Archive for Friday, September 18, 2009

GOP leaders, Parkinson at odds over letter on behalf of union

September 18, 2009

— House Republican leaders Friday called on Gov. Mark Parkinson to stop a request made on behalf of a union for information from health care providers doing business with the state.

“We call on this administration to intervene and terminate this inappropriate action,” House Speaker Mike O’Neal, R-Hutchinson, said.

But Parkinson, a Democrat, refused. His office issued a statement saying, “The governor supports the effort to get union information to these workers.”

The dispute is over approximately 1,000 letters sent out by the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services and Kansas Department of Aging.

The letters went to payroll agents of in-home health care workers and sought the employees’ names, addresses and telephone numbers.

The state agencies said they sent the letters to comply with an open records request made by the Services Employees International Union. SEIU, which has helped many Democratic Party candidates, said it needed the contact information to provide information to the workers.

But O’Neal and House Majority Leader Ray Merrick, R-Stilwell, wasn’t buying the state’s explanation.

“Collecting and distributing information for this purpose falls so far outside the scope of responsible government that these agencies should immediately cease the data collection and refuse to disseminate anything they have already received,” Merrick said.

Few of the providers have complied with the letters requesting information, and state officials have said they don’t intend to take any action against those that didn’t.

House leaders said they have asked Attorney General Steve Six, a Democrat, for an opinion on whether the state has to turn over this information.

Comments

ksgaia 5 years, 7 months ago

was that the whole statement from the gov, or was there more?

63BC 5 years, 7 months ago

SEIU is one of the top donors to the Kansas Democratic Party and Sebelius' PAC---the Bluestem Fund.

KS 5 years, 7 months ago

Are these people state employees or just paid with State and Federal money? Is the State responsible for the workers compensation insurance? Does the State match the FICA requirments or does someone else do that? Does the State pay for the UI insurance? If the answer is "none of the above" on behalf of the State then they are NOT state employees and therefore the State should NOT be involved. It's pretty simple.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

SEIU = ACORN in case you live in a cave and are not aware of that.

texburgh 5 years, 7 months ago

So where was the outrage from Republicans and O'Neal and Merrick in particular when it was revealed that their buddy Phill Kline simply used every email sent to the AG's office to send political fundraisers? Oh, that's right! They were okay with that. It was a Republican and we all know that the rules do not apply to them. O'Neal is a hypocrite of the first degree.

mother49 5 years, 7 months ago

All the stuff folks are saying is important. But I am a personal care attendant under the HCBS program. I have only a cell phone. They call and use up my minutes. who pays me back? They decide that my line of workers is going union. (dues for my sister are 750.00/year in california) I would like to thank the governor for wanting me to have information, but get it to me via internet, get it to me via newspaper. I am on the "No call" list and the very folks that are supposed to be protecting me from unwanted calls are handing out information. I saw the letter. SRS - Don Jordon promised that there would be no marketing involved. SEIU logo is marketing. You took away my right to privacy and my right to choice without my consent. I am not a state employee. I am a pca. I get hired and fired by the individual I take care of.

biasedmedia 5 years, 7 months ago

Here's the real, complete story not subject to the Democrat's spin: http://www.kansasliberty.com/liberty-update-archive/2009/21sep/house-republican-leaders-request-state-agencies-cease-in-their-union-helping-actions/

The LJW refused to actually report, you know, like call people and ask what is going on. That statement from the Gov was reported last week or so. Apparently now the Agencies are backing off.

KS 5 years, 7 months ago

mother49 - They are NOT going to pay for your minutes. They just want your $750 per year or whatever magic number they think Kansas is worth and line their pockets. They won't be able to give you a raise because the reimbursement rates are controlled by the State.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

SEIU should not be given this info. They will misuse it. Mother49 is right. Haven't we seen enough out of ACORN and SEIU. Parkinson better move fast, he will be gone at the next election even if he was running. He is a carpet-bagger of the worst sort.

Godot 5 years, 7 months ago

Wow! Thanks to biasedmedia for the link! This is outrageous behavior on the part of Parkinson, and the agencies involved. How dare the Governor use his power to coerce non-governmental agencies dependent upon government contracts to divulge private, privileged information about its employees to the SEIU!!

It is amazing that the SEIU was able to convince Parkinson (must have cost SEIU a bundle) to use FOIA as an excuse to extract'/extort this information.

If I were an employee of, say, VNA, Brandon Woods, Cottonwood, LMH, Bert Nash, or any doctor's office that is reimbursed by Medicaid, I would be "community organizing" and seeking out an attorney for help filing a class action suit against Parkinson and SEIU and my employer if it complied with the request,for violation of employer-employee privacy.

If there is not already, there should be created a committee to impeach Parkinson for corruption and conspiracy. RICO seems to apply here. ' If Six does not step up to the plate to announce an investigation into this affair within the next 48 hours, the legislature needs to commission an independent investigator.