Archive for Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pizza Shuttle driver robbed at gunpoint

Driver has money, personal property stolen

A local pizza delivery driver was robbed at gunpoint early Wednesday morning. Police are still looking for the suspects involved.

September 30, 2009

A Pizza Shuttle delivery driver was robbed at gunpoint early Wednesday morning.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, the driver, a 25-year-old Lawrence man, was delivering an order to the 1400 block of West Seventh street when the incident occurred. The driver reported he was robbed about 1:25 a.m. by a darker-skinned man and a white man. The darker-skinned man was carrying an unknown type of firearm and took an undetermined amount of cash and some personal property from the driver.

The two suspects then fled the scene westbound on foot. A possible suspect vehicle seen leaving the area was described as a dark-colored car with a boxy body style, possibly an import. The vehicle was reportedly occupied by a darker-skinned male subject.

The Pizza Shuttle driver described the darker-skinned man as being about 5-foot-9 with a stocky build. He was wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt. The white man was described as being six feet tall with an average build wearing a light-colored hooded sweatshirt and khaki shorts.

The possible suspect vehicle was last seen headed northbound on Lynch Court.

Police ask anyone with information to call the Lawrence Crime Stoppers hot line at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says…

Really bad Marion. Shame on you."

Marion writes:

Well, they've stolen all the money from taxpayers, so I figured they might be reduced to robbing pizza delivery guys.

Jim Fisher 4 years, 6 months ago

I worked at Shuttle longer than I'd care to admit. They encourage cash drops, and it only takes a minute to do. So the time that I was robbed, the perp only got away with about $60 cash and some checks. I thought it was funny the owner called those customers and asked for another check, but most complied. You just learn not to take chances, and not put yourself into an obviously bad situation at night. It wasn't a bad gig, and it allowed me to raise the kids during the day while the wife was at work. Take care of the pizza guy, he's usually driving over 100 miles every night, and one $1000 car repair from unemployment.

Starlight 4 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if that isn't their picture breaking into the bowling alley.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 6 months ago

Really bad Marion. Shame on you.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

The LJW wrote:

"The driver reported he was robbed about 1:25 a.m. by a darker-skinned man and a white man."

Marion writes:

Maybe these guys?

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey! Yellow house!

Must be some good bud your smoking!

High, and got the munches too?

Tried the Farm Shuttle, have them run it through twice in the conveyor oven until it's well done, well done is good because all those veggies makes a soggy crust thats garbage unless it's well done. If they won't run it through twice tell them you'll call their home office and complain about their soggy crust thats full of dish water from washing the veggies in the sink from last time you ordered. If they still refused to run it through twice tell them you'll call the health department about your last order that was full of wet soggy crust and raw veggies that made you sick.

This is your first post where you did not blast LPD.

Yea! We know how how it was.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 6 months ago

I love pizza shuttles pineapple Pizza !! SO good and the Soda has little round balls of ICE ! LOVE IT !!

Who Ever did it you are evil, Pizza Shut is a good place !

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

"Death Wish", anyone?

I am tempted to go "hunting".

mdrndgtl 4 years, 6 months ago

The pizza shuttle prices are robbery...

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

@ Marion

I always kept my old wooden number 2 driver with me for just that reason. But the closest I ever got to using it was to warn some stupid drunks to pick a fight with someone else. I still think it hits golf balls better then the my new one.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

I can't wait until some pizza delivery person just out-and-out blows away a robber, completely in violation of company rules.

firstnation101 4 years, 6 months ago

pizza shuttle only takes cash or check...poor beer guy i always tip my pizza person, but most of time i walk in, and like others cut off my land line

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

@OldEnuf2BYurDad

There is a reason I don't do deliveries anymore. And I got tried of being b*tched out whenever I wanted to cash out before taking another delivery. Speed is more important then safety to alot of these restaurants. If you lose it they take it out of your pay, why should they care. If you think $500 is alot, I've had over $800 the night KU basketball won the championship. I hid that money in my car. I only made $50 that night, drunk college students are worthless.

justanothertroll 4 years, 6 months ago

Pizza Shuttle is ok in a pinch, however, I wouldn't order it before midnight.

