Cadillac dealership

The Dale Willey Cadillac dealership in Lawrence got a reprieve from General Motors and will be allowed to keep its business open. GM had planned to close the Lawrence shop along with about 900 nationwide.

April 5, 2010

Dale Willey Automotive will be able to enter its fifth decade of selling Cadillacs in Lawrence, a prospect that had been less-than-certain until he received the good news by FedEx last week.

The dealership, 2840 Iowa, had been among 950 dealers told by General Motors this past fall that they would no longer be able to sell the Cadillac brand, said Dale Willey, the dealership’s president.

Now he’s learned that he can keep on selling and servicing, just as he has since he started in September 1970 at 1040 Vt.

“It’s like before,” Willey said. “We went into arbitration. I think they recognized the value of when sales are down a little bit, they need more sales people. We’re thrilled and excited about that.”

Last year, as GM entered bankruptcy, the automaker moved to close hundreds of dealerships nationwide. Mile Schnaer, president of Crown Chevrolet in Lawrence, said last week that he was in negotiations with GM to retain his Chevrolet dealership.

Comments

chasmo 4 years, 8 months ago

It's been a while since I last bought a new Caddie. But I am glad to know I still can.

easyliving 4 years, 8 months ago

Always happy with Dale Willey, glad to see everyone gets to keep their job. Crown will get the same news I hope.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Government Motors, circling the drain of total takeover.

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh thank goodness! I was worried all those food stamp recipients wouldn't have anything to drive to pick up their benefits. Glad to hear that crisis has been averted.

gccs14r 4 years, 8 months ago

Any of you seen the '73 Eldorado Dale Willey has sitting out front? It's not perfect, but it's in really nice shape for being 37 years old.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

gabbo 4 years, 8 months ago

Good to hear. Dale and his team are nice folks, good service too. Swen: Escalade can be a hybrid, so the can the SRX. Also the XTS out in '12 to be the "Big Caddie" will be a full 2 stage plug-in hybrid, based on the new Volt. No one would hear you drive up to the Oread to open spouts or shout peace. Think about it.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations Dale! I'm glad you're still in business.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

Dale Willey is a stand up guy, I am glad to hear he will remain in business.

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if some money had to go the democratic party way, since 98% of the closed Chrysler dealerships were shut down if they donated to someone other than Heir Barack.

CLARKKENT 4 years, 8 months ago

WHO CARES, CAN'T AFFORD THAT PLACE ANYWAY.

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 8 months ago

My brother and I both worked for Dale and he and his family are good people. I am sure he would not have had to close the dealership because he does sell a variety of GM brands. There have been other recessions and he's come through them fine, but I am glad he gets to keep selling Caddies.

kristyj 4 years, 8 months ago

yes paulette, and the coupe de pelosi runs on botox. not only does it use an alternative fuel product, but the botox makes the car unlikely to wrinkle during a fender-bender.

oldvet 4 years, 8 months ago

They will be offering the Coupe d'Bama... you have to purchase two of them and then one will be taken away and given to some person too lazy to work...

Bill Lee 4 years, 8 months ago

Half of you know what you're talking about, and half of you don't. I'll be most of you don't know which group you're in. Don't you have better ways to use your time?

nut_case 4 years, 8 months ago

Nice to know some local people get to keep their jobs.

Too bad I can't afford a new car. I had to settle for a used, economical car years ago when gas prices started to rise. Then the government decided to take my tax money and give it away so people who didn't have the same foresight cold dump their big fancy SUV's and buy new cars.

It certainly must be nice to use tax money to 'buy' a car company, then take more tax money and give to people so they can buy cars from the company you just bought. How long before I go to jail if I robbed a bank and bought a business, then robbed another bank and gave money to people so they could buy my product, then cash in on the 'profit' from this business?!?

beawolf 4 years, 8 months ago

Paullette 2,

"Details on the Creation of New GM:"....Nice clip and paste. Stick to the Coup de Pelosi jokes. It's more your style.

KU_Dude 4 years, 8 months ago

Worth repeating:

• jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says…

bronze- I've warned you privately, now I'll warn you publicly. You do not have bearded_gnome's name correct. If you don't immediately cease to attempt to out an anonymous user, your account will be banned. In addition, I will immediately ban any account I suspect to be created by you without notice, warning or further cause. This is your final warning. Jonathan Kealing Online editor

––––– How has paulette2 lasted this long Jonathan?

Tom Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

@ snap_pop_no_crackle and KU_Dude... what is up with that? I miss all the good stuff...sometimes, havin' a life just makes ya miss out on all the fun...but really, what IS all that repeat-repeat about??? What'd I miss? is this another "he who mustn't be named" kinda deal?

KU_Dude 4 years, 8 months ago

Tom,

Paulette2 is just the latest incarnation of Sven/Spiderman/Coltrane/Cool etc. etc. He's been banned and banned but obviously doesn't get the hint and always finds a way to come back.

I can't speak for Snap but I had thought he would always be banned from here when he keeps posting the same nonsense over and over...

Tom Miller 4 years, 8 months ago

...KU_Dude, I guess I missed all that. I'm only on here sporadically, and generally thoroughly enjoy it here, even when Marion was being such an obtuse ass. I suppose I should pay closer attention, but honestly, I just see this forum as light entertainment, and not to be taken very seriously. Ever. Other, more reality-based things occupy most of my time, generally. Anyway, thank you very much for your response, and explanation. I will attempt paying a bit closer attention in the future...no, wait,,,no I won't. LOL!

rumor_man 4 years, 8 months ago

Do people really "laugh out loud" as they type "LOL" or do they just think it instead?