Archive for Monday, September 21, 2009

KU student reports being knocked unconscious and raped in her dorm room

A KU student said she was raped Sunday evening after being knocked unconscious in her dorm room. Police and students are taking action to prevent further incidents.

September 21, 2009, 1:27 p.m. Updated September 21, 2009, 3:52 p.m.

A Kansas University student reported she was knocked unconscious and raped by a man inside her dorm room Sunday night, campus police said.

The victim was grabbed and pushed against the wall when she entered her room at Oliver Hall, 1815 Naismith Drive, a statement from the KU Public Safety Office said. When she woke up 45 minutes later, the woman told officers she had been sexually assaulted.

Capt. Schuyler Bailey, KU police spokesman, said the victim left her room unlocked while she went to eat dinner with friends. She was attacked when she returned to her room around 6 p.m. Sunday.

“You have to lock your doors, whether you’re going across the hall, to the restroom, down to the dining facility, wherever,” Bailey said.

Officers are looking for the suspect, described as a white man with brown hair who stands 6 feet tall and weighs 170 pounds.

Anyone with information about the burglary and rape is asked to call the KU Public Safety Office at 864-5900 or KU Crimestoppers at 864-8888.

Campus police are urging students to call if they see someone who looks out of place at their residence hall or if they fall victim to a crime.

Bailey said the incident is not connected to a string of rapes in Lawrence and Manhattan over the last several years.

Comments

monkeywrench1969 4 years, 7 months ago

I am waiting for the Austin Powers/Dr Evil MMUUUUHHAAAAHHHAAAHAAA...Pinkie's up anyone?

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Well just understand that some of our experiences do not lay within the realm of what others consider normalcy. When you come to realize that the human experience is very differing and not by the bounds of conventionally described methods then you begin to realize that we all experience things that others don't. When working in the office you realize that most those relationships you have there end there and that person has a life besides the one you see them in the office being.

I have just been an outsider and have observances that most people don't being left to my own devices I prefer to be left to my own observances as well.

I am not defending the person. I am merely pointing out something that I indeed don't think most people stop to think about in a way that could be easily understood by people I don't regularly converse with or know in real life.

See ya next time around.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

something I said must have hit home with Monkeywrench69; I suppose when I see some crazy while I am walking to the store I kind of just keep on my way but the real threat is somebody that has the ability to make sense and expose truths in a way that upsets people because there is a ring of truth to the matter where as someone chasing butterflies or picking dandelions bears no impact whether they are lopping off the heads of dandelions after they went gray and to seed or whether they are making daisy chains. They don't bear an impact on others lives they are just 'crazy' and need meds.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, it is my hit list and I live at 911 Ohio if you want to come see me.

monkeywrench1969 4 years, 7 months ago

Donuts...take your meds. I am more concerned with you being on the streets of lawrence than the guy that is the subject of this story. Is your list of girls your stalking victims or something.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Here Here.....

and don't mind me while I mock your horrible situation with self righteous gratitude for having chose an absolute pig. I bought a pair of shoes today. I could have always admitted it but I had a monkey on my back and no reason to admit what someone else did.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Claro Ataxia-----

there is no doubt that subjection to organized crime is a case to case scenario. Don't let us pretend that there is not skin trade and corruption among who gets degrees and power plays in campus and in city politics. Panhellenic organizations are absolutely into arranging things for their constituents and the rest of campus and hold a big part of the way campus activities play out. Pledges are expected to do rigorous group activities and spend almost all their time with other groups of people to get their degrees. Some of which include hazing events that are undisclosed. It is a hierarchy and there is a pecking order or food chain to the way people are swallowed up in the organization.

It is not to say that there are "black market" drugs running through the veins of Lawrence politics but it is more likely that the booze trade in Lawrence is effected indirectly by and more mainstream flow of coed activities including staged events and goaded fights.

Organized crime and people laying false testimony to eyewitness accounts are just as bad a crime as any; especially if police and relatives of police officers are involved. Don't let us pretend that lawyers, D.A.'s and judges don't look the other way.

So it's dinner time and I have more to ramblings to produce elsewhere far from all of you; maybe even eat some leftover salmon......

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

did he use a rubber? that would have been acute !

demonfury 4 years, 7 months ago

amark12 - Would you rather carry a card while in school that offers some security, or carry fear from a rapist for life? Typical liberal idiot, don't take my liberties, or my rights, or my comforts, or my independent lifestyle, or my desire to do things my way, or my... blah blah blah. Stop being your mom and get a real clue girlie. This is probably why you've been a victim all of your life. If you're a victim of past sexual abuse, you probably carry peper spray, or a whistle, or some form of security, but God have Mercy, don't make me use a security card to protect my building. Dumba$$........

