Archive for Thursday, April 1, 2010

City sells out of woodchips; Friday and Saturday sales canceled

April 1, 2010

The city of Lawrence has canceled its spring woodchip sale for Friday and Saturday after residents bought all the chips the city had to sell Thursday morning.

The chips, as always, were sold on a first-come, first-served basis. The chips are made from recycled trees that city crews pick up during the course of the year.

The next opportunity to buy woodchips from the city will be in October.

Comments

KU_cynic 4 years, 8 months ago

Both the woodchip and compost sales sold out early this year.

It's clearly time to raise the price and limit one load per customer.

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

For the compost sale I saw Lawrence Landscape's truck loaded up with compost.

I have no idea how many times it went there - for all we know it might have been an owner or employee taking it to a personal residence - but it didn't seem fair if they were using those services for profit.

Kontum1972 4 years, 8 months ago

did they have salted, and unsalted..and mb japaleno?.......mmmmmmmm...!

RogueThrill 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why it would be unfair if they use it for profit. Citizens generate trash, the City picks it up and grinds it, someone else drags it away instead of it being dumped in a landfill.

As long as they aren't losing money I couldn't care less if they were selling it to the North Koreans.

gccs14r 4 years, 8 months ago

I was told that they cancelled the Saturday compost sale because of the threat of snow.

I thought compost wasn't to be used for commercial purposes. Maybe that was when it was free. At $10 a scoop, it's still a bargain (provided the loader gives you an actual scoop and doesn't short you).

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

Jonathan , could you get us some info on how much revenue is generated by these two sales given the fact that it costs easily a half million to collect it ,

average 4 years, 8 months ago

Of course, cowboy, the tip fees at the Hamm Landfill are free. Right?

impska 4 years, 8 months ago

gccs - Compost was 10 dollars by the truckload but free for self-fillers. The city didn't indicate in their newsletter that there was a self-filling option for the wood chips, only a pay by the truckload option.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

average , I'd like to know as the city adds costs does the process make sense. I would put forth that in this day and age of mulching mowers there is no reason to pick up yard clippings. Seems a very wasteful process from start to finish. Tree limbs is another story I understand .