Archive for Monday, September 21, 2009

Kwik Shop closes West 23rd Street store

September 21, 2009

A longtime convenience store on 23rd Street is closed this week, as the site waits to be sold to a new owner.

Kwik Shop, 1714 W. 23rd St., closed Sunday and its in-store displays, shelving and other items were dumped in trash bins outside.

“We didn’t renew our lease,” said Neal Sawyer, who works at another Kwik Shop in Lawrence. “They wanted somebody else in there after we’ve been there ‘x’ number of years.”

That would be since 1961, said Sawyer, who noted that employees from the closed store now are working at other Kwik Shops in town, all six of which remain open.

Kwik Shop is owned by Kroger Co., with regional offices in Hutchinson.

Carolyn Wulfkuhle, a co-owner of the former Kwik Shop building and site, said that the property was under contract to be sold to an individual. Closing is expected within a couple of weeks.

Wulfkuhle declined to identify the buyer, nor to speculate on what might replace Kwik Shop at the site.

Comments

5 years, 8 months ago

Well with 4 other gas stations within a block I'm not sure they'll be missed.

5 years, 8 months ago

My bad, I was thinking about EAST 23rd. Still there are other stations close enough.

eotw33 5 years, 8 months ago

Kroger needs to learn to keep things nice and clean, then maybe they would get more business.

iowastreetradar 5 years, 8 months ago

The Kwikshop lost their lease because rent went up by two thousand dollars per month.

Eddie Muñoz 5 years, 8 months ago

Every Kwik Shop, Dillons, and Kroger store I've ever been in have been nice and clean...

MissinLawrence 5 years, 8 months ago

Is this the one by the subway? If so, good, that store was gross.

Bassetlover 5 years, 8 months ago

Loved getting the gas discount using my Dillons card. I will miss it for sure!

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 8 months ago

Kinda creepy that the only thing that has survived on that side of the block is Subway...

headdoctor 5 years, 8 months ago

MissinLawrence (Anonymous) says… Is this the one by the subway? If so, good, that store was gross.

I agree. I suspect it was partly because that building has had a lot of issues and may still have them. One of which was a faulty sewer line under the foundation. It may be no one wanted to put the money into fixing it so it was better to move on.

GetAlongGang 5 years, 8 months ago

Ricky, the Subway is going next. I heard Jimmy John's wants out of their strip mall location next to disgusting Gumby's. They are going to buy and remodel the Subway. JJ's wants a free standing location and a drive thru window.

Sigmund 5 years, 8 months ago

murphy59 (Anonymous) says… "Every Kwik Shop, Dillons, and Kroger store I've ever been in have been nice and clean…"

Try the Kwik Shop's at 6th /15th and Kasold, both are dingy and filthy and the help is rude. I won't even stop for gas anymore at either one.

Ignorant_Yokel 5 years, 8 months ago

Used-car lot or gun store

fingers crossed

clarkentsman 5 years, 8 months ago

6th & Kasold has been gutted and remodeled. It is much more appealing now but still has access issues.

Laura Wilson 5 years, 8 months ago

The last thing to go in that block, actually. Where the Subway is used to be a Putt Putt. I haven't been in that Kwik Shop in years but it used to be the only place to buy bread and milk on Thanksgiving and Christmas, back in the old days when everything shut down on holidays. When I was a kid we used to walk across Schwegler's playground and climb under a gap in the fence to spend our allowance on candy at that Kwik Shop.

kessman 5 years, 8 months ago

penguin 5 years, 8 months ago

I am not surprised that the businesses in that location are having issues. Have you ever tried to drive in their connected parking lots? It is what I imagine roads are like in Baghdad. Seriously, stopping for gas there should entitle one to a replacement of your car's shocks.

Also the store was kind dingy and looked like a good setting for a horror or zombie-type movie.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

Just a bad location to get into, that "road" between Yellow Sub and Kwik Shop is in bad shape, and it has to cost a bit to tear out the pumps.

