Archive for Thursday, September 17, 2009

Regents approve freeze of university leader salaries

The Kansas Board of Regents approved a salary freeze for several state university leaders. The freeze will go into effect next year and Regents hope it will help ease the budget situation.

September 17, 2009

— The Kansas Board of Regents approved freezing the salaries of the presidents of Emporia State, Fort Hays State, and Wichita State universities, and the regents president.

Board members said the decision was made because of the tight fiscal situation.

The salaries of the Kansas University chancellor, Kansas State president and Pittsburg State president were already set when those chief executives were hired this year.

Here are the public portion salary levels with the compensation cap in parentheses, which includes private dollars used to supplement the public portion up to that amount:

• KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little: $267,177 ($425,000)

• Kansas State President Kirk Schulz: $255,298 ($350,000)

• Wichita State President Don Beggs: $255,298 ($277,160)

• Emporia State President Michael Lane: $202,540 ($213,200)

• Fort Hays State University Ed Hammond: $202,593 ($223,860)

• Pittsburg State University Steve Scott: $202,593 ($213,200)

• Board of Regents President Reginald Robinson: $181,000 ($193,000)

Comments

Kim Murphree 4 years, 11 months ago

Since we are talking KU money...let me run this by you...I think the regents need to ROLL BACK tuition costs at KU. As long as the school is publicly funded, kids from this state should be able to attend--at least those who graduate high school. Lately, it seems as though the focus is totally on the institution as an entity--how it stands in national rankings---all for the purpose of gaining more funding for research---this ranking and money game has certainly taken the focus OFF of the original purpose of this publicly funded university---the children who are students in Kansas. We used to care about funding a university that allowed every child a chance to get a college education, and while I understand the need to have "value" in that education, I think the continuing rise in tuition rates, and the discussions of keeping certain students out of the mix, is in opposition to the originally stated purpose of a university that is supported by the tax payers of this state. KU has become so inaccessible that many students whose parents contribute to the institution are forced to tell their kids "no" to college or send them to alternative schools. If KU wants to be elite, then perhaps it should move into the category of a completely privately funded university. I am sure this is an unpopular sentiment---but the institution was created to support the students and the citizens of Kansas---not vice versa.

guesswho 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, if KU were truly funded by the state I would be inclined to be agree with you. However, the amount of support that the state gives is, what, 25%? Maybe that figure is too high; I don't know.

Shardwurm 4 years, 11 months ago

If KU rolled back tuition they'd gain more students and probably net out with an increase in revenue. Local community colleges are bulging with students who can't afford the 'state' universities, but would love to attend them. They're pricing themselves out of the market.

Surely there's an economist at KU who can take a break from 'researching' long enough to explain this.

Bruce Bertsch 4 years, 11 months ago

The state now funds less than 20% of KU's revenues. There is no room for additional students. Class room space is at a premium and there is no $$$ coming form the state to maintain what we currently have.

As for Vocal...most of the graduates in Kansas are not ready for classes at KU. The retention ratio is awful. This affects the ability to graduate in four years or even five. If you want KU to be a nationally recognized institution of higher learning, you have to raise the standards, not lower them.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 11 months ago

"We used to care about funding a university that allowed every child a chance to get a college education"

We still do! Sorry vocal, no one has the "right" to go to KU. You have to get the grades, and if you get the grades you will get the scholarships as well. I won't argue that it's expensive, prohibitively for some, but there is always a solution. Send your kids to a good community college. I spent my undergrad and grad at KU and even I took some classes at Johnson County, it's a great school. Once your kids prove themselves, they can easily transfer to KU and probably even get scholarships... especially if they are in state.

Your argument holds little water because there are plenty of other schools in this state that are more than capable of providing the students of taxpayers with ample opportunities for an education. It sounds to me like you are buying into the "elite" image of KU and discounting the other 5 universities in the state. BTW, last time I checked, any student in the U.S. who is a citizen and graduated from high school qualifies for financial aid. If your kids really want to go to KU that bad, they can take out a loan just like I did. The degree they earn should land them a job that will allow them to repay it. Next time try not to hijack a completely unrelated story on a personal rant.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

yeah, I don't think lawrence needs some kind of 'bargain tuition' influx of students....they should all be charged $1500/semester for living in lawrence, and not payin into the infrastructure

Kim Murphree 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey Stoltz...I don't mind that you disagree with me...I said what I think and it came as a result of the discussion of salaries at KU...made me once again think about how every year the University gets a 5% increase on tuition, too....so, don't tell me when and where to post...if I decide to discuss the color of the moon, then, I will, and it doesn't mean you have to respond. I'd really like to see some stats on how much taxpayer money goes to KU...and as for kids "making the grade"---I do still beleive that the "higher standards" ideal should be balanced with serving more of the students of this state...and NO they should not have to take out the ridiculous school loans which they will spend the rest of their lives paying back.....puts more burden on the poorer students. My experience as an educator has taught me that some students don't blossom until college...moreoever---education isn't about just supporting the cream of the crop...those who found high school easy...but it is helping those other smart kids out there find that they, too, can succeed...and become the Einsteins in America---and those kids are not all able to pay the high costs of tuition. I thank God that I was able to attend college so many years ago at a price I could afford.

james bush 4 years, 11 months ago

I was ready to be flippant and criticize KU and some of its curricum(liberal arts stuff) but Vocal's remarks make me understand that it's not a time to make light of KU"s dilemma. Thanks Vocal for your views. I agree. Still, I'd like the curriculum reviewed with and eye to losing some of the "fat."

FarneyMac 4 years, 11 months ago

In other words, Jim, you want the curriculum reviewed with an eye towards losing some of the stuff you don't agree with personally. Just say it.

samsnewplace 4 years, 11 months ago

WHY is noone outraged by the excessive salaries of everyone listed in this article? It amazes me the GREED in this country have about money and materialism. Do I personally think any of these folks are worth the amount they are paid, nope!

Alexander Smith 4 years, 11 months ago

The salaries are outragious on what they get payed. Those are online with major corporations. What makes it sick is that these people are so arrogant and abuse the grants they have its sad. My wife works at KU and the abuse these leaders approve on grants is appauling. What is worse, these executives are more concerened about getting more money then giving a solid education. KU is the worst offender of them all.

As for KU being a solid school, its not. I graduated from University of Iowa which is a top 50 school and the way they run the school is SUB PAR to that.

Whats really funny about KU is the medical school won't even accept credits from KU in certain area, the school is that poorly run.

Walken 4 years, 11 months ago

Apparently the English department at Iowa is not very good.