One life-flighted after single vehicle motorcycle accident

September 13, 2009

One person was taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City area hospital after being involved in a motorcycle accident.

The accident occurred near the intersection of Princeton Boulevard and Peterson Road about 7:55 p.m. Sunday. Douglas County dispatchers reported the accident involved only the motorcycle and its rider.

The victim's condition and information are not yet available.

Check back for more information as it becomes available.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

lawrencegrl11 4 years, 6 months ago

Since this accident occurred about 20ft from where myself and my family were standing, I thought I would give my factual report on what happened. We heard a motorcycle driving by not much faster in speed in which I hear cars driving by every day. If I really wanted to look from where I was standing we could of visually seen the accident but, for the longest time we didn't even realize that a “crash” had happened. If he was being that “careless” trust me we would of heard it and turned our heads and looked!My back yard backs up to this curve and it is a constant blind spot from the creek on Princeton blvd. all the way to Peterson rd. I won't let my child walk to school because it is such a dangerous curve going at any speed!! IM afraid to hit someone coming out of my street,(especially all the people walking their dogs partly in the damn road). The very next day they put up signs right where that kid should of turned, it's just sad it took a mans life to put them up. If it was this mans “irresponsible fault” than why was it necessary for the city to put up warning signs? Even if he looked one second to the right or left of him I could see how he ran straight into that curb. He had no time to turn. I'm not saying speeding isn't ruled out or that he wasn't paying attention, but I know what I heard and I'm in complete shock that he was killed! We all noticed the tire marks in the road and going at a speed of 30mph and stopping really fast could of easily caused the same skid marks. I had a friend who was killed by flipping over his bicycle,helmet on, so speed doesn't have to play a factor when anyone flipping over their bike, motorized or not, landing on their head can be killed? I mean, I'm just saying…we all don't know everything. And to clear up the facts that channel 6 news can't,he was 23 not 20, yes he was wearing a helmet that was knocked off his head when he landed, which is why people think he wasn't wearing one, and his bike was on the other side of the road because he landed in the median and the cops positioned his bike standing up there, but I guess you wouldn't know that unless you were there to see them do that.This kid is not my family but, if he was, I would be pissed if a news station was going to report a death of my loved one and not get factual information before releasing it to the public. It just brings out the ignorant people to make all the rude comments. From what I know from living off that horrible street is that you have to always pay attention because people will pull out in front of you.Even if you are going 15mph and looking down for two seconds I can see how you would hit a curb!There needs to be more warning signs for people who don't know this road very well! For literally being right there, I don't know everything, but this is what I know. Whether he was a good driver 99% of the time or not he was someone's family and it is a tragedy.

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

bigthubs: my comment was satire for one of the other posters here which generalize the way in which all bicyclists ride. and he rides a motorcycle. my point is that no one but the guy riding the bike knows what happened.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

Delta says: "Not everyone is content driving a Prius at 10mph below the limit."

Thank god (or the lack thereof). This Prius revolution is revolting.

grimpeur 4 years, 7 months ago

and tailg8 gets the cigar. You can bet when the crappy bikers (motorized and non-) get in their cars, they drive just like they ride. That's when they truly become dangerous. Problem is, there are lots more non-riding drivers whose crappy driving is compounded by the fact that a bigger vehicle inflates their sense of self-importance.

ku_tailg8 4 years, 7 months ago

I think most motorcyclist are responsible. I will see sports bikes doing some incredibly stupid things on the highway from time to time but its usually the rider the ends up with the worst of it if something happens. I'm more worried about the huge SUV's who are busy doing other things rather then focusing on the road.

ku_tailg8 4 years, 7 months ago

I hope this guy is ok. On another note, you can definitely tell by the sound if a vehicle is moving fast. Have you ever been to a nascar race or even close to a highway and notice the sound increasing as the vehicle approaches and decreasing as it moves away. Well the faster those two things happen is a good indicator that the vehicle was moving quickly. A bike can rev at a high RPM doing 25 mph but the sound will magnify at a much slower rate as it gets closer.

