Archive for Thursday, September 3, 2009

Georgia man accused of slapping someone else’s crying child at store

September 3, 2009

— Police say a 61-year-old man annoyed with a crying 2-year-old girl at a suburban Atlanta Walmart slapped the child several times after warning the toddler’s mother to keep her quiet.

A police report says after the stranger hit the girl at least four times, he said: “See, I told you I would shut her up.”

Roger Stephens of Stone Mountain is charged with felony cruelty to children. It was unclear if he had an attorney and a telephone call to his home Wednesday was unanswered.

Authorities say the girl and her mother were shopping Monday when the toddler began crying. The police report says Stephens approached the mother and said, “If you don’t shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you.”

Authorities say Stephens then grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her. The child began screaming and Stephens was arrested. Police say an examination showed the girl’s face was slightly red.

A call to the girl’s mother, identified in the police report as Sonya Mathews of Grayson, was answered by a woman who identified herself as Sabrina Mathis, the victim’s aunt.

Mathis said Wednesday that the girl is doing fine.

“As of today, she has really forgotten about it,” Mathis said. “She’s been playing.”

Mathis said the girl’s mother was shaken up over the incident.

“She’s as well as to be expected,” Mathis said. “Right now she’s just trying to calm down.”

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 2 months ago

Saw his mugshot. Looks like the kind of guy who just got done shooting squirrels on his lawn.

Blessed4x 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow! If he'd have done that to one of my children, he'd have been picking his teeth up off the floor!

puddleglum 6 years, 2 months ago

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

I believe the man worked there...the slappin' fool!

He obviously wasn't raised to well himself and I hope the man didn't have children of his own. Just to give him the benefit of the doubt...perhaps he has a brain tumor or some other affliction that interfered with his 'normal' brain activity. One can only hope.

nverlost 6 years, 2 months ago

Puddleglum, Nice, arrogant remark there. I do very well for myself and my family and actually like shopping at the mart. Typical anti-Co. lib view though I guess.

Take_a_letter_Maria 6 years, 2 months ago

C'mon now, you know you've all been in that situation where you want to tell the parent to do something to shut the kid up. We've just had the common sense to not act on it.

countrygirl 6 years, 2 months ago

They'd have been carting me off to jail after I got done with the idiot that would strike my child--and a two year old at that.

Jim Williamson 6 years, 2 months ago

Maria's got it. You can think anything you want, and often, you can even say something. But you just don't DO it.

Anyone got a link to this clown's mugshot?

Ronda Miller 6 years, 2 months ago

The child was only two for heavens sake (not that any age would make this incident appropriate) and she might have been sick or just in need of a nap. The man could have/ should have walked away if he was so bothered by a completely normal sound. Sometimes just talking to the child will soothe them, and in particular by someone she should have thought of as a kindly grandfather type. What a pity - I hope the rest of her interactions with people are pleasant and this won't leave a 'mark' on her.

coolmom 6 years, 2 months ago

this is why i cant do concealed carry. seriously? what the heck is wrong with people? i do hope this man gets some help but from the jail cell where he belongs. i read this and just sat stunned at the sheer arrogance of this jerk. what the heck was the mother doing when he was smacking the child? 4 or 5 times? he had already made a threat why was he allowed that close?

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

A smack on the behind or wrist is much different than a smack on the face. The mother should be jailed for not taking up for the child.

labmonkey 6 years, 2 months ago

So you are saying that you actually have the money to look at the label and try to buy American and try to save jobs, yet you shop at a place that has killed more American jobs than any place else? You can look at my comment history an know that I am not a Liberal either.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 2 months ago

Don't even get me started on my Anti-Wal-Mart rant. They are the company that destroyed America. I would be happy to provide you with DVD and book titles that will educate you on the evilness of this empire.

nverlost 6 years, 2 months ago

labmonkey, I don't "buy American" just to be patriotic and support American jobs. Prime example - cars. Although they are starting to make strides in some models I would never of bought an American junk box in the last 30 years. Build it right and I'll buy it. I personally work with many businesses that know how to compete with the mart just fine. Why don't you start by being a proponent of ditching Union Labor than going after a corp. entity? UL has done a pretty good job in itself in killing American jobs, wouldn't you agree?

