Archive for Friday, September 11, 2009

Life Star helicopter dispatched to car-motorcycle accident in west Lawrence

Emergency crews work at the scene of a car-motorcycle accident Friday afternoon at the 3400 block of Bob Billings Parkway.

September 11, 2009, 2:11 p.m. Updated September 11, 2009, 4:15 p.m.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel get ready to transport a motorcyclist who hit the rear of a car at St. Andrews Drive and Bob Billings Parkway about 2 p.m Friday. The motorcyclist was flown by Life Star helicopter to a regional trauma center.

A motorcyclist was injured Friday afternoon when he drove into the back of a car that was turning off Bob Billings Parkway onto St. Andrew's Drive.

A Life Star helicopter flew the 24-year-old motorcyclist to a Kansas City area hospital with severe but nonlife-threatening injuries, according to Lawrence police Sgt. Bill Cory.

Cory said the accident occurred as the motorcyclist ran into the back of a vehicle driven by a 27-year-old Lawrence woman who was slowing to turn left onto St. Andrew's Drive. Cory said witnesses told police that before the accident the motorcyclist was weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed.

Comments

countrygirl1791 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh, Von! A friend of mine posted on Facebook that a friend of hers was in a motorcycle accident. I knew she knew Von, too, and I was hoping she wasn't referring to him. Then I found out a little bit ago, that yes, Von was in a motorcycle accident. That just makes me cry! I worked with Von for a long time and everyone who knows him loves him to pieces. He is a very special, highly intelligent, wonderful young man. He's always positive, always laughing, always joking around and always making everyone's day brighter.

I told him all the time I worried about him having an accident and he always told me he was careful. Oh this just breaks my heart. My husband is Von's supervisor at work and we both send our love and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

And yes, to the girl who he ran into, Hoots said it best. Von would probably say he was sorry for making you cry. And then he'd give you one of his great big old hugs.

We love you, Von, and will see you SOON!

junctionsavvy 4 years, 7 months ago

Just to give everyone an update, Von is ok and is at KU med in KC. Von worked 80 hours a week to get that motorcycle and he loved nothing more than riding that bike. He broke his leg in three places and should be able to fully recover...Keep him in your prayers please.

ridinthefence 4 years, 7 months ago

It has been my my experience that the responders in this community do a great job and they should be commended for the what they do. They are the people you depend on when and if you, your family and friends face tragic situations.

Hoots 4 years, 7 months ago

GSXR600 I agree 100%. When Von was with us on a ride he was always the voice of moderation. 60 Minutes did a segment on eye witness reports and most often when they test people on what they thought they saw it is often very inaccurate when it came to what they looked like, what they were doing, or what really happened. Probably because he was riding a bike that looks like its going 100mph sitting still he is guilty. He was always safe even when surrounded by people doing something stupid. He was the least reckless of all of us.

It really hurt to see a guy who was always nothing but smiles writhing in pain while his friend Felix and I wondered if we would ever see this happy guy alive again. People showed up at the scene to see what was going on after I called them all to make sure he was alright. It was a relief when the responders at the accident told us it was probably just a leg injury. Those guys were great and their assurance that he would probably be alright was comforting. The responders did a wonderful job taking care of and comforting him as much as they could. We are lucky to have such good people working in our emergency response.

As for the girl he hit you should think of her too. She had a very bad day in a not so different way. I was torn between Von's pain and hers. She was so upset and probably wondering the same things we were. I just hope you're not too hard on yourself. I'm sure Von would say he was sorry for making you cry. He's just that kind of guy.

Defender 4 years, 7 months ago

"Cory said witnesses told police that before the accident the motorcyclist was weaving in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed."

Apparently someone or several someones saw some very reckless driving. Sorry, but I believe the witnesses. Hope he comes out ok, and if guilty of what the witnesses saw, I hope he learns something too.

I once had a young kid ride with his front tire next to my passenger back fender, in a construction zone, trying to get around me in a closed off lane. If I had not seen him and had to brake for any reason, he would have died.

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

Von is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We used to ride together. Always respectful. Always hilarious. Absolutely outgoing. I hope we can get an update at some point because a lot of people want to know how he's doing.

I've never seen him do anything anything reckless. It's a dangerous world out there and in an instant you can die. Unfortunately a second on a bike can be the difference between life and death.

By the way, it's impossible to judge speed while moving. You also can't compare one red sportbike to another red sportbike you see on the road on a different day. Also, helmets save lives. Ever wonder how fast superbike racers are going when the crash? Between 40mph and ~150mph.

I'm not really a praying kind of guy, but I'll be thinking of him tonight.

Hoots 4 years, 7 months ago

I ride with Von often and he doesn't act like an ASS!!! Me and one of the other guys I ride with were at the scene after the fact and saw them treat him and put him on the Life-flight.

We are very worried about him but can't get any information. In fact he has many people who wish him the best. He is one of the happiest respectful people you would ever want to meet. People judge so fast and witnesses often embellish. I have never seen him do anything reckless.

From what I saw it was a simple rear end accident like the one I witnessed just east of the Walgreen’s on 23rd yesterday. It only takes a second or two of inattention. I can tell you one thing...he wasn't texting or talking on the phone. He wasn't laying that far from the car to have been traveling at a high rate of speed.

I also send my best wishes out to the girl whose car he hit. I saw her standing on the corner crying her eyes out. Both of them had a very bad afternoon.

tomatogrower 4 years, 7 months ago

With all the accidents that seem to be happening lately, I think Lawrence, Memorial should look into becoming a trauma center.

blindrabbit 4 years, 7 months ago

Best wishes to the motorcylist. Last week in the same general area a young male motorcyclist on a red sport bike passed us (we were doing the speed limit), he weaving in and out of traffic. I estimated he was doing at least 80 mph as he went around us. Of course no helmet, if that would have mattered at that speed.

kseagle 4 years, 7 months ago

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

Gotcha. Thanks Jonathan!

As I was worrying, I know a 24yr old guy with a red sportbike. I can't tell what make and model of bike that is from the picture though.

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

just wondering why this isn't car vs. motorcycle accident?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 7 months ago

gsxr-- We generally base it on the reported condition of the individual, as well as how traffic in the area might be affected. In the car-bicycle accident, Iowa Street was greatly slowed the individual on the bike was triaged "code red" by paramedics. This accident didn't back traffic up nearly as badly — and didn't happen around the evening commute — and the individual was said to be less severely injured.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

Hope everybody's going to be OK. By the way, what is the criteria to make a story breaking news? I saw the other day the car/bicycle accident was breaking, however I see this is not.