Archive for Monday, September 28, 2009

Leavenworth County Road 1 striping ready to go forward

Turnpike interchange opening still in the future

September 28, 2009

Crews are scheduled to start melting strips of thermoplastic into the fresh pavement atop a new Leavenworth County Road 1 beginning Wednesday.

Once that striping is complete — by the end of the week, weather permitting — traffic will be free to drive unimpeded for the entire 5.62 miles between the intersection with U.S. Highway 24-40, just south of Tonganoxie, and the intersection with U.S. Highway 32.

Rex Fleming, project engineer for the Kansas Turnpike, said that the road’s wider lanes, roadside shoulders and safer driving profile would be ready for all traffic, once appropriate lane markings were in place.

But there’s still work to be done in the area. The turnpike’s new Tonganoxie-Eudora interchange, which connects to County Road 1, is scheduled to open by the end of the year.

Comments

hail2oldku 5 years, 7 months ago

"The turnpike’s new Tonganoxie-Eudora interchange, which connects to County Road 1, is scheduled to open by the end of the year."

Is it just my imagination or didn't the JW run a story indicating that this interchange was ahead of schedule and would be open in early September? What happened?

tbaker 5 years, 7 months ago

Hail - me too. I thought the same thing, then I went back and searched the archives.

The ROAD itself will be opened this month, but the toll booth / interchange off I-70 won't be ready till the end of the year. I drove down there and took a look at it yesterday. It's done from what I can see. There is no construction activity anywhere. Perhaps some technology issue remains. They say this is going to be a completely automated toll booth - no people running it at all (kinda like Colorado has been doing for years).

For that matter, I don't know of another 5.62 miles of road that has taken this long to build. The Empire State building went up faster than this.

kansasmutt 5 years, 7 months ago

Rain Rain Rain. It has rained at least once every 3 days since february, that is why it got behind. They were ahead , but more rain at a bad time set it back 3 weeks. I am just glad it is going to open this week.

imastinker 5 years, 7 months ago

THANK goodness!!!

I drive to eudora once a week and have to drive nearly to lawrence from tongie to get on 32 and then back to eudora.....

tbaker 5 years, 7 months ago

Your right Kansasmutt, I'm probably being a bit too hard on the construction crews. It has rained a lot.

farva 5 years, 7 months ago

Why didn't you just take county 25 from Tongie? It would have saved you probably 10 miles each way.