Archive for Thursday, September 24, 2009

KU student reports sexual assault attempt

September 24, 2009

Lawrence police are investigating an attempted sexual assault against a Kansas University student, which reportedly occurred early Thursday morning near campus.

An 18-year-old woman told police she was walking alone around 2:45 a.m., in the 1200 block of Ohio Street, when she was confronted by three or four suspects who were wearing baseball caps.

"The victim reported one of the males pushed her to the ground and the other suspects attempted to hold her down while one of the men attempted to sexually assault her," a police report said. "The victim reported that she was able to kick free and fled on foot to a nearby friend's house."

Police said the woman was not injured.

Comments

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

An 18-year-old woman told police she was walking alone around 2:45 a.m., in the 1200 block of Ohio Street, How smart is this?

DrMoody 5 years, 2 months ago

Yeah what a dumbass for almost getting raped. Shut up Wally.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

that area up around the University is a festering hellhole. robberies, assault, what else? Maybe it's time that we started having bicycle/walking police inundate that area from midnight to 4:00 or so.

nobody should be walking alone in that neighborhood in the middle of the night.

number1jayhawker 5 years, 2 months ago

Have to agree with wally on this one. There comes a point in time when you just have to think of what are the consequences if I do this.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

No, Wally is right. Whether or not it's fair: it's dumb to walk around this town (especially that part of town) after midnight - even if you aren't a young woman. I was in school here a quarter century ago, and we offered a service on Daisy Hill for guys to escort women when they had to walk late at night. No one took us up on it... but women were still being raped on a regular basis.

It's a reality: there is a risk of rape that young women need to take seriously, period. No, it's not fair. No, it's not their fault if they are attacked. But it is common sense.

We need an undercover operation on Mt. Oread. Have a little cop stumble down an alley with a wire, and see the riff-raff jump out of the bushes.

frowniebrown 5 years, 2 months ago

Wally, it does not MATTER if what the victim did was sensible in your eyes or not. What you are insinuating is that she is responsible for the attack, and that is unacceptable. The men in the baseball caps are 100% responsible for THEIR actions. End of story.

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

You have to acknowledge both aspects of it. First, and overwhelmingly most importantly, it is NEVER the fault of the victim when she is attacked like this. Never. Second, even though it would be wonderful if we did not have to adjust our actions to account for bad actors out there, we can hope people will learn from these incidents to think ahead about the situations they put themselves into. That is forward-looking, not addressed to the victim of this assault. Those two ideas can seem to clash a bit. However, I can look at it this way: If I am advising my daughter what to do, will I tell her to go ahead and put herself into any situation she chooses, no matter what, because if someone does something to hurt her, it won't be her fault; or, should I perhaps tell her that there are wolves in the world, and you need to be aware of your surroundings and circumstances, and try to avoid being put in a position where you are vulnerable to the bad guys. That said, even when one is alert and tries to avoid such situations, sometimes they can't be avoided, and the wolves do their thing. Bottom line to me: The victim should never feel guilty or ashamed, and should never be blamed, and others should learn from the bad experiences of others, lest they repeat the experience.

d_prowess 5 years, 2 months ago

She is definitely not responsible for the attack, but she (and really everyone) needs to be smart about things. We don't live in a perfectly safe world so you need to think about what you are doing and if it is safe.

vilduhellerblogspotcom 5 years, 2 months ago

not the best bet walking around at the time stated but what kind of person, let alone four people walk about in hopes of attacking and abusing a girl. perhaps one deranged person here and there but four. doesn't make sense.

additionally, this town needs more street lights.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

Okay to all you jumping to conclusions as to what I am saying. Answer me this: Are the following actions smart? Driving Drunk? Sledding off a 30 foot roof top? Driving a car through East Sait Louis at 2 am. ?! (believe me on this one. We knew we missid an exit.) As a friend of mine once remarked "only stupid white boys water and snow ski." What I am saying is perhaps she should have taken a cab. Am I not inferring that she deserved to be assaulted in any way shape or form. I am truely sorry that Lawrence has sunk to such a low state of affairs that four women are assulted every week.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

Oops, should read as missed an exit. Once one crosses the MO. river keep going or turn around quick. And the stats should have read "There's a rape in Lawrence every four days." LJW. We all know there is no sex in violence.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

sting operation anyone ?

the police could have some fun with this and I am pretty sure the public would approve.

kateku 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Wally and I'm a fairly independent woman... NO ONE deserves to be violated, but we should all (man, woman, adult, child) keep ouselves out of situations that could perhaps put us in harms way.

gsxr600 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why an 18 year old KU student would be walking around anywhere at 2:45am? If anything, surely she was sober because everyone knows you can't drink before turning 21...

Happy she didn't get raped, still stupid.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

"Also, I applaude this woman for Kicking some A$$ to protect herself. Way to go."

Honestly, these guys weren't really willing to go the whole way. Four guys got her down, then she fights them off? No, they let her go; maybe in part because of the commotion she made.

Regardless, this is traumatic for her and I'll join whatever "goon squad" may presently be in the forming stages. I got pliers and blowtorches, and can lend out some pipe wrenches if you promise to clean off the evidence before giving them back.

WiseOne 5 years, 2 months ago

Girls, enough of this- go buy you a tazer. Than walk alone if you must. Be smart.