Archive for Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lawrence surpasses national average in completing Census forms; see where other Big 12 cities stand

April 1, 2010

It’s Census day, the date federal officials want to count everybody in the country.

Based on the latest numbers showing how many people have sent their Census forms back to the government, the head-counters still have some work to do.

Nationally, 52 percent of all households have sent a form back, according to the Census site Thursday. Kansas is above the average at 59 percent. Douglas County and Lawrence are too, at 58 percent and 56 percent, respectively.

But Lawrence is being left behind by at least one group: Cornhuskers. A quick look of all the cities in the Big 12 found that Lincoln is the clear leader thus far. Here’s a look at the Big 12 results.

1. Lincoln, Neb.: 62 percent

2. Manhattan: 57 percent

3. Lawrence: 56 percent (tie)

3. Columbia, Mo.: 56 percent (tie)

5. Ames, Iowa: 54 percent

6. Norman, Okla: 52 percent

7. Stillwater, Okla: 51 percent

8. Lubbock, Texas: 51 percent

9. Boulder, Colo.: 50 percent

10. Waco, Texas: 46 percent

11. College Station, Texas: 41 percent

12. Austin, Texas: 41 percent

People who don’t mail in their form should expect a Census worker to visit their homes, although that effort may not begin until May in Lawrence.

Comments

midwestmom 4 years, 8 months ago

Natural? Maybe supposed to be 'national'....

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 8 months ago

midwestmom - I think so... but... it's a funny mistake... I think...

midwestmom 4 years, 8 months ago

It is a funny mistake - I completely agree!

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 8 months ago

lawrenceguy40 - aAe you not going to have yourself counted? If not, I wonder why...

Glenda Breese 4 years, 8 months ago

lawrenceguy40.......your paranoia is showing .But sadly not your I.Q.

geekyhost 4 years, 8 months ago

Let's take a quick count. Those that claim to be patriotic but don't know how representative democracies work, get paranoid and refuse to raise your hand now!

steveguy 4 years, 8 months ago

We never got our census form! Can not return it if we didn't get it.

worsenewsgirl 4 years, 8 months ago

"You are much more likely to get a IRS audit if the filled out the long form than if you didn't."

If you read up on the Census (www.census.gov), you'll note only the short form is now used for the Decennial Census.

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

The long form is now called the "American Community Survey. It's far more scary than anything in the old form.

Read here: http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/ACS-1%28info%29%282010%29%20Stateside%20English_web.pdf

From above link:

"What's especially problematic about the ACS are the answers it demands from citizens. The least threatening of them are just strange – such as asking whether your home has a flush toilet and whether "there is a business (such as a store or barber shop) or a medical practice" on your property. Then there are the financial questions. The ACS asks everything from your sources of income (in dollar amounts) to how much you spend on gas, electricity, and water. The IRS just asks what you earn; the Commerce Department wants to know how you spend your money as well.

Even more invasive are the personal questions. The questionnaire asks how many people live with you and their relationship to you, along with their names, ages, gender, and race. Most creepy of all are the questions about your daily routine. The ACS wants to know where you work, what time you leave for work, how you get to work, how long it takes you to get to work, and how many people travel with you.

Downright Orwellian. That was my first thought when I received the form. And initially I didn't quite believe that the government would demand such personal information and threaten citizens with fines (up to $5,000) if they don't hand it over. When friends, from Justice Department officials to university lecturers, heard about it from me, their first thought was that it was some kind of sophisticated mail fraud. After learning that the ACS was real, I reluctantly spent an hour answering the questions - vowing at the same time to protest to my representatives in Congress - and dropped the form in the mail toward the end of January.

A few weeks after sending in the form, a representative of the ACS left a note at my apartment asking me to contact her. When I did, she said she'd like to come to my apartment to go through the questions. I replied that I'd already filled out the form, and if they'd lost it, it was their duty to find it. I also didn't want a stranger entering my home and asking personal questions (and ones that I'd already answered), I told her.

The ACS representative ignored my comments and later turned up twice unannounced at my apartment, demanding entry, and warning me of the fines I would face if I didn't cooperate. I cited the Fourth Amendment ("The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches..."), and reiterated what I told her on the phone. After that, on March 14, I sent a letter of complaint to her regional director."

Glenda Breese 4 years, 8 months ago

imastinker.........I can smell you from here! Must be one of them publicans! : )

BigDog 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess this shows you how bright the federal government is .......

What is the first question on the Census? How many people were living in your residence on April 1, 2010? But they want you to have already turned it in ..... prior to April 1st ..... pure genius

drnater 4 years, 8 months ago

beobachter you couldnt be more wrong, say a parents child who is gone to college completely fails at life there and has to move back home and the parents dont find out till the 31st of march. You live with only your mom because your parents are split yet they live in different cities, your mom dies and all the sudden you have to move in with someone, or even your mom doesnt want to take care of you so you get shipped to your dads. It was real tough to think of those and yet they all happen ALL the time everywhere in america. Pure Genius!!!!

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

Oldenough...

Did you read the form? They ask how much money you made in a bunch of different areas - how much you water bills are - whether you are disabled and in what way - These are very personal questions! I gave a link to the form.

Please read it and tell me it doesn't bother you to answer those questions.