Archive for Monday, September 21, 2009

KU student reports being knocked unconscious and raped in her dorm room

A KU student said she was raped Sunday evening after being knocked unconscious in her dorm room. Police and students are taking action to prevent further incidents.

September 21, 2009, 1:27 p.m. Updated September 21, 2009, 3:52 p.m.

A Kansas University student reported she was knocked unconscious and raped by a man inside her dorm room Sunday night, campus police said.

The victim was grabbed and pushed against the wall when she entered her room at Oliver Hall, 1815 Naismith Drive, a statement from the KU Public Safety Office said. When she woke up 45 minutes later, the woman told officers she had been sexually assaulted.

Capt. Schuyler Bailey, KU police spokesman, said the victim left her room unlocked while she went to eat dinner with friends. She was attacked when she returned to her room around 6 p.m. Sunday.

“You have to lock your doors, whether you’re going across the hall, to the restroom, down to the dining facility, wherever,” Bailey said.

Officers are looking for the suspect, described as a white man with brown hair who stands 6 feet tall and weighs 170 pounds.

Anyone with information about the burglary and rape is asked to call the KU Public Safety Office at 864-5900 or KU Crimestoppers at 864-8888.

Campus police are urging students to call if they see someone who looks out of place at their residence hall or if they fall victim to a crime.

Bailey said the incident is not connected to a string of rapes in Lawrence and Manhattan over the last several years.

Comments

ralphralph 5 years, 2 months ago

This is awful. Are there any security cameras, or any staff in the lobby? Besides the obvious harm to the young lady involved, and the other residents, it would be an upsetting development to those considering sending their daughters to KU. Doesn't sound too safe, unless there is ALOT more to it.

redfred 5 years, 2 months ago

Never known anyne to be knocked out for that long. Not to say it couldn't happen but seems a litlle strange.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 2 months ago

6 p.m.? It's still daylight. Someone's got a pair.

And yeah, where the hell were the Oliver desk staff? There was no one else in the entire lobby to at least give this scum cause to think twice? Or to witness the assault?

This just seems weird. I'm not saying I doubt the woman's story. I'm just saying it doesn't feel right.

beawolf 5 years, 2 months ago

"it would be an upsetting development to those considering sending their daughters to KU."... You are right we should send our daughters to Yale instead. Or perhaps VT or NIU. Or Auburn or Mich. State. Whenever large populations congregate, there is violence. But there are ways to lessen the risk i.e. lock your door.

Matthew Goble 5 years, 2 months ago

LarryNative, let's keep the focus on the facts of the case as we know them. Underhanded jabs at the Greek system are lame. And unoriginal.

I hope that justice is served in this case. My thoughts are with the victim.

Danimal 5 years, 2 months ago

Oliver hasn't been restored yet so I doubt that there are many security cameras. Maybe we should start rigging KU dorms up like prison wards with cameras covering every hallway and public space from several different angles.

This reminds me of when I was a student caller at KUEA years ago and talked to the mother of a freshman who was so horrified that a similar incident happened (to someone she didn't know, in a dorm she didn't live in) that she was going to transfer at semester. It seems like these kind of rapes always happen in the first couple months of the fall semester. It's awful that things like this happen, but KU is one of the safer campuses in the nation. Surely more could be done to protect the good KU students from the few bad apples that come in with every class.

StirrrThePot 5 years, 2 months ago

I lived in Lewis when it was still women only--one of the best decisions I ever made. If I had to do it over again I would choose one of the women-only scholarship halls--I don't think they even have single gender dorms anymore (unless GSP/Corbin is still open and women-only). I'll admit it was boring up there at times but sometimes boring is good.

lily 5 years, 2 months ago

This is a sad reminder that you must lock your doors whenever you leave your room no matter for how long. Wonder if the poor girl fainted? They probably have cameras but hope he doesn't figure it out.
Too often students mistake their dorm room for their room at home. It's not the same.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

yea but here is the problem the guy that raped Her probably looks like a student him self. Which means he is not going to stand out and most people in the dorms go about their business not really observing who is coming and going. This is sad yes but who ever it was had to have known before hand that a girl lived in that room they also would have had to gain access to the building because it is locked from the main entrances and exits.

The Staff are not Security guards checking peoples rez-hall ID's If you look like a student no one will question you.

ku_tailg8 5 years, 2 months ago

What in the heck is wrong with people nowadays?

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

This is why coed dorms might not be such a good idea. The kids feel like they are at home and relax their security measures, but their fellow students aren't screened for mental stability, and just because you have known them for a couple of months, doesn't mean you really know them that well.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"Sarcasm."

The last refuge of those who've been caught having said something almost criminally stupid.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

tomatogrower

Coed-dorms are not a problem you are a moron if you think that, They are a good idea because there are other guys around to help protect these women, If you didnt notice she was knocked unconscious...... If another guy on her floor herd her scream he would have came to see what the problem was.

anyways what kind of kid feels at home enough to rape someone.

gsxr600 5 years, 2 months ago

I guess you all don't understand there is basically no security in the dorms, unless it's between 11pm and 7am when RAs patrol the halls. During the days the only supervision (RAs) are at class like the rest of the student body. There are no cameras that I know of (I lived in another hall a few years back). There is also the door scanner joke. You must swipe your KUID to get access into the building. The thing is, anyone can get in by just waiting a few seconds for someone else to swipe the scanner as they pass through. It's a very relaxed environment and no one is suspicious.