On the subject of this story though, I'd say that this yahoo who hit the girl will have to live with all of his friends and neighbors knowing what he did regardless of what, legally, happens to him.

Sigmund 6 years, 2 months ago

It takes a village to raise a child to keep their trap shut.

spiff 6 years, 2 months ago

I always love to see terrible old people going to jail.

MeAndFannieLou 6 years, 2 months ago

Roger, this man probably saw his action as vigilante justice - and it's a perfect example fo what's wrong with it!

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 2 months ago

I enjoy shopping at Walmart and I have heard crying children. The mother has to complete the shopping and get home. There are times when the child is inconsolable. I would have taken action when the man made his statement. I would have gone right to security and the store manager and reported him. I have saw adults do far worse things in public.

Jimo 6 years, 2 months ago

Good thing for all that the mother was not availing herself of Georgia's concealed carry law.

Stuart Evans 6 years, 2 months ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says… this happened at a wal-mart? ha! what do you expect from customers who shop there? scum

what a loser of a comment to make. ignorant to the bone.

costello 6 years, 2 months ago

"The mother should be jailed for not taking up for the child."

Oh, for heaven's sake! Has the parenting bashing on this forum come to this? A woman's toddler is physically attacked in a store, and we should jail the mom?

Stuart Evans 6 years, 2 months ago

roger_gilchrist (Anonymous) says… Well, at least the kid won't be acting up in the store anymore. Actually, does this suprise you coming from Wal-Mart shoppers?

congrats Roger, you and puddlegum are both in first place for most ignorant posts.

Shane Garrett 6 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone else think the guy looks like Paul Lynn? RIP

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

I too am shocked that the man was able to slap the child four or five times. Why the mother didn't attempt to literally kill this man after the first hit is beyond me. While I don't have children, I do have neices and nephews, and I guarantee you the mug shot of the man would have been one of a bloody, pulverized face.

I now want to slap the mother for allower her child to be slapped that many times!

Tom: "Mr. Kealing, is it OK for Agnostick to keep referring to me as 'right-thinker'?"

Tom, I recommend you stop while you are still behind.

jimmyjms 6 years, 2 months ago

"Nice, arrogant remark there. I do very well for myself and my family and actually like shopping at the mart. Typical anti-Co. lib view though I guess."

Uh huh.

"If a kid is acting up in public you take him/her out of public."

I love to hear opinions on parenting from people who don't have kids. Thanks, kid.

Larry got it right. That guy would be passing blood for weeks.

jimmyjms 6 years, 2 months ago

"That's actually a good strategy, one that my wife and I have successfully deployed a number of times."

Maybe, but that's realistic maybe 30% of the time - you can't always just say "ah, damn kid. I'll shop for groceries some other time."

WhiteDog 6 years, 2 months ago

Huh, so if a parent does it, it's good discipline, but if a stranger does it, it's a felony. Go figure.

guesswho 6 years, 2 months ago

Who knows why the child was crying? Maybe the mom told her she couldn't have a toy and the child was crying. Certainly slapping her wouldn't help. Removing her isn't necessarily the best situation, either. Sometimes you need to let the child cry for them to work through it. Removing them could be rewarding the child.

MyName 6 years, 2 months ago

Ugh, comments like "the mother should have taken the child out" or "if a parent does it it's 'good discipline'" are so dumb that I can't believe the writer even finished the thought.

If this was a park, and a stranger walks up and kicks your dog because it won't stop barking, how many people here would stick up for the stranger? But somehow because you experience a crying child in a store often enough for it to be annoying, that makes it the parent's fault somehow, or it's somehow more justifiable?

