Archive for Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Third forum on homelessness and mental illness scheduled for Monday

September 23, 2009

Homelessness and mental health advocates will be hosting the third of a four-part series of forums at 7 p.m. Monday at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt.

The forums, sponsored by the Coalition on Homeless Concerns, Recovery and Hope Network, and the InterFaith Initiative, are designed to raise awareness about mental health issues and homelessness. Monday’s forum, titled “Community Resources,” will focus on what is available and needed locally to more effectively serve the homeless and those with mental illnesses.

The final forum will be at 7 p.m. on Nov. 30 at the library, and will focus on possible solutions discussed during the series.

For more information, contact Steve Ozark at 760-3143 or at oztalent@aol.com.

Comments

Amy Heeter 4 years, 6 months ago

ivalueamerica (Anonymous) "Alcholism is also a major factor, but no one wants to pay for rehab either. The problem will not go away, we need to address it."

WRONG! Heartland RADAC will cover the cost of treatment and housing.

Boris 4 years, 6 months ago

This town seems to really like forums, meetings and committees don't they? Does anything ever get accomplished by them?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 6 months ago

Mental illness and homlessness more often than not go hand in hand, not laziness as the homeless bashers like to imply.

Alcholism is also a major factor, but no one wants to pay for rehab either.

The problem will not go away, we need to address it.

alchemist 4 years, 6 months ago

I think these meeting are a good idea. I know I would be more supportive of the homeless in town if I hadn't been cornered and followed by several of the men on more than once occasion when I was downtown. I had one block my entry into my car and I have to say I was scared as it was at night and I was alone. I just don't have support or necessarily want to go out of my way to help people who try to hurt or intimidate others, it's not a way to garner sympathy or understanding especially when I live paycheck to paycheck myself.

couranna1 4 years, 6 months ago

stop these they are pointless

teacher101 4 years, 6 months ago

We need to do everything possible to spend all of Lawrences money on complete strangers. We need to reward them for their bad choices. Please give as much as possible.

SpiritTat 4 years, 6 months ago

These kind of informational meetings can serve many important functions, not only sharing of information about resources! Finding acceptance and/or a place where one can go where s/he isn't judged for having a mental illness is a huge step in recovery. Glad the LJWorld posts such info ~

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

The inmates are running the asylum.