I think there's a lot more to this story and something seems a little sketchy to me.

Why on earth you would leave your door unlocked is beyond me. Not the most intelligent choice.

Kawatchi 5 years, 2 months ago

The suspect is probably trapped in the perpetually broken elevator.

davidsmom 5 years, 2 months ago

I lived in a co-ed dorm during the 1974-75 school year...girls and guys all on the same floor...girls in one wing and guys in the other. We had a central living room and the bathroom closest to my room was also the one closest to the living room, so both girls and guys used that bathroom. I remember having to make sure I had my robe securely fastened before exiting the shower because guys might be in that bathroom at the same time. The guys saw us with mud on our faces and hair in curlers, so eventually it felt like they were just brothers. If rapes were a problem, and I'm sure they must have occurred, I just never heard about it.

R0ckChalk13 5 years, 2 months ago

To everyone saying that co-ed dorms are a bad idea, The problem is the neglect to lock one's dorm room. Assault could take place anywhere, especially when safety is neglected. Life is co-ed, that's a problem you can't run away from.

maxcrabb 5 years, 2 months ago

I lock my door whenever i leave my apartment. Even to take out the trash, or change out the laundry. Especially if my girlfriends home.

I was reassured of my practice just the other day when a very insistent "salesman" came by, trying to "earn points to go to" whatever MTV Spring break destination is big these days. He kept trying to look inside my door while spewing out a sales pitch that had no point, and didn't even mention what his product was. I said no thank you, and told myself I'm not even opening the door anymore, I'm just going to look through the peep hole, and if I don't know you, we're talking through the door.

jadore_liszt 5 years, 2 months ago

That's soo scary! But seriously why didn't she lock the door? Poor girl :(

kmcd028 5 years, 2 months ago

I lived at Oliver in 1995-1996 and we too had a similar experience that could have ended just as bad. How it could have been prevented...locking our door! In the middle of the night a guy who lived in the Oliver stumbled into our room and started to undo his pants. We started yelling at him and he left...we locked our door all of the time from that point on. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in and no one thinks it will happen until it does. My heart goes out to this girl!

lily 5 years, 2 months ago

The more I hear about it the more skeptical I am.
Still the important message out there is lock your doors.

flicker 5 years, 2 months ago

The fact there are no security camera's on each floor is unacceptable

ClaroAtaxia 5 years, 2 months ago

Donnuts,

What are you talking about? An 'organization'?

Framing could occur from mis-dealings in the black market, but it seems more like a case to case type of thing, no need for an organization to deal with drug dealings gone awry.

1029 5 years, 2 months ago

Every single student should be issued a handgun when they check into the dorms. Ain't nobody gonna go around raping nobody else if everybody is armed and ready to defend themselves. Unbelievable KU tells them kids they ain't got no right to carry and defend there person and property.

salad 5 years, 2 months ago

Sounds like the rapist used cholorform or ether, since 45 min is way too long a time to be unconcious from being choked-out or hit, and too short a time for stronger drugs. If the bad guy didn't use any chemicals, then she's really really really lucky to be alive, that or somethings not quite right with her story.

1029 comes up with the least effective, impractical, and most loony idea of the day. Packin' heat certainly wouldn't have helped this girl.

amark12 5 years, 2 months ago

I actually live in Oliver this year. Being a female with a past of sexual abuse, it's alarming. But at the same time, I run a movement for victims of sexual abuse and rape and understand the safety one must take. But, as we've spoken about before (as students of Oliver), why must we use a card to access the building - Like others have said, a card that can simply be null & void ; someone can wait to access the building. But it seems as though no matter what you do, you're stripping the independent lifestyle from the students by treating the halls like a prison or you risk the events of the real world.

And whomever made the comment about co-ed halls being the best decision... two points, if a male really wanted to get in the building, I'm sure it could happen. In addition, males are not the only rapists. 10% of victims are males... so there's no sense in saying that KU and other universities should ONLY have female dorms because harm can happen anywhere. (This also executes further issues.)

I can only hope that the girl who was attacked can find peace.

monkeywrench1969 5 years, 2 months ago

Donuts

You sound like a Paranoid Schizophrenic. Whats with the crazy lists. Make a point instead of rambling and focus on an idea.

hawktownballin 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe more housing places on campus should consider hiring security instead of just having KU pd who doesn't seem to accomplish much besides drive around and be in the wrong spot at the right time..

monkeywrench1969 5 years, 2 months ago

Donuts...take your meds. I am more concerned with you being on the streets of lawrence than the guy that is the subject of this story. Is your list of girls your stalking victims or something.

monkeywrench1969 5 years, 2 months ago

I am waiting for the Austin Powers/Dr Evil MMUUUUHHAAAAHHHAAAHAAA...Pinkie's up anyone?