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

... and let us not forget Mindy the blind girl who claimed something about acute angled boomerangs and told the tigers that rode on the bus as well.... as for my ramblings... oh well. We have a corrupt police department that would rather set someone up for being a rapist than put someone behind bars that assaults males. Thanks again Warren.

hawktownballin 4 years, 7 months ago

Maybe more housing places on campus should consider hiring security instead of just having KU pd who doesn't seem to accomplish much besides drive around and be in the wrong spot at the right time..

monkeywrench1969 4 years, 7 months ago

Donuts

You sound like a Paranoid Schizophrenic. Whats with the crazy lists. Make a point instead of rambling and focus on an idea.

amark12 4 years, 7 months ago

I actually live in Oliver this year. Being a female with a past of sexual abuse, it's alarming. But at the same time, I run a movement for victims of sexual abuse and rape and understand the safety one must take. But, as we've spoken about before (as students of Oliver), why must we use a card to access the building - Like others have said, a card that can simply be null & void ; someone can wait to access the building. But it seems as though no matter what you do, you're stripping the independent lifestyle from the students by treating the halls like a prison or you risk the events of the real world.

And whomever made the comment about co-ed halls being the best decision... two points, if a male really wanted to get in the building, I'm sure it could happen. In addition, males are not the only rapists. 10% of victims are males... so there's no sense in saying that KU and other universities should ONLY have female dorms because harm can happen anywhere. (This also executes further issues.)

I can only hope that the girl who was attacked can find peace.

BABBOY 4 years, 7 months ago

1029 your perspectives are out of whack.

Are you actually taking advantage of this situation to promote your opinion on concealed weapons? You should be punched in the face.

Disagree with anyone saying she should have locked the door and the school is already protecting their liability by making sure the unlocked door gets in the news story. I agree it would be better if the door was locked but she DID NOTHING wrong. The rapist is the one who is the evil wrong doer. Anyone blaming the girl should be punched in the face immediately after 1029 gets his poke in the eye.

Phogfan86: no situation with rape sounds rights. The physical evidence such as the traumas to her body would answer your concerns one way or the other. I am taking her at her word otherwise.

I agree with everyone who noted how terrible this situation is.

salad 4 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like the rapist used cholorform or ether, since 45 min is way too long a time to be unconcious from being choked-out or hit, and too short a time for stronger drugs. If the bad guy didn't use any chemicals, then she's really really really lucky to be alive, that or somethings not quite right with her story.

1029 comes up with the least effective, impractical, and most loony idea of the day. Packin' heat certainly wouldn't have helped this girl.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

Every single student should be issued a handgun when they check into the dorms. Ain't nobody gonna go around raping nobody else if everybody is armed and ready to defend themselves. Unbelievable KU tells them kids they ain't got no right to carry and defend there person and property.

ClaroAtaxia 4 years, 7 months ago

Donnuts,

What are you talking about? An 'organization'?

Framing could occur from mis-dealings in the black market, but it seems more like a case to case type of thing, no need for an organization to deal with drug dealings gone awry.

flicker 4 years, 7 months ago

The fact there are no security camera's on each floor is unacceptable

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

I hear there is an organization that is in Lawrence that can arrange for people to live with thieves that try to rip people off and frame them for things like rape. Is this not true?

Oh they mentioned I forgot to include Tonya on the list and probably about 10 others they arrange to do what they do.

lily 4 years, 7 months ago

The more I hear about it the more skeptical I am.
Still the important message out there is lock your doors.

kmcd028 4 years, 7 months ago

I lived at Oliver in 1995-1996 and we too had a similar experience that could have ended just as bad. How it could have been prevented...locking our door! In the middle of the night a guy who lived in the Oliver stumbled into our room and started to undo his pants. We started yelling at him and he left...we locked our door all of the time from that point on. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in and no one thinks it will happen until it does. My heart goes out to this girl!

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh and of course congratulations to Lawrence Police Officer Warren Burchett for reporting crimes properly at 818 Ohio and his comrades who felt so obligated to do likewise especially two female officers on bike.

