Archive for Friday, April 2, 2010

Statehouse Live: Tea Party rallies at the Capitol

Jerry Moran and Todd Tiahrt spoke to the group rallying in the capital.

April 2, 2010, 10:56 a.m. Updated April 2, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

Jeanne and Bob Sebree of Tecumseh hold signs Friday at Tea Party rally outside the Capitol. They said they had never been involved politically before but have now because they said federal spending has gotten out of control.

Ed Williams, a volunteer for the Tea Party Express, trades flags for donations at the rally Friday on the Statehouse grounds.

Two people hold signs at the Tea Party rally on Friday outside the Capitol that are critical of Democrats and President Barack Obama.

— More than 200 people gathered Friday outside the Capitol in the rain during a Tea Party rally. Signs at the rally, and comments from individuals, criticized federal spending, Democrats, the new health care law and President Barack Obama.

Jeanne and Bob Sebree of Tecumseh were among the crowd. Bob Sebree said he is a retired teacher who taught at West Junior High in Lawrence for 20 years.

They said the federal government was spending too much and not listening to the public.

Jeanne Sebree said Obama “wants to rule instead of govern.”

The rally was part of a 43-city national tour of the Tea Party Express, which started in Nevada, and will end up in Washington D.C. on April 15.

Ed Williams, a volunteer from Reno, Nev. was handing out United States and “Don’t Tread on Me” flags for donations.

Williams said he joined the tour because “I want to make a difference.”

He said taxes were too high, the government was spending too much and the new health care law was unconstitutional.

Roger Thomas, a retired government worker from Olathe, criticized what he called Obama's "rampant run to socialism."

Comments

meggers 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder how many tuned in to get the forecast from the National Weather Service and have their Medicare cards tucked into their wallets.

Ignorance is apparently contagious.

emptymind 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't those yahoooos know enuf to come in outta the rain?

Mary Sucha 4 years, 9 months ago

madcow 4 years, 9 months ago

I knew there was a reason for the hail this morning.

whiteorchid 4 years, 9 months ago

So, let me get this straight....retirees (on Medicare) from government and state funded organizations are against government? WHAT?

Look, a big bloated government is not ideal- no one wants that. Even those that support the health care reform bill. I am tired of seeing children with no health care. Seniors who can't afford their meds. Hard working moms and dads that can't afford health insurance never getting preventative medical care and winding up with expensive medical conditions that end up costing the tax payers millions of dollars to treat.

I pose a question to those that oppose the health care reform bill- if this bill helped you get medicine for your dying child, would you still oppose it? Picture it. You've lost your job, your mortgage has skyrocketed and medical bills keep going up and up. You've tapped every resource you have and you're out of options.

Tell me that you would allow your child to die because you believe in small government. You wouldn't.

And neither would the thousands of individuals that find themselves in the situation described above.

Health care for every child in this country vs. Government getting a little bigger.

What would you choose?

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

A national tour that drew ... 150 people? Oh yes, I'm sure Obama and the Democrats are shaking in their boots over this tidalwave of dissent.

And of those 150, how many voted for any Democrats, let alone Obama, in 2008?

gravitykills 4 years, 9 months ago

yay crazies, ignorance is contagious, those yahoooos, kansas taliban dummies.... Yer smearing is contagious and so well-spoken! Keep it up! You're so close to ousting them. So close!

ClaroAtaxia 4 years, 9 months ago

So where was the media when the Tea Parties were still being ran by actual Libertarians? Now that neo-conservatives self-proclaim themselves as 'Glenn Beck Libertarians' and Palin's chest shows up at one it's suddenly worth covering. Pay attention next election and you might see the whole picture.

verity 4 years, 9 months ago

Sigh.

I wish for some creative thinking. I want to hear something besides the same old cliches. Do these people even understand what they're saying or are they just repeating what they've been told?

verity 4 years, 9 months ago

I find them scarey because they don't seem to be capable of thinking on their own.

KSManimal 4 years, 9 months ago

goldwater (anonymous) says… "Government retirees on Medicare complaining about government overspending beginning on January 20, 2009?? That's rich. Or are their protests for some other reason?"

Like for example having the audacity to put one's feet up on the desk in the Oval Office...while Black.

I'd love someone to falsify that hypothesis. I'm guessing I'll be waiting a while.

Clark Coan 4 years, 9 months ago

They have no credibility. The extreme right billionaire Charles Koch of WIchita funds this crazy group.

tpatt 4 years, 9 months ago

People on social security and medicare complaining about socialisim, angry old white people.

RogueThrill 4 years, 9 months ago

Where are the wide angle shots of the crowd?

