Letters to the Editor

Ride the bus

April 4, 2010

To the editor:

In response to Britches owner Jeremy Furse: I’ve been a city T driver for five years now and have noticed on Saturday that at least 20 percent of all the parking spaces on Mass. Street are taken up by business owners and their employees. It is not something to deny since it’s a problem during the work week.

My solution is to take the bus, since it’s only a $1 fare and, oh, it’s free for KU students. Use the parking garage; it’s safe, and so are our city and KU buses. Students, for late night work, take KU Safe-Ride. But some of those I’ve talked to don’t want to because they want to be taken to a place to party instead of getting a direct ride to their homes.

Ride the bus! If we need to extend the hours for some call-up service, I’m sure it can be arranged. I’m with the city; charge the $50 fine for unpaid parking tickets. Oh, and please don’t park on Rhode Island Street. People live there!

Comments

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 8 months ago

One of my roommates uses the bus all the time. I will look into using it, too.

I miss the city, anyway. :)

LogicMan 4 years, 8 months ago

"My solution is to take the bus, "

People will naturally follow the path of least resistance, because you humans are lazy creatures of habit. ;-]

So apparently the bus is not convenient or timely, nor will it be.

notajayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Oak (anonymous) says…

"People who live in large cities on either coast take the bus or the subway as a matter of course, yet here in the midwest, people feel insulted at the idea of having to take the bus. Why is that? And, no, it is not the convenience or the schedule. I'm not buying that excuse."

Well, then you're a fool.

Even in larger Midwest cities, such as Kansas City, the bus is ridiculously and prohibitively inconvenient. I looked into riding the bus once while my car was in need of repairs; it would have taken me 2-1/2 hours, with two bus changes and walking almost half the distance, to replace my 15 minute car ride.

In the places you're referring to, like NYC, there's a bus stop or subway station almost every block, and the bus or train comes along about every ten minutes. In other words, mass transit picks you up near where you're leaving from, takes you where you want to go, and does it when you want to travel. They run around the clock or near to it, and they run on weekends and holidays. Even those commuting from outside the city can jump on a train on a schedule that ranges from every hour off-peak to every 20 minutes (or less) during the rush hours, not a single daily train.

Maybe it makes sense for YOU to waste a few hours per day waiting for your transfers and riding around parts of town you don't need to. But, literally, I'm not buying it.

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

I gotta say I agree with notajayhawk here. When they cut bus service for the schools, I thought it would be no big deal because we have the T. Well, it did turn out to be a big deal.

My child would have had to catch the bus (according to their route schedule) at 6:55am, ride downtown (opposite direction of the school), do a transfer to be dropped off at a location that still would require a 22 minute walk (again figures provided by the T's website) and still would have been 9 minutes late to school every day.

notajayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Katara (anonymous) says…

"I grew up in KC and my experience with the metro was not as notajayhawk's though. However, I was going to work on the Plaza and they have some buses that are straight shots to there. It was a 35 minute ride - same as if I had driven there but minus the time looking for parking."

I lived in the Plaza when I moved to KC. I was going to take the bus one day to a repair shop straight up Broadway to pick up my car. After waiting for a while, I was told by the others at the bus stop that the next bus would be along - in another hour and a half. Being that it was less than the 5 miles most people can comfortably walk in that time, I skipped the bus. (Taxi service, on the other hand, was always prompt on the Plaza - about the only place in the city that can be said.)

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 8 months ago

It is not free for students and it certainly costs citizens more than $1 a ride to subsidize that mess.