9070811 4 years, 6 months ago

They didn't take the pizza?

sinverguenza 4 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if they're the jerks who walk through my yard all the time. Get off my lawn, jerks!

blakec 4 years, 6 months ago

Ralphralph, call 842-1212 and you can talk to the owner yourself, you lazy bum.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

make a difference..all those things are true. but with recent reports of robberies by a team of black & white guys, this "darker-skinned" person is probably black and either the reporter or the victim are playing a game of who can be more PC. you know some people are afraid to call a black person black.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 6 months ago

"Since the CC laws took effect, crime has doubled in toontown!

Tripled in the past year it seems like."

/Social Scientician'd

maxcrabb 4 years, 6 months ago

RalphRalph- Yeah, the owners don't 'force' these 'kids' out to make deliveries. If you saw the stacks of applications for delivery drivers at Pizza Shuttle, you'd wonder how anyone is lucky enough to get called back.

And the owners also never expect someone to try and 'save the cash' rather than themselves. They understand one bag of cash is worth a lot less than someone's life.

I did a few night deliveries, and there was one in particular I was very suspicious of. I called the store after not being able to get the number on the pizza, and they told me not to bother.

And if you want to know who the owner is so bad just go to the damn store yourself.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 6 months ago

Since the CC laws took effect, crime has doubled in toontown!

Tripled in the past year it seems like.

RogueThrill 4 years, 6 months ago

Concealed carry isn't going to help you if you are already at gun point. Pulling a gun out at that point would be pretty dumb.

VoiceOfReason 4 years, 6 months ago

Chic - great idea about the land-line, but a lot of us homeowners have foregone land-lines and only have cell phones now. That would exclude a large market share. The credit card idea, after certain hours, makes sense, too, but this is a college town and a lot of college kids scrape up cash. I don't pretend to know the solution, but it can be a dangerous job...obviously. I just tip well and appreciate the work they do. I wouldn't do the job without a loaded .45 as my partner, personally, but that would go over like a ton of bricks in this town.

make_a_difference 4 years, 6 months ago

They weren't using another way to say "black". A darker skinned person could be Native American, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Asian, Indian, etc. One of the great unique aspects of Lawrence is the diversity of the population. Maybe using the term "non-caucasian" would be clearer?

RogueThrill 4 years, 6 months ago

I assume he said darker-skinned because he couldn't identify the ethnicity in the darkness, only that he was not white.

ralphralph 4 years, 6 months ago

25 years old IS a kid, if it's YOUR kid, and they aren't all that old. The point is that somebody is sending a (insert appropriate term for relatively young individual) out into the night, alone, subject to violent mischief, so they can make a few bucks. Who are the owners who are making that decision? Would they send their own (relatively young individual) out under those conditions? This isn't a new problem in Lawrence, where pizza guys have been getting knocked over for years. Same old story ....... indifferent businessman-type hires a (relatively young individual) to do something dangerous for very little pay, and the (relatively young individual) takes the job because they need the money so badly or they lack the experience and common sense not to do it. Indifferent businessman-type is able, apparently, to sleep at night anyways.
We need to be the collective conscience for those who lack their own. Who is the owner?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

I love how we've created a brand new way to say black (darker-skinned)..I'm surprised that African American has become such a bad word already. we'll just chuck it on the dead word pile with the rest of the once fully acceptable words.

Jeanne Cunningham 4 years, 6 months ago

A 25-year-old is NOT a kid.

I'd guess that for one to "decide" to rob a pizza guy, one might not be totally in control of one's faculties... drugs, maybe?

I think that apartment complexes should have better-lighted parking lots and security cameras.

Also, pizza places should be required to do call-backs to a land line after midnight or so. Sometimes they do a call-back but it's to a cell phone. Some pizza thiefs are not bright enough to not answer the call back and then get caught that way....

