Archive for Friday, April 2, 2010

Police find unloaded gun in LHS student’s car

April 2, 2010

Lawrence police notified Lawrence High School administrators on Friday that officers during the lunch hour found an unloaded gun in a senior male student’s vehicle.

Police were investigating an off-campus incident, but the student’s vehicle was previously parked on school property, said Julie Boyle, a school district spokeswoman. There were no threats and no incident with the firearm, Boyle said.

Lawrence High administrators initiated disciplinary action against the student, and the school also notified parents, students and staff members, Boyle said.

Last month, while investigating a traffic accident at Free State High School, Lawrence police found a firearm in a sophomore male student’s vehicle on school property. There was no incident with the firearm either, but the student was also disciplined.

Comments

countryboyscansurvive 4 years ago

9070811 a * water gun seriously dude get a life. cletus26 running of the mouth and pulling a gun or even a knive are what these little WANNA BE GANGSTERS DO, you know everything around you can be a weapon, and if this young man wanted to harm someone TRUST me he would have. hell a car or truck is more deadly than some BB gun or a rifle. dblawrence all i can say to you is they might as well take our RIGHTS as AMERICANS (AMENDMENT 2 RIGHT TO BARE ARMS) thats all im gonna say.

"REBEL TILL I DIE"

dblawrence 4 years ago

9070811 You have got be kidding, if you want to go there then you better take the boots off the kids feet because they use those to stomp some heads in with those too! And Cletus you talk about fist fighting; Havent you heard of someone that was beaten to death in a fight. The thing you all are NOT getting is there was not a fight waiting to happen. It was simply a mistake of not removing them from his vehicle and allowing the BB gun to be taken out of his truck which was simply OFF of school property! And had my son not been honest and said where he had been parked that morning then nothing would have been done. What was in his vehicle was not illegel. I know if you were in my shoes you would see things differently. I also know there are alot of people out there who have thier own opinions and the good thing about our country is freedom of speech. Hold tight to that before they try to take that too.

9070811 4 years ago

What about water guns? An unloaded gun is about the same as a water gun. I think you can even bash someone's head in with some types of water guns.

cletus26 4 years ago

guns, knives, all utensils or weapons to kill. what happened to fist or talking out a problem. didn't say that the reason the weapon was in the car was to do harm, but we all know. this a growing problem and it is a shame. * boys that like to run the mouth then pull a gun. nothing happened then, but had it not been found? these youngs folks are just a mess.

dblawrence 4 years ago

I am the Mother of the student who had the guns. If they are gonna tell it; Let it be told right!!! First off it was 2 BB guns, a paint ball gun and a 22 rifle which is low powered used to squirrel and rabbit hunt.These guns were unloaded except some BB's in the one they had out . These guns were in his truck because he had been out in the country shooting them. absent mindedly leaving them in the vehicle. The only reason the police knew he had parked near the annex parking lot is because my son told them the TRUTH! My son has never been in trouble with the police or had any problems in school except skipping class which he was punished for at school and home. Now, with this being said I am not at all happy with his decision making! Where he screwed up is taking the BB gun out of his truck! Although, I remember being 18 and doing VERY STUPID things myself. He has busted his rump to get through school and is 6 wks to Graduation and was accepted to a very good trade school! NOW, We don't even know what the future holds for this young man!

Theno21 4 years ago

Its turkey season...who doesn't know that

Pywacket 4 years ago

50yearresident~ Sometimes... but not all kids, and not always. I doubt there is more dishonesty among high schoolers than among the general public. My teens (both of whom have been out of high school for a few years now) were pretty honest most of the time. In fact, sometimes I would be surprised when they would confess to something I suspected but couldn't have proved. They were more likely to confess, talk it out, and accept consequences than to lie and make things worse. I would like to think that most other teens are the same way.

I just think that individual situations call for individual solutions. Unless those asking the questions are total idiots, they will soon figure out whether they have a Klebold in hand (that kid who organized the Columbine massacre with his friend) or some innocent kid who likes to hunt and had no intention of threatening, much less shooting, anyone.

If Klebold (read up on him if you have forgotten) had been caught with a gun in his car prior to the day of the massacre, a little digging around would quickly have led the authorities (and previously clueless parents) to realize that he was a ticking time bomb. His computer and his room were filled with evidence of his twisted thoughts and malevolent intentions.

I just don't think that all kids need to be treated as potential nutcases just because they forget to remove something from their car that they've been using recently for innocent purposes. Yes, it was probably an oversight on his part, and the school is right to take it seriously enough to investigate.

All I'm saying is that IF the investigation turns up no reason to believe anything untoward was going on in his mind or plans, that they should not expel him or be terribly severe. I think the blanket "zero tolerance" attitudes some communities have is counterproductive and overly harsh.

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

"Police have to follow through either way, I just hope the full incident is taken into consideration and some kid doesn't get kicked out of school if it isn't necessary."

Since the schools have a zero tolerance policy, I suppose this young person will be taken out and shot. At the very least expelled for a long time. Same sentence if he had been caught with an aspirin in his pocket. Zero tolerance. We all need to be protected from ourselves, don't you know.

Calliope877 4 years ago

Well, at least it was unloaded...

50YearResident 4 years ago

Pywacket, remember, kids, when asked a question they don't want to answer, Lie.

