Archive for Wednesday, September 23, 2009

5 KU freshmen earn full-ride scholarships for perfect scores on standardized tests

September 23, 2009

Five Kansas University freshmen have earned large scholarships after posting perfect standardized test scores.

Four are Kansas high school graduates, making them eligible for KU’s Perfect Achievement Scholarship, worth $15,500 per year. A Missouri high school graduate also earned a perfect score and earned a scholarship worth $10,000 per year.

Scholarship recipients are Daniel Gritz, a Shawnee Mission East High School graduate; Nina Mathew, a Pittsburg High School graduate; Emily E. Parsons, a Manhattan High School graduate; Bailey Reimer, a Shawnee Mission Northwest High School graduate; and Morgan Tichy, a graduate of Parkway West High School in Ballwin, Mo.

The Perfect Achievement Scholarship covers 30 hours of tuition a year for four years for those who earn perfect scores on either the ACT or the SAT exams. The scholarship also provides housing, books and meals.

Comments

ralphralph 4 years, 6 months ago

The SAT-takers are going all G on the ACT-takers ......... .. and don't get me started on the ACT(non-writing)!

salad 4 years, 6 months ago

lawrenceguy40 (Anonymous) says… "But where do we stop with the freebies?"

I'd say these kids probably started "paying" for these scholarships in the first grade. I fail to see a freebie; they earned em. Case closed. Interesting that it appears to be only one guy among the 5 winners....probably not statistically significant in this small a group.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

But where do we stop with the freebies? Taxpayer funded Mercedes? We need to transition away from this entitlement society and bring back a realism that nothing is free in the world. You may not be paying, but your neighbors are! If that is by their choice, good. If it is through state removal of their hard earned assets, I call that theft.

Joehawk - I see that some of the scholarships your family bled dry, were completely wasted. Hope I wasn't paying for the ditch digger's education. If we are to give this free money away, perhaps we should have some commitment from the recipient, as the military does.

kusp8 4 years, 6 months ago

Dang it!!! Just another way Obama's taking over the country with his fascist ideals...psh, kids that can get a scholarship for being ridiculously smart and studying hard makes me sick!!!!

/sarcasm

In all seriousness, congratulations!

Bud Stagg 4 years, 6 months ago

Lawrenceguy, I have had several family members get scholarships. We are not elitists. We are school teachers, bankers, engineers, Doctors, nurses, ditch diggers, etc. They all needed that money to go to college or they were able to extend their education to become a doctor or nurse. They are now contributing to society in a better way.

I find the use of taxpayer money to improve our society to be a good thing. We could always use that money to build bigger prisons because that where a lot of the people who get scholarships would end up if they don't get higher education oportunities.

Boris 4 years, 6 months ago

Comeon Lawrenceguy, I paid my way through college too while in the military. I am happy to see these students get a scholarship for academics. I would much rather see a kid get an academic scholarship than one for sports.

overthemoon 4 years, 6 months ago

My student got a 33. 3 little points away from free education. Ah well.

Agree with Dr. Moody's comments regarding stupid comments. Fear of education and attacking those who strive for an understanding of our world is a scourge of our present political and social landscape. Every person has a place of value in our society, but I will assure you, we don't want a Joe the Plumber in charge!

password 4 years, 6 months ago

scholarships for the most part are funded by donor contributions to the university and the endowment.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

I paid my way through college (a college that didn't take handouts from hard working taxpayers to fund its operations) and my kids and I have just finished paying their way through college (again, without a penny of taxpayers' money).

All these "scholarships" achieve is to prove to a few bright kids that they can bum from the taxpayer for the rest of their lives (probably as professors at a liberal college like KU). The taxpayer should not have to fund the education of the elite....

alchemist 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally. Some good news coming from up on the hill. Too bad these students were recruited for the football or basketball teams. They probably have better manners and know how to act like adults too.

DrMoody 4 years, 6 months ago

LawrenceGuy40.

Not only is your cynicism misguided, it's completely childish. Judging on your post I'd say you were pretty far away from obtaining a perfect score on ANY test, let alone a standardized test. These EXCEPTIONAL students deserve a full ride scholarship, and they might grow up to become elitists, but it's only because they're more intelligent then you.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Awesome, absolutely awesome. Thank goodness there are a few brilliant bulbs left amonst the decaying and rotting brains of most of our youth. I wish all of you well. Now get in there, and kick some ass. (figuratively, of course).

Socratic 4 years, 6 months ago

First of all, kudos to the students of Kansas and Missouri who accomplished this feat. Hats off as well to their parents and the educators who supported them. Thanks also to LJ World for reporting this good news.

I would also like to thank KU Admissions for providing these scholarships. Very good move to try to attract some of our own best students to remain in the area for their undergraduate education. I think it is a good idea to cultivate Kansas and Missouri talent here at home.

Perfect scores on the ACT and SAT are very rare and difficult to obtain. I believe there were only about 10 in Kansas last year. Scoring well on these tests is an important step to financing a quality college education, and I hope this program inspires more students to strive to achieve high scores.

wordgenie8 4 years, 6 months ago

I'd think they'd be lonely in Lawrence, but it is good to hear we have promising young scholars among us. Learn and grow and reach for your potential!

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

Who pays for these free rides? The overburdened tax payers of Kansas, I guess.

It is time KU paid its own way. No more of our money to pay for turning rich kids into the future liberal elites.....

Horace 4 years, 6 months ago

Shawnee Mission, Hail to thee, Lancers we will always be.

newmedia 4 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to these young people for a job well done.

Eride 4 years, 6 months ago

Some positive KU news. Yay.