BTW - I LOVE several Pizza Shuttle pizzas - Super Shuttles, BTO Shuttles, Cheeseburger Shuttles and Cheesesticks - especially Brandy B's with cream cheese!! Not to mention Sweetsticks for "dessert". I'm getting hungry!

And, they have THE BEST sodas - because they still taste good after the ice starts melting. AND, it's THE BEST ice, too!!!

ralphralph 4 years, 6 months ago

Rob a pizza man, get $ 5 to $ 50 most likely, maybe up to $ 500 if Halley's Comet is passing by. Get caught for armed robbery, and with no priors the presumptive sentence is 5 years in prison. These guys don't have a very good appreciation of "risk-reward" analysis. $50 vs 5 years? Sure! Go for it! PS - who owns the businesses that are sending out kids, alone and unarmed, in the middle of the night like this?

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

This sounds like a replay of last weeks Pizza driver, a 5' 9" man with a stocky build and a hooded tee shirt. It is either the same robbery or the same robber and maybe the same driver. Something is "fishy" here. Conclusion: Do not deliver to anyone wearing a hooded sweat shirt when it is warm enough he is wearing shorts.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

"I've had upwards of $500 in cash at a time."

Utter foolishness. You are asking to get KILLED for that kind of cash.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

Happy pizza dude is doing well but I have to say that Pizza Shuttle is nasty. Their pie is so bad that Joe Rogan would have to pay me to eat it even at my drunkest. Here is a survey for ya: which is the lesser of two evils for late night drunk eating, Pizza Scuttle or Burrito King?

TheJokerObama 4 years, 6 months ago

Men in Black drove a boxy type of car.

agilla 4 years, 6 months ago

This terrifies me - my son is a delivery driver for Pizza Hut, used to work for Shuttle. He's been robbed once before, and I am afraid he will get hurt. It's not worth it! They keep cutting back his hours. He needs a safer job that offers him more hours. Please be kind to your delivery driver, he's just doing his job =) Plus, his mommy loves him

conservativepunker 4 years, 6 months ago

Shouldn't it be "lighter skinned" person? How racist....

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 6 months ago

Beerguy -

Damn. That's a lot of money. In Boulder a couple years ago, we ordered delivery to a hotel room and they would only take credit cards after 10 pm.

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

These delivery drivers have much more then you think. They don't get tipped crap, but they make alot of deliveries. I've had upwards of $500 in cash at a time. But now I'm sure these restaurants are going to start cashing out there drivers a lot more often.

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

Do those pizza places really make that much money delivering pizza at those early morning hours? I guess there would be quite a few drunk and hungry/munchy kids at 1 to 3 a.m.

sierraclub 4 years, 6 months ago

The criminals are just misunderstood. They are hungry.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm not a pizza robber, but if I was I would target Papa Keno's or Rudy's drivers. How much money could you possibly get off a Pizza Shuttle delivery guy. He's delivering $5 pizzas.

Boeing 4 years, 6 months ago

A dark-person and a white-person with an unknown firearm driving a boxy car, possibly not American. Put out the APB...

middlemgmt 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess they will have to stop delivering in the middle of the night.

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

Armed escorts in Ford Escorts...now there's an idea.

OutlawJHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence delivery drivers might need armed escorts. If they could drop one of these turds, I bet these crimes would diminish.

ironhorse66 4 years, 6 months ago

more here than meets the eye I am sure? Maude Harmon...any thoughts?

weatherguy48 4 years, 6 months ago

"The possible suspect vehicle was last seen headed northbound on Lynch Court"

I would hope that it ended on Lynch court....would've made sense.

Another reason to hate my job.

The_Voice_of_Reason 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, how pathetic and stupid does someone have to be to rob a pizza guy... they probably only got 50 bucks... hope thats worth the jail time... Losers

KacieFaye 4 years, 6 months ago

What's new? Crime, ..crime, ...crime.