BigAl 4 years, 9 months ago

"small mobs of fist-shakers standing staunch for unreality"

I read that line this morning and it definitely applies.....

gravitykills 4 years, 9 months ago

Good post Mr. Getto. I was about to break out Maddow and Mathews and Olbermann in response to a previous post, but then I would have succumb to the same BS.

I'm willing to learn your solutions and it appears I'm standing amoungst a left handed crowd here. But.... this is what I think....

I think the middle class is going to be taxed heavy for this health care.

And I think all these businesses projecting million dollar costs, as a result of this health care, will pass that cost to the consumer.

And I think the moochers will come out in droves over this. And that is sad because there are a lot people that can really benefit and need health care. (that’s where the focus and “solutions” should be directed, along with the $12 tooth brush)

I don’t know about the higher premiums and doctors leaving. ... very bad if true.

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

They can have their nice, cute, sweet little tea party cause tonight I am going to a keg party

gaba gaba hey!

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 9 months ago

You're so close to ousting them. So close!

Ousting them from what? The vocal minority just wants to cause problems to try to keep the uninformed.....well, uninformed. Now that Republicans have learned their lesson on not challenging Obama to a question and answer forum, all that will happen is more screaming and lies.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 9 months ago

Where di these people keep their Phred Phelps signs while they carried the Tea Party signs?

KSManimal 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey, Sebree's: If you don't want that KPERS check, Social Security check, and Medicare coverage....just send it all to me. That would clear your conscience....which I'm sure you're conflicted about......and it would help me pay the bills.

Oh, you WANT those government benefits? What's the trouble, then?

Obama wants to "rule, not govern"? Hmmm.... Which recent president called himself "the decider", and said things would be so much better/easier for him if this were a dictatorship? Why no outcry then? Oh, yeah. Bush wasn't guilty of trying to govern while Black.

Mr. Williams..... taxes too high? How high are they? Can you even say? How much is government spending? What is it spent on? Do you even know? Can you point to where in the US constitution you refer to when you claim the health care bill is unconstitutional?

Can you show me where in the health care bill it actually requires anyone to buy health insurance? Looks to me more like you'll pay less in taxes if you do.....it's not like they'll toss you in jail if you don't. And that tax break, by the way, is exactly what McCain proposed while campaigning for the presidency. Yet, no one screamed that McCain's proposal was "unconstitutional". Gee, what's the difference? Oh, yeah. McCain wasn't guilty of favoring the idea while Black.

Mr. Thomas - please define the term "socialism". We're waiting.......

finance 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm. 200, 300, 500. More like 100, or 150, or 250 the way I count. Meaning, half-wits should only count for 50% of the gross turn-out. Jeez, why do I keep being ashamed for having to breathe the poison air those foul creatures expel? Actually, I guess GROSS does describe my attitude toward dimwits. I could try holding my breath, but that means dimwits would outlive me despite inability to do more than inhale/exhale.

gravitykills 4 years, 9 months ago

Nearly every post on here speaks volumes of the liberals. "We won, you lost! Get over it!" or Tea Baggers are "foul creatures" (seriously???) or "health care passed! Deal with it!"

I'm learning that liberals refuse to ask questions about the health care bill and refuse to provide any answers other than "get over it".

Will there be a goods and service tax? Is that going to come out of the consumers pocket or will the middle man add that cost to the product?? Are businesses going to raise the price of their product to cover health care costs? Are businesses going to employ workers if they have to cover higher health care costs for new employees?
Are health care premiums going to go up since 30 million people will be added, including pre-existing conditions? Will this health care cost $940 (+) billion over ten years?

I'm not part of the tea party movement, nor am I follower of Beck, Palin, or Rush… but I assume these are examples of questions the Tea Party is asking. And all you got is "tea baggers are loons. Bush did it. The Iraq war cost...". NICE! I will give you credit though.. you all are quick to answer... "it is not unconstitutional!"

independant1 4 years, 9 months ago

People don’t change under governments. Governments change. People remain the same. (Will Rogers)

kansasmutt 4 years, 8 months ago

Party down. I dont know what to say. I guess get another glass of tea ? I can say this, They at least are doing something, unlike most who just bitc% and moan. Our leaders are out of control. This may or may not wake some people up to whats going on in this state at this time.

booyalab 4 years, 8 months ago

gravitykills -"I'm not part of the tea party movement, nor am I follower of Beck, Palin, or Rush…"

You forgot to include "nor am I a racist.". Just when you think you've preempted every possible fallacious attack, they play that card. Gotta love it.

ENGWOOD 4 years, 8 months ago

WE THE PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER COME NOVEMBER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

booyalab 4 years, 8 months ago

To everyone who is still using the juvenile variations on "tea bagging" as if it helps support your position. Ok, let's say that every one of them engages in the act with each other before, during and after the protests. How exactly does that refute their free market principles as long as they use their own financial resources to do it?