Huck petewey !!!!!!

jadore_liszt 4 years, 7 months ago

That's soo scary! But seriously why didn't she lock the door? Poor girl :(

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Hero/Victims

Jenny Chris Dawn Deanna Some girl whose kids fell out of a Dodge Dart at Hillcrest Rebecca Gena Zoe Some girl that works at Wendy's Mickey's Girlfriend Bethany April Mrs. Sisson The red haired woman Amy Terry Gina Sandy Melissa Vicki Mrs. Cook 819 Louisiana Sandy Ms. Funk Kathy LeeAnn Debbie Some girl that works at LMH cafeteria Shannon hmmm.... I suppose that is about it.

Here let there be a moment of silence for those that have fallen to bring us here to this moment.

Huck petewey!!!!!

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Does the yellow bug have anything to do with it? Hey, that is great. Here let me think.... I think I will go eat some biscuits. Then let me see if Marvin was there..... okay so did the perp have a high school counselor?

Okay so seriously..... Well, you see that is just it. I am not sure how seriously I can take you anymore. You just lost all your credibility with me crying wolf and lying to get what you want done. I just can't take a liar seriously. Did you know the Bender's Brothers were in the Klu Klux Klan as well? Yeah, it was real popular to join in the 80's and Daphne G. had sex with the football star whose name was Ron and he was in a horrible position being threatened and all by the horrible nemesis of the Klu Klux Klan.

So with that and Chris LeRon and Gabino and Dawn and the bed in the window stunt.... I am just going to have to not take you seriously at all. Sorry, daddy may have taught you you could get away with things by lying but this person is smarter than that....

Oh yeah, sexual assault. I just can't take the claims seriously anymore. I am sure the predator would have had to have stalked his prey first which I am not sure if I would believe either.

maxcrabb 4 years, 7 months ago

I lock my door whenever i leave my apartment. Even to take out the trash, or change out the laundry. Especially if my girlfriends home.

I was reassured of my practice just the other day when a very insistent "salesman" came by, trying to "earn points to go to" whatever MTV Spring break destination is big these days. He kept trying to look inside my door while spewing out a sales pitch that had no point, and didn't even mention what his product was. I said no thank you, and told myself I'm not even opening the door anymore, I'm just going to look through the peep hole, and if I don't know you, we're talking through the door.

R0ckChalk13 4 years, 7 months ago

To everyone saying that co-ed dorms are a bad idea, The problem is the neglect to lock one's dorm room. Assault could take place anywhere, especially when safety is neglected. Life is co-ed, that's a problem you can't run away from.

davidsmom 4 years, 7 months ago

I lived in a co-ed dorm during the 1974-75 school year...girls and guys all on the same floor...girls in one wing and guys in the other. We had a central living room and the bathroom closest to my room was also the one closest to the living room, so both girls and guys used that bathroom. I remember having to make sure I had my robe securely fastened before exiting the shower because guys might be in that bathroom at the same time. The guys saw us with mud on our faces and hair in curlers, so eventually it felt like they were just brothers. If rapes were a problem, and I'm sure they must have occurred, I just never heard about it.

Kawatchi 4 years, 7 months ago

The suspect is probably trapped in the perpetually broken elevator.

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

I guess you all don't understand there is basically no security in the dorms, unless it's between 11pm and 7am when RAs patrol the halls. During the days the only supervision (RAs) are at class like the rest of the student body. There are no cameras that I know of (I lived in another hall a few years back). There is also the door scanner joke. You must swipe your KUID to get access into the building. The thing is, anyone can get in by just waiting a few seconds for someone else to swipe the scanner as they pass through. It's a very relaxed environment and no one is suspicious.

I think there's a lot more to this story and something seems a little sketchy to me.

Why on earth you would leave your door unlocked is beyond me. Not the most intelligent choice.

Bill Thompson 4 years, 7 months ago

It could be the rapist looked like a student because he is a student AND lives in Oliver. A student could go almost anywhere in Oliver unquestioned.

Pywacket 4 years, 7 months ago

ku_tailg8~ "What in the heck is wrong with people nowadays?"

Nowadays? You say that as if rape were a brand new idea. Actually, these days, victims are much more likely to receive justice than at any time in the past. In many societies, at many times in history, rape was not prosecuted at all and was hardly considered a crime. Even now, in some societies, the victim can be stoned to death for "disgracing her family," or shunned and stigmatized, while the aggressor goes free.

Looking only at the US, in the past, rape was seen as a dirty little secret--of the victim's!!! Many women then, and even now, never report(ed) it because of the stigma and the prevailing view that she must've somehow been "asking for it."

