Archive for Friday, September 18, 2009

Lawrence man accused, with son, of trying to kill ex-wife pleads not guilty

A Lawrence man accused of kidnapping and trying to kill his ex-wife plead not guilty Friday.

September 18, 2009

A Lawrence man accused of kidnapping and trying to kill his ex-wife in June pleaded not guilty to the crimes Friday, and a judge scheduled the case for a Nov. 30 jury trial, Douglas County Court records said.

Arthur Davis III, 61, faces charges of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping and contributing to a child’s misconduct in the case.

Davis and his 15-year-old son are accused of breaking into the victim’s Lawrence house early June 16 and trying to kill her by striking her repeatedly with a baseball bat.

In a previous hearing, the victim testified that she and Davis were involved in a heated child custody dispute, stemming from their 1999 divorce.

The couple’s son is also charged with attempted first-degree murder and their 12-year-old daughter faces conspiracy charges for her alleged role in the attack.

The woman was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for multiple cuts to her head, including a 3-to-4-inch laceration to her scalp that had to be stapled shut.

A defense attorney has said the case had nothing to do with Davis, who was in court Friday morning for his arraignment hearing.

Comments

50YearResident 5 years, 4 months ago

Of course, he is going to plead not guilty. There is a fifty percent chance he will be found not guilty even when he is guilty. The jails are filled with not guilty people. Our court system favors criminals that plead not guilty. The only people that plede guilty are ones that get a plea deal that greatly reduces or eliminates jail time and they were caught red-handed and it is predetermined that they are guilty.

Shockem211 5 years, 4 months ago

Doesn't surprise me. He would probably be better off claiming his mental insanity to lessen the charges. This guy belongs in a looney bin, but since that isn't an option, jail sounds good. I am sure he will get what's coming to him.

SpunKey 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad it sounds like the defense lawyer is worthless: "..defense attorney has said the case had nothing to do with Davis..." !

Does this quote mean he is trying to blame it all on his kids?! How can anyone believe they drove the car (gee, did they kidnap him, lol?) and broke down the door? It won't take long to convince a jury that he was the only one capable of doing these things!

Seems to me his silly defense may actually help the kids, because anyone this physically strong and delusional can surely leverage his own kids into making poor decisions!

Sulla 5 years, 4 months ago

Go figure that the accussed is a self-proclaimed "ex-CIA agent". LOL. If true, our hallowed Nat'l Security is in big trouble;methinks a CIA agent would had found a better way to try to whack his ex old lady.LOL(again).

sinverguenza 5 years, 4 months ago

15 year old charged with attempted murder? 12 year old with conspiracy? Say whaaaa?

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 4 months ago

If they divorced in 1999 these poor kids have been in this physical and emotional tug of war for 10 years. My heart just wants to break thinking about this. I might be projecting my own personal experiences on this but my guess is that the dad is one of those overly controlling, self centered, narcissistic men who in ten years never forgave his ex for having the guts and chutzpah for leaving him. Such men also have no ability to see their children as people but see them as personal property that the ex is trying to "steal". This whole custody battle has nothing to do with the kids themselves but were multiple attempts to recover his "stolen property". He's used the kids all these years as weapons (objects) to try and wound her over and over again both for "stealing his kids" and for giving him the ultimate insult of leaving him. These kids have been deeply wounded themselves, manipulated and used as objects. I'm not surprised at all they're this deeply involved in the attack.

WhiteDog 5 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't there an earlier article which stated that he could be heard on the 911 recording yelling things like, "hit her again harder" to the son or did I just imagine that?

Steve Jacob 5 years, 4 months ago

"attempted first-degree murder, aggravated kidnapping" might be hard to prove in this case. I am sure there is a long back story that we don't know, but still who was doing the harm.

igby 5 years, 4 months ago

This one does trump the Jeager case!

Where's all the lynch mob now?

Oh, this guys not from Chicago, rich or has a hot girl friend.

Must be that it just too dam unbelievable to even think about.

Reminds me of the Texas Chain Saw movie!

somebodynew 5 years, 4 months ago

igby- count me in as part of the lynch mob that is here for this case. I just havn't been very vocal lately about anything.Trust me, this man deserves more than what he will get in the Douglas County "justice" system. Oh, and the kids don't get any sympathy from me either.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 4 months ago

somebodynew these kids are 12 and 15 years old! They've lived in a state of constant warfare for TEN YEARS from the time they were 2 and 5 years old! Now you tell me how the hell they can be responsible for any of this when the adults in this case (the dad for darn sure and I'm including the courts in this) have clearly vacated their responsibility to these kids as children. They have obviously undergone mental, emotional and most probably physical abuse. You live in that kind of pressure cooker for 10 years and tell me you wouldn't grow up pretty solidly warped.