Archive for Friday, September 25, 2009

Two more northeast Kansas residents die from swine flu

September 25, 2009, 12:08 p.m. Updated September 25, 2009, 1:50 p.m.

State health officials say two more people in northeast Kansas have died from swine flu, bringing the state’s fatal H1N1 virus case total to six.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said Friday that the deaths of a 39-year-old woman and a 30-year-old woman were reported to the department Thursday afternoon. Laboratory testing had determined earlier this month that both women had contracted the swine flu virus.

KDHE said both women had underlying health conditions that made them more susceptible to contracting influenza.

Johnson County Health Department Friday afternoon confirmed the 30-year-old woman was from Johnson County. Health officials in Douglas and Leavenworth counties said KDHE has not contacted them, so the deaths likely have not occurred in those counties. Shawnee County officials would not release any details.

Four other swine flu deaths were reported earlier in Kansas, including two other northeast Kansas residents.

Swine flu cases have been confirmed in 55 of the state’s 105 counties since the first cases were reported in late April.

Comments

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

The dude that lives in the apartment below me just found out yesterday that he has it. Fun fun

newmedia 4 years, 10 months ago

Many sympathies. We don't need to know the names but would be nice to be a little more specific on the location of these folks other than northeast Kansas...Unless I missed it somewhere, which may be possible..

kjo_shorty 4 years, 10 months ago

newmedia... I agree. I would really like to know if these people were living in close proximity to myself and my family. That is 6 total now, with 4 being in Northeast Kansas in only a few short days. May the Lord help their families through this very difficult time or loss.

Tex 4 years, 10 months ago

Does the LJ-W report the names of people who die from seasonal flu?

redmoonrising 4 years, 10 months ago

I think until the KDHE releases the information to the counties where deaths occur, that information is not available to the general public. Then it is up to the county to release it or not.

As to the video, it is true that about 500 people developed Guillain-Barre Syndrome after receiving the vaccinations. It does not seem to be associated with any other flu vaccines. This new one remains to be seen. However, this disease more often follows the body having an infectious agent, such as a cold or the flu. There seems to be no reason why a few people get it after these when most of us never do get it. I watched a young college student suffering from this disease. He was on a trach tube with a ventilator since the paralysis was so widespread his breathing muscles didn't work. He had had a mild cold a short time before developing Guillain-Barre. He recovered but it was a long, slow process. There is no reason to believe that these shots will cause it or that we can't get it if we don't have the shot. That is just a toss of the coin. It is unfair to cause panic about this until there is reason to believe that the vaccine will cause Guillain-Barre. It's just like giving our kids vaccines against childhood diseases. A very few have severe reactions to them. Do we not vaccinate any of our kids and let them get the diseases, some of whom will die from them? Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life.

Bobbi Reid 4 years, 10 months ago

After talking to numerous health care providers, I have decided that no one in my family will be getting the H1N1 vaccine. My daughters 4 and 11 will however get the regular flu vaccine. I would rather take my chances than subject them to a fast tracked vaccine, that we don't know all of the potential side effects for.

Tex 4 years, 10 months ago

Our doctor/pediatrician, who is not a koo-koo nut like me, said she didn't know if she'd allow her kids to have the new vaccine or not (for what it's worth).

George_Braziller 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't need to know the names or where they lived. I'd just like to know what the "underlying health conditions" were that made them more susceptible -- Diabetes, HIV, Heart Disease, Crohns Disease, Cancer, MS . . .?