Archive for Monday, September 28, 2009

KU-Iowa State football game to kick off at 11:30 a.m.

Contest will be televised on Versus

September 28, 2009

Opurum shines in brighter spotlight

From Class 5A Texas high school football to KU's Memorial Stadium, Toben Opurum has been a workhorse of a running back. Enlarge video

Kansas University’s Big 12 football opener against Iowa State will kick off at 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 10 and will be televised on Versus (Sunflower Broadband channels 38 and 238).

It will be the third straight home game with a start time before noon for the Jayhawks.

KU has a bye week this week, while Iowa State takes on Kansas State on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

Other Big 12 games on television next week include Texas A&M-Oklahoma; State at 11:30 a.m. on Fox Sports Net, Oklahoma-Baylor at 2:30 p.m. on ABC and Texas-Colorado at 6:15 p.m. on ESPN or ESPN2.

rse1979 6 years, 2 months ago

11:30am just to be on Versus? Not worth it.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 2 months ago

If they're going to make me get up that early to support the Jayhawks, can we at least get the games televised on a decent channel?! I also do NOT understand why they do these early kick off times on Homecoming weekend (did it last year too). It causes a lot of scheduling issues with the activities that occur before the game...

Martini_Boy 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm tired of the early starts. Can we have just 1:00 start again? That is the perfect time for a game. it allows time for early festivities, it warms up a little more, and we just don't seem to play our best starting early....

Are you in agreement???

Pat Long 6 years, 2 months ago

In full agreement, Martini. This silliness by Perkins, Inc. has gone on long enough. Band Day was a joke with no parade. Barcaloungers in the end zone. 40 mil for an east facade? Yet, Lew doesn't have anything in his 40 years of experience to address the off the field fights. Bull$hit! Wake up, Lawrence and Jayhawk nation! Enough is enough!

G_E 6 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, Lew is just running KU athletics into the ground!

...Oh wait.

riverdrifter 6 years, 2 months ago

"Only if we suck again and aren't on tv." That's about the size of it. I hope Direct TV and Versus kiss and make up before game day. You can get it on Dish TV though.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 2 months ago

trollkiller 6 years, 2 months ago

This was the worst participation for Band Day ever. Who do you think screwed it up? That's right, Lew Perkins! When are we going to unload this clown?

somebodynew 6 years, 2 months ago

riverdrifter - question for you. What channel is vs on Dish??

d_prowess 6 years, 2 months ago

So just to be sure, did I just read two comments slamming Perkins because of a poor Band Day?!
We are fielding a top 20 football team, getting over 50,000 fans a game, and actually getting national tv exposure, but people are complaining about Band Day being small?! Amazing...

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 2 months ago

So let me get this straight. 11:30am on a Saturday, way too early for tailgating, drinking, and partying, or for watching a football game on TV. But thirty minutes later on a Sunday, widely accepted practice with no complaints.

Sounds like some people need to get the rod out of their rear ends.

BigAl 6 years, 2 months ago

Lighten up people. This is all about TV. Lew Perkins has nothing to do with it. Nothing. Lew Perkins does NOT schedule games on television. You can bash him all you want but he doesnt set starting times for ANYONE.

As far as Band Day, yes it was a joke. People drive in from all over just for the parade. It brings a lot of exposure for downtown and the Marching Jayhawks. Hopefully, next year we will be back to having a full and proper band day.

Martini_Boy 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey tagg, I don't do Sunday football so put that in your tailgate and smoke it.....

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Band Day was small. I remember when I was in H.S. back in the '70's, the whole bowl was full of bands.
But that is the point isn't it? Now the bowl is full of fans. I don't know where you would put all the bands. Isn't that the definition of success?

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 6 years, 2 months ago

What exactly do people expect Lew to do? Turn down TV games just so you can have a kickoff an hour and a half later? Give me a break.

If they weren't on TV people would be whining about that.

davidsmom 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand any of the whining. Whatever time the game kicks off, we just go and have fun.

rgh 6 years, 2 months ago

It doesn't matter what time they start or what channel it's on, KU's going to take it for the $$$$. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the TV networks and the order they get to pick the week's games. You can't really expect KU-Iowa State to be a prime time slot.

Maybe if we are still undefeated and playing OU or Nebraska, then we'll get prime time with a channel everyone can get. I have to drive 3 hours just to get to Lawrence and that doesn't include getting into the stadium, my food, and to my seat. That usually means getting up at 5:00 AM to get to Lawrence and the stadium so people in Lawrence and KC need to quit complaining.

wweens 6 years, 1 month ago

Can someone give me an online streaming site? I'm in NY and can't get Versus.