Jake Esau 5 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dillons fuel center at the 23rd street Dillons now that this is closed.

eotw33 5 years, 8 months ago

murphy59 - that's because they keep the lights low enough you just can't see the dirt

LogicMan 5 years, 8 months ago

"is used to be a Putt Putt."

Someone bring back Putt Putt, somewhere. Please!

That Kwik Shop's building was in bad shape. It is unfortunate that they couldn't renovate or rebuild there.

kuhusker 5 years, 8 months ago

They just dumped the fixtures and shelving in the trash? Might be worth a bit of dumpster diving, sometimes those can be very rugged items, great for a basement or a garage.

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

The parking lot is probably in terrible shape because they knew they were leaving. Why spend the extra money for nothing?

introversion 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, and when I was a younger man, that was a really good way to get down that strip of 23rd without having to enter a roadway, supposing the driver of the vehicle you're in is less road-worthy than the vehicle itself.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe if they redo the parking lot for that place they could get more money for it. That place is a flippin mine field of pot holes...

Danimal 5 years, 8 months ago

That whole strip mall east of Hastings needs to be bulldozed so they can improve 23rd Street right through that little stretch.

JayhawkAlum03 5 years, 8 months ago

Am I the only one that remembers Putt-Putt as being at the southwest corner of 31st & Iowa (Douglas County Bank) or did I make that up altogether? I'm guessing maybe it moved from that 23rd street location to where I remember it?

lily 5 years, 8 months ago

I remember putt putt on that corner.
I agree with other posters that the store was gross. They've all tended to get that way. No one mops the floors and stuff seemed all packed in and cluttered. Granted customers could be a little neater but still.... Other convenience stores are more appealing so I've started going to them. Kwik shop used to be my stop of choice but not for several years now.

Clint Church 5 years, 8 months ago

Aw, Taco Grande. Now that was some good stuff. Especially the open faced tacos.

Fred Sherman 5 years, 8 months ago

wrong.putt putt was where yellow sub strip mall is.taco grande was where subway is.<<

Ahh, the 23rd Street business history game. This side of the 1700 Block of W. 23rd Street has had some interesting changes of businesses over time, but the physical make up of the block has remained about the same....

And on the east side of the Kwik Shop was _ (what) gas station, that was converted into a Texas Tom's restaurant. What year did it convert into a restaurant? Texas Tom’s soon failed, then this location was tuned into what restaurant(s)?

Name all of the restaurants/businesses that have been located in the building at 1720 W. 23rd Steet since Taco Grande but before Subway.

What doughnut shop was a staple of this block of 23rd Street, and for how many years?

True of False – Griff’s was located in the 1700 Block of W. 23rd Street.

Camron Flanders 5 years, 8 months ago

the donut shop was Carol Lee Donuts, was there for 26 years

Keith 5 years, 8 months ago

Isn't Carol Lee donuts now Yokohama sushi?

Christine Anderson 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, I've got a very funny memory connected with that store! On a Sunday night in '83, my then boyfriend and I stopped in for an Icee (sp?) We got a large of the cherry flavor. We were laughing and goofing around, and I pulled the Cola flavor handle. One large plop of brown, Cola flavor graced the cherry. We got outside and were laughing so hard we could hardly walk. Good times, good times. The drink is long gone; so is the boyfriend. Although I hear he now works border patrol in Az.

lawrencelifer 5 years, 8 months ago

Quint, I'm going to go with Fina as the gas station. There was also a gas station at 23rd and Naismith and I can't remember which one was Fina.

I will miss Kwik Shop on 23rd. Growing up in the neighborhood, that was the source of candy, Icees, pop, etc. for many years. Playing at the Schwegler playground, there was a nice hole that kids could slide under as a shortcut to Kwik Shop. And now, after all of the candy, Icees, and pop, I wouldn't be able to fit through the hole, even if it still existed. In high school, I won a 100 gallons of gas from that Kwik Shop. Back then, that much gas lasted me a longgggggg time. Memories . . .