Keith 4 years, 7 months ago

"Didn't they oil patch that road? A surface like that and going above probably 45mph in my guestimation could cause a loss of traction. Plus, being about that time of the day, condensation from the drop in temperature could have played a part in this."

Nope, dry concrete. Come by and look at it and check out the straight line skidmark that then intersects the median curb at an angle, notice where the bike dug into the median and then skipped across the opposite lane to stop on the opposite curb, and then tell me speed wasn't the problem. P.S. I ride.

delta77 4 years, 7 months ago

No one else was involved in the accident - give the guy a break. If it was his fault then he's certainly facing the consequences. Not everyone is content driving a Prius at 10mph below the limit.

red_devil 4 years, 7 months ago

A lot of sport bike riders are young, irresponsible, and inexperienced. The bikes are fast and look cool so a kid goes out and buys one. It ends up being too much bike and the inexperience bites him in the ***. It happens with all motorcycles really but sport bikes and speed/power go hand in hand so they're less forgiving.

faceit 4 years, 7 months ago

You can't blame the fast moving traffic for all of the accidents. I'm here to tell you that moving too slow causes injury accidents. Many times after a night of excessive drinking, I've done the smart thing and not driven my car on the streets. I've driven down the sidewalks and those slow-moving pedestrians just don't get out of the way fast enough. They selfishly don't consider how I'm going to feel when I wake up and find torn clothes and blood on my bumper and my memory is completely blank. It's just not fair.

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

Bigthubs, I agree that the generalized statement by puddleglum was irresponsible.

I'm sorry your friend was hurt, and I hope he's okay, but the fact of the matter remains that lying in a hospital bed absolves nobody of their responsibility to be responsible. Judging by two things -- the comments of people who saw your friend ride by and by the skidmarks -- your friend was not riding in a responsible manner. Good thing he's smart enough to wear a helmet, unlike so many of the motorcyclists I see flying by my house.

lisabeth2002 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the lesson, but I know what I have seen AND heard.

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

If any of you would like to talk about irresponsibility, I would be happy to talk about motorists, bicyclists, drunks, etc. In every group of individuals there is always someone that is irresponsible. Just because they are in the news does not mean they fit the description.

Hearing someone "fly by" and seeing them fly by are 2 entirely different matters. I'm not trying to defend every sportbike because it's true, some out of the entire motorcycle community drive carelessly. But, having said that, motorcycles are loud. Sportbikes look fast standing still. Sportbikes sound fast because they rev high and typically have loud exhausts. None of that means they are necessarily going fast just because you heard it coming a block away.

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 7 months ago

More of our dollars wasted on a LifeFlight. When is LMH going to be able to handle the trauma cases? This is getting carried away. I read about how people are life flighted every day. C'mon people, give us all a break!!

Keith 4 years, 7 months ago

Heard him fly by, didn't hear the crash. Judging from the skid mark, he either forgot or didn't know that Princeton was curved as it meets Peterson. Yamaha Sport bike. At least he was wearing a helmet.

lisabeth2002 4 years, 7 months ago

I live off Peterson...I can't even begin to tell you how many times a day I see somebody on a motorcycle 'fly' by our house. I'm sure the first thing anybody who lives around here thought was that speed was probably a contributing factor to this accident. Here's to a quick recovery for the individual involved.

Bigthubs 4 years, 7 months ago

Please don't use this site to flame motorcyclists. That person was my friend and on a yamaha and I don't think anyone laying in a hospital bed needs to be accused of anything. As for, "...since all of those guys ride pretty irresponsibly," I feel that is an irresponsible and ignorant comment and have suggested its removal.

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

musta been riding a sport bike, since all of those guys ride pretty irresponsibly

parrothead8 4 years, 7 months ago

This happened about 50 yards from my house. I wasn't outside, but my neighbor was and he said the guy went by going REALLY fast.

Monica Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

What?? No comments on the life flight yet??