Archive for Friday, September 18, 2009

WWII cannon tested, ready for Saturday’s KU game

Officials from KU Army ROTC, KU Public Safety Office and the KU Athletics Department got together Friday to test a cannon that will be used to celebrate touchdowns and field goals during Saturday's game against Duke.

September 18, 2009

The cannon is ready, now it's up to the Jayhawks to score in Saturday's game against Duke.

Members of Kansas University's Army ROTC and the Public Safety Office and the Athletics Department were on hand Friday afternoon for the firing of a blank test shot near the football practice fields.

Army Capt. Will Chuber said KU Athletics had approached the Army ROTC program for ways to make this football season special and exciting for fans. After coming up with the idea of firing a cannon after touchdowns and field goals, Chuber who is also a battery commander in the Kansas National Guard, worked with the guard to bring the cannon to KU.

The 75mm howitzer saw action in World War II, but has been out of commission and only used for ceremonial purposes in recent years.

Comments

Shane Garrett 5 years, 5 months ago

Everybodys car alarm will go off at the game. Again Woo-Hoo!

RogueThrill 5 years, 5 months ago

When you said cannon I thought it was going to be some awesome, anachronistic black powder job. This is disappointing.

1029 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow, this is sooo exciting. My tiny little brain gets really excited about loud noises! Hehehehe...I'm getting all giddy just thinking about the boom!

I bet that thing could really tear up some humans. That would be really awesome to actually watch a person get blown to pieces. Bits of skin and limbs would fly everywhere. Canons are sooo cool.

It's about time KU jumped on the cannon bandwagon. I never understood why KU would want to be unique with their traditions. Good to see them finally hop aboard the bandwagon of un-orginality and tired gimmicks.

persevering_gal 5 years, 5 months ago

Wait a minute...won't this cause a LOUD noise? As I recall, the Civil War reenactment was canceled, because the actors couldn't shoot off blanks that would produce a LOUD sound. Ahh, there's no place like the city of Lawrence.

Practicality 5 years, 5 months ago

1029,

I agree with biggunz, you are an idiot!

NotASquishHead 5 years, 5 months ago

Smitty, do you ever have anything positive to say? Everything you say seems to have a negative undertone to it.

Hope you enjoy your misrable life, while the rest of us are enjoying friends, family, and KU football!

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 5 months ago

red_devil,

Do you think that people are wrong to care so much about their pets and kids?

BlackVelvet 5 years, 5 months ago

"Is this cannon to replace the chant “Rip his f#$%&*@g head off” or to compliment it? KU actually thinks this is a move in the right direction? "

Smitty, I didn't see Ted Bordman, Ron Olin or the Lawrence Police Department mentioned in the article. Go back to sleep. It'll be okay.

whynaut 5 years, 5 months ago

I've went to a lot of K-State games around the turn of the century. I will always remember with fondness the way the overweight bellies of blue collar fans, filled to the brim with Natural Light and bulging out from under faded 1997 Fiesta Bowl Championship t-shirts, would bounce up and down jollily as the chortled their amusement at the 'Cat Cannon' which used vintage 2001 Cotton Bowl Campionship t-shirts as projectiles.

I only hope this cannon will unite us as fans in the same way. If the KU fan base showed a fraction of the enthusiasm and camaraderie as that of K-State, we could quite conceivably make it the Cotton bowl every year.

Furthermore, me like boom.

tlwtaratart 5 years, 5 months ago

Anyone who complains about this has a stick up their butt and needs to promptly remove it.

I like whynaut's take on this whole thing. And me like boom too.

westlaw 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't see any of the big Ten, ACC, SEC, PAC 10 teams needing a cannon to tell everyone they just scored a touchdown. So hillbilly, just like Mizzou

Chris Phillips 5 years, 5 months ago

I remember going to Fort Hays State games as a kid. They had an old water heater done up to look like a canon. Filled it with ballons full of gas from a cutting torch. For each touchdown, they'd set it off...it's a wonder they didn't blow their fool heads off. Glad they have pros working on the one here at KU.