Phase 5 years, 8 months ago

The Fina station was on the south side of 23rd. It was owned by Ken Page who was also a baseball coach. Fina was the home of "pink air".

gphawk89 5 years, 8 months ago

"Hey, I've got a very funny memory connected with that store!"

Me, too. Not quite so funny. I was there very late one night in maybe 1988, inside paying for something, when a quite-intoxicated individual came in wanting to buy beer. The cashier refused to sell to him and he got quite irate, yelled at both of us for a few minutes, and left. As the cashier was calling the police, the guy came back in with a gun, threatened to shoot the cashier, and then fortunately left again.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 8 months ago

Dear Jphawk89, dang, I'm glad the idiot didn't actually shoot that night!

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

I have found Kwik Shops to be overpriced, dirty, stocked with iffy items, and staffed by some of the rudest people who ever stood behind a register. The only time I'll do business with a Kwik Shop is if I'm in the middle of nowhere and there is absolutely nowhere else to get gas, and then I'll get just enough gas to get to somewhere else. (I think I've had to do that twice in 30 years.) If all the Kwik Shops disappeared, maybe they would be replaced by something decent. One can always hope.

NLowrider 5 years, 8 months ago

I will always remember the fight that broke out at that Kwik Shop while we were at recess at Schwegler. Started out as an argument between two guys and then a baseball bat was involved.

The teachers cut recess short after they realized why 100 kids were looking in the same direction.

lily 5 years, 8 months ago

I do believe the answer is true that Griffs was in that block. Those triangle buildings as I called them. Wow, Kenny Page. What a guy! That's a flashback.

Valkyrie 5 years, 8 months ago

Used to get coffee there until it got to the point that just about every time I would go in, the coffee pots were empty or the coffee was old. But the coffee card that would get you a free cup after six were punched out on it kept me going back. Now I just take my own coffee and save a $1.28 a cup :-)

John Spencer 5 years, 8 months ago

GP, I think I was the cashier, that happened to me twice there. I worked the midnight to 8am shift for a a year and a half.

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 8 months ago

I still don't understand why LJ-World can't use maps to pinpoint addresses mentioned in articles. Sure most people on here can figure out the general area in their head, but it's a matter of journalistic courtesy. It's EASY to do, just use Google Maps, it would take the writer 10 seconds to embed it at the bottom of the article. DO IT, every other paper does it!!!!

StirrrThePot 5 years, 8 months ago

The staff at the east 23rd Kwik Shop is very friendly and gives good service. I usually go to that store if I need gas or ice (it is close to home).

I'm sorry to see any business close its doors, but I am glad teh east 23rd Kwik Shop didn't close even though there seems to be a large concentration of gas stations that direction.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

i am having a hard time placing that kwik shop...is/was it wayyy out on 23rd? (not from lawrence just a frequent visitor&KU alum!)

Fred Sherman 5 years, 8 months ago

I believe that Griffs was in the next block - east of Ousdahl Road – like in the location of the BBQ restaurant at 1511 W. 23rd Street, or the next building to the east. Griffs, as I remember, was located east of Ousdahl, but west of the old Pizza Hut building on the north side of 23rd Street.

I have no clue as to what gas station was at the NWC of 23rd & Ousdahl just east of this Kwik Shop – but I do vividly remember when it was converted into a Texas Tom’s restaurant – so that may have been in 1974 or 1975 or so – give or take a year or two. It did not last long as a Texas Tom’s.

There are many other past businesses that I can fondly remember being on W. 23rd Street at some point in time. Many of these were local non-franchise businesses – like The Stinky Cheese Shopp, Green Pepper Pizza, the original Yellow Sub, George’s Hobby Shop, and even the Mad Greek restaurant all started out on W. 23rd Street.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 8 months ago

I seen them pull the old rusty fuel tanks out of the ground today, no wonder my truck runs like crap!

Camron Flanders 5 years, 8 months ago

thebcman: nope, he was not. a frequent customer though!