Les Blevins 4 years ago

Pywacket's comments make sense to me. I'll admit its been a while since I was in High School but back then us guys knew those who had cars might have a gun in their car or anyone might even have one in their locker, and I also remember there was not a lot of bullying going on. I wonder if there might be a connection there somewhere?

Glenda LaRue 4 years ago

This is to barrypenders...Your point is?????? You make no sense! Just a bunch of inane babble.I will skip over ypur posts every time I see one. HAGD

Pywacket 4 years ago

I wonder what kind of gun it was and whether the kid is just a hunter who forgot to take the gun out of his vehicle. I think, instead of just handing down one-size-fits-all discipline, they should try to determine what the student's intentions and reasons were for having a firearm in a vehicle he drove to school.

I'm all for safety in the schools, but it should be obvious to anyone that the psychopaths who want to walk into a school and start shooting are (short of having to pass a metal detector) going to just do so. The kids who have a hunting rifle or shotgun in their car and who have hunting licenses or other evidence to back up the harmlessness of their intentions at school should not be treated like devious criminals. At most, if it is determined that the student's intentions were harmless, maybe the firearm should be confiscated for a set period of time, then handed over to the parents.

hipper_than_hip 4 years ago

To buy a rifle or shotgun in KS you must be at least 18 years of age, and to buy a handgun you must be at least 21 years of age. There is no minimum age in KS for possession of a rifle or shotgun. To possess a pistol in KS you must be at least 18 years of age.

The Federal Gun-Free Schools Act of 1994 requires expulsion of pupils for possession of weapons at school. Expulsion is to be for a period of not less than one calendar year for any pupil determined to “be in possession of a weapon at school, on school property, or at a school sponsored activity.”

DillonBarnes 4 years ago

Not much information in this story.

Kid could have been planning on going to the range, or a gunsmith, or otherwise after class, stored his firearm properly and just left it in his vehicle. Still illegal but he wasn't planning on anyone getting into his vehicle. Then again it could have been an illegal handgun (he is in high school) someone was planning on using to scare or actually hurt someone.

lionbacker 4 years ago

he is a coward for carring a gun to school, must think he would get his ass kicked if he didnt have it. punk, punk, punk. thug, thug, thug,

barrypenders 4 years ago

Apparently, the difference between a 'Rifle' and a 'Gun' is not determinable on this cell.

So be it.

Out

Stimulus, PAD Emotionality, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

imastinker 4 years ago

So - was the car on school property or not?

The article makes it sound like it wasn't.

MacHeath 4 years ago

Was that your rifle, or your gun you carried loaded, Barry? I guess you don't have to worry about healthcare, because you are a vet. What about those that aren't? Talk about posers.

Selfishness, egocentricity, and barryisms live unprecendented

We are DEVO!

Steve Miller 4 years ago

Your right justsaying, berry sounds retarded everytime he writes that bs, i don't understand why he does not answer you to explain. ???

barrypenders 4 years ago

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

"Funny that maybe in five months, he can get a concealed weapons permit, then he can bring a loaded gun to class at KU! " If you had looked at the law, you would know that a person can't get a concealed carry permit in Kansas until age 21.

blackfox 4 years ago

Both of the above post are correct. First, from "budwhysir". "kids" have no respect for anything nowdays. This comes from how they are raised. Bottom line its the parents fault. Second, from "srj". "We have no trust in a high school senior, but we have all the faith in the world of a college freshman". EXACTLY! There is something wrong with this. Just think, that smae senior is still the same age when they enter college. Oh, but I guess you automaticlly get smarter when to start college??

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

We have no trust in a high school senior, but we have all the faith in the world of a college freshman.

budwhysir 4 years ago

While I can say I like all the "BACK WHEN i WAS IN SCHOOL" stories, I have to point out that this would have been a different time. I dont think back then we had near the trouble we do in schools now a days. Back then guns where for hunting not for taking into school and showing to yer buddy. Kids now adays have no respect for each other, let alone respect for what a gun can do

blackfox 4 years ago

What reasons did they have for searching this persons car? I also remember kids having guns and what ever else in their cars at school. I think people are just to darm affarid now days!

justsaying 4 years ago

barrypenders; forgive me for not understanding your point. You always end with Stimulus, Irresponsible PADs and Posercare live unprecedented.... Darwin bless us all.

Please explain if you will. I don't know what those comments have to do with guns at school or any of the other topics you attach these statements to. I am not being disrespectful, so please don't take it that way. Just trying to make sense of it.

booyalab 4 years ago

Thank goodness the appropriate action was taken. Who knows what havoc may have ensued had the unloaded gun been allowed to stay in the car. A two year old could have wandered into the parking lot and, after somehow breaking into the car and dismantling the gun, choked on the sight or the hammer.

bullydad1 4 years ago

This isn't the wild wild west, school is no place for a gun.

barrypenders 4 years ago

"This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for shooting, this is for fun"

Needless to say, I carried mine loaded, since I was knee high to a grass-hopper.

Stimulus, Irresponsible PADs and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

rtwngr 4 years ago

When I graduated LHS in the early 70's, a lot of us kept a gun in our car. I never parked on campus though.

John_Brown 4 years ago

How times have changed. In 1985, I used to have a shotgun and a rifle on a gun rack in my pickup which I parked at my high school every morning. If it were hot, I'd leave the windows down. I was disciplined for other things but never heard a word about my guns. And, honestly, my pickup wasn't the best armed in the parking lot.