Archive for Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Former Jefferson County commissioner free on bond

September 30, 2009

A former Jefferson County Commissioner who was charged with two theft counts this week was free on bond Wednesday after his initial court appearance, a jail official said.

Don Edmonds, of McLouth, who resigned as commissioner in January, posted $5,000 bond, sheriff’s officials said.

County attorney Caleb Stegall filed charges of theft in excess of $100,000 and attempted theft in excess of $100,000 against Edmonds.

Earlier this year, sheriff’s officials began investigating a reported theft at a McLouth BP station that Edmonds had owned and managed at the time for Haag Oil of Topeka. But Stegall on Tuesday said the victim in the case was King’s Construction Co. of Oskaloosa, not Haag Oil. Authorities have not provided additional details in the case.

Jennifer Best, an office manager for the construction company, said Wednesday the charges have to do with fuel. Sheriff Jeff Herrig has said allegations stem from theft by deception.

Comments

mdrndgtl 5 years, 2 months ago

Congrats Don, you probably should think about running away lest John Law gets an itch to haul you back to the brig.

hurtfamilymember 5 years, 2 months ago

What about all the little people that Don Edmonds took money from??? They trusted Don, now they are left without thier hard earned dollars. Nothing like screwing over the people that supported your business!!!!

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 2 months ago

well said hurtfamilymember...his actions affected quite a few people. To think I always thought of him as a good man, with good morals.

Sunny Parker 5 years, 2 months ago

Hurtfamilymember you are an idiot!

What about all the 'little' people that Mr. Edmonds let charge hundreds of thousands of dollars and they never paid it back?

This man has helped more people than got hurt with Kings Construction!

He was trying to do Kings a favor. Gas prices went through the roof....

He has helped so many people in that small community!

tammi bolinger foster 5 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree with Sunny! If it weren't for all the people that wrote bad checks, (that he never prosecuted on,) charged gas and never paid it back, or all the employees over the last 20 some years that either stole from him themselves or gave merchandise away to friends and family this mans integrity would not even be in question! I have known him for 30 years and he is a kind, decent man who has tried to help everyone he has ever met. I worked for him for a long time and he believed in me when no one else did....so now I am returning the favor. I am behind him 100% because I know what kind of man he truly is...and I'm not ashamed to have people know who I am!

tammi bolinger foster 5 years, 2 months ago

I assumed my name was public since I didn't ask to be anonymous, but guess not...so anyway my name is Tammi and anyone from McLouth will know who I am...and now you all know how I feel

msfefe43 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Donnie should go out and collect all the money people in and around McLouth owe him for gas and oil who have never bothered to pay. Then start collecting from all the thieves who helped themselves to gas, coffee, food, cigs and other merchandise. When he finishes he would have more than enough to pay the debt King Brothers say he owes them.

joedoe 5 years, 2 months ago

Some of you really have no idea just how serious this whole situation is. Or just how much he got not only from Kings but from others. Maybe you are just turning a blind eye.

gr 5 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I'm trying to understand a few things here. $100,000 and why didn't either the gas company or King's notice before it got that much? I mean, do either make so much profit that 100K is hard to spot? I mean, unless you if you are running a very large business, and even if it's over a year or two, and 100K falls out of the bucket, wouldn't you miss it way before that time?

"filed charges of theft in excess of $100,000 and attempted theft in excess of $100,000 "

Does that mean he stole 100K and attempted to steal another 100K meaning no one noticed until the second 100k was attempted to be stolen? Or are they double charging him?