Archive for Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lawrence woman treated and released after bicycle-car accident

September 30, 2009

A 28-year-old Lawrence woman suffered minor injuries after being hit on her bike by a car Tuesday evening. The accident occurred near Ninth and Indiana streets about 6:20 p.m. The driver of the car, a 27-year-old Lawrence woman, was turning left to go south on Indiana street when she hit the bicyclist. The bicyclist was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 10 months ago

More details could have been provided, but if you know the intersection in question, then you can easily answer your questions for yourself, without jumping to the conclusions to which you appear to be lurching.

Kat Christian 5 years, 10 months ago

Why do people have to comment on other people's comments? This blog isn't about what other people comment about the article it is about the article itself. The problem here is bicylisit are in danger in this town. Oh sure Doc says 'ride a bike for exercize" ... and put your life in the line. Either way you ride or not you put your life on the line. It's dangerous out there. Everytime I get on my bike I'm terrified to some point. Driver's done pay attention, bikers take too many chances. Somewhere there has to be a compromise. I hate to think more laws have to be developed because of this, but what other choice do we have? Some people just don't want to listen, take responsibility or be considerate of others.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 10 months ago

Going south on Kasold the other morning, I and several other cars followed three bicyclists, two taking up the inside lane and the other in the middle of the outside lane. They were happily chatting away while the hoards of cars were trying to drive 5 mph in BOTH LANES. This went on for several blocks.

I am getting really tired of the bicyclists that are so arrogant. This is an exceptional incident, but lately I have just noticed more and more behaviors like this. Come on riders - we don't want to run you over. It would ruin both our days.

nomorebobsplease 5 years, 10 months ago

Bozo-I am unfamiliar with this particular intersection. I have driven many times down 9th, but I am not remembering any particular detals or unique charactaristics of this intersection. And I don't think that I should necessarily hop in my truck and drive across town to take a look. Sooooo, I'm thinking Consumer1's question is valid......

Outwest 5 years, 10 months ago

Roger, you need to venture out past your "lifeflighting" issue. Surely you have a few other thoughts...or maybe not...

parrothead8 5 years, 10 months ago

Orrr...anyone with computer access could go to Google Maps and zoom to street level to find out that the intersection of 9th and Indiana has no light, but that vehicles entering 9th from Indiana have stop signs.

So, if the driver of the car was on 9th, turning left to go south on Indiana, the cyclist must have:

1) Been passing her on the left (possible, but not likely on a 4-lane road); 2) Going the other way on 9th (in which case I fail to see how the driver of the car could not see her); or 3) running a stop sign (possible, but unlikely for a cyclist crossing a main 4-lane road.)

Maybe one of them was texting. Regardless, I hope the cyclist is okay.