If she did report it, trials were another hurdle, as the rapist's attorney would treat the victim as if SHE were the one on trial, questioning her morals and her character so brutally, that many women had the charges dropped so that they didn't have to go through that ordeal.

Additionally, it was typically a "he said, she said" situation, whereas now it is often possible to use forensic evidence (semen, defensive injuries, etc) to show that (a) they have the right suspect and (b) it was forcible, not consensual.

I could go on, but you get the drift. Rape has always been a common and heinous crime but, if anything, it is LESS prevalent now (in the US) than in the past and, when it does happen, the victim has more hope of her attacker getting convicted than at any time before.

I would totally agree with your comment if you just leave off the word, "nowadays."

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 7 months ago

tomatogrower

Coed-dorms are not a problem you are a moron if you think that, They are a good idea because there are other guys around to help protect these women, If you didnt notice she was knocked unconscious...... If another guy on her floor herd her scream he would have came to see what the problem was.

anyways what kind of kid feels at home enough to rape someone.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

"Sarcasm."

The last refuge of those who've been caught having said something almost criminally stupid.

tomatogrower 4 years, 7 months ago

This is why coed dorms might not be such a good idea. The kids feel like they are at home and relax their security measures, but their fellow students aren't screened for mental stability, and just because you have known them for a couple of months, doesn't mean you really know them that well.

ku_tailg8 4 years, 7 months ago

What in the heck is wrong with people nowadays?

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 7 months ago

yea but here is the problem the guy that raped Her probably looks like a student him self. Which means he is not going to stand out and most people in the dorms go about their business not really observing who is coming and going. This is sad yes but who ever it was had to have known before hand that a girl lived in that room they also would have had to gain access to the building because it is locked from the main entrances and exits.

The Staff are not Security guards checking peoples rez-hall ID's If you look like a student no one will question you.

lily 4 years, 7 months ago

This is a sad reminder that you must lock your doors whenever you leave your room no matter for how long. Wonder if the poor girl fainted? They probably have cameras but hope he doesn't figure it out.
Too often students mistake their dorm room for their room at home. It's not the same.

StirrrThePot 4 years, 7 months ago

I lived in Lewis when it was still women only--one of the best decisions I ever made. If I had to do it over again I would choose one of the women-only scholarship halls--I don't think they even have single gender dorms anymore (unless GSP/Corbin is still open and women-only). I'll admit it was boring up there at times but sometimes boring is good.

Danimal 4 years, 7 months ago

Oliver hasn't been restored yet so I doubt that there are many security cameras. Maybe we should start rigging KU dorms up like prison wards with cameras covering every hallway and public space from several different angles.

This reminds me of when I was a student caller at KUEA years ago and talked to the mother of a freshman who was so horrified that a similar incident happened (to someone she didn't know, in a dorm she didn't live in) that she was going to transfer at semester. It seems like these kind of rapes always happen in the first couple months of the fall semester. It's awful that things like this happen, but KU is one of the safer campuses in the nation. Surely more could be done to protect the good KU students from the few bad apples that come in with every class.

Matthew Goble 4 years, 7 months ago

LarryNative, let's keep the focus on the facts of the case as we know them. Underhanded jabs at the Greek system are lame. And unoriginal.

I hope that justice is served in this case. My thoughts are with the victim.

beawolf 4 years, 7 months ago

"it would be an upsetting development to those considering sending their daughters to KU."... You are right we should send our daughters to Yale instead. Or perhaps VT or NIU. Or Auburn or Mich. State. Whenever large populations congregate, there is violence. But there are ways to lessen the risk i.e. lock your door.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 7 months ago

6 p.m.? It's still daylight. Someone's got a pair.

And yeah, where the hell were the Oliver desk staff? There was no one else in the entire lobby to at least give this scum cause to think twice? Or to witness the assault?

This just seems weird. I'm not saying I doubt the woman's story. I'm just saying it doesn't feel right.

Steven Gaudreau 4 years, 7 months ago

redfred 4 years, 7 months ago

Never known anyne to be knocked out for that long. Not to say it couldn't happen but seems a litlle strange.

Ray Parker 4 years, 7 months ago

Bound to happen in a county where soft-on-predator judges are allowed to stay on the bench.

couranna1 4 years, 7 months ago

very sad hope the girl is okay

ralphralph 4 years, 7 months ago

This is awful. Are there any security cameras, or any staff in the lobby? Besides the obvious harm to the young lady involved, and the other residents, it would be an upsetting development to those considering sending their daughters to KU. Doesn't sound too safe, unless there is ALOT more to it.