Sometimes I think the LJWorld forums cause brain damage. Maybe it's just the radiation from the computer screens or something.

Calliope877 6 years, 2 months ago

Please don't take this as "parent bashing", but I'm also really confused why the mother just kinda stood by and watched the guy smack her kid? Maybe it's southern culture at play? And what I mean by that is it seems to me that many people in the south still have the 1950s mentality that a woman should always be meek and "lady-like". Perhaps that's the reason why she didn't protect her child. :(

paisley 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm leaning toward agreement with hillbilly_jim's 9:11 post.

Calliope877 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't think anyone is "taking up" for this a-hole. I think it's a legitimate question as to why this mother just stood there and let an old man slap her kid not once, but four times! A parent is supposed to protect their child.

MyName 6 years, 2 months ago

Well since you can't really answer the question unless you were there or you have some kind of mental telepathy. I think it's stupid to make such a statement. Though the simplest answer is probably shock.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

LOL @ a "cross between george lindsey and emporer palpatine"!

MyName 6 years, 2 months ago

And that wasn't one of the comments I mentioned in my earlier posting, FYI.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

You know, there are kids who are crying because they are grumpy, crabby, and just need to let it out, and then there are ones who scream at the top of their lungs because they didn't get their way. You have to deal with each case as it comes. Kids, especially two year olds, cry. I know there were times I couldn't leave the store because my kid was upset or hurt at something. I had to shop and get home. No one else around to watch the kids. Lots of parents in that situation.

WhiteDog 6 years, 2 months ago

MyName (Anonymous) says…

Ugh, comments like “the mother should have taken the child out” or “if a parent does it it's 'good discipline'” are so dumb that I can't believe the writer even finished the thought.

Obviously, you thought my comment was so dumb that you didn't even finish reading it. I was questioning the judgment of those who thought the parent should be the one hitting the baby in the name of good discipline. It's called sarcasm, dude.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

some folks up in here are taking this subject waaaay too seriously. and, frankly, i think its funny as hell. hehehehe :)

georgiahawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I live in Georgia, this does not surprise me at all! I lived in Kansas for 47 years before moving here and I have never been arround a group of people that, as a whole, are as ignorant and backwords and proud of it. They remind me of Rightthinker!

Sagecasey 6 years, 2 months ago

He must have been the Walmart greeter.

Tom McCune 6 years, 2 months ago

Tom S:

This was Georgia. The correct forms of address for elders are "mamaw" and "papaw."

countrygirl 6 years, 2 months ago

61 sounds pretty young to be the Walmart greeter.

Nickie1033 6 years, 2 months ago

Glad you think a 2year old being smacked repeatedly is HILARIOUS! I hope someone pops you in the face for crying! STUPID IDIOT SHE'S 2! I also believe that people who POST EVERY SINGLE DAY ON HERE at least 15x a day..... are pretty pathetic. Get a life! Hate alllll ya want I speak the truth... And I won't read anymore on this article so save your overly ignorant breath honeyface..

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

I have to say, shock or not, had he slapped my child, he would have pulled back a bloody stub. I hope they throw the book at this guy. What if that baby was sick? 2y/o's cry when they are sick, so what if that was the issue? Furthermore, why didnt any other shoppers come to her aide? If I seen any store worker slap a customers child....he/she is pulling back a boody stump.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

nickie, so you are aware that i blog and post on this site often. how would you know that? maybe because you visit this site often as well? so who needs to get a life? sounds like we BOTH do, darling. ;)

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

numerous: "what the heck was the mother doing when he was smacking the child? 4 or 5 times? he had already made a threat why was he allowed that close?"

I really think without any of us being there this is like asking why a QB didn't run an option on a hurry-up in the closing seconds of the 4th. You could slap someone 4-5 times in less than two seconds. I would guess, if I had to, that likely during those 2 seconds the lady was trying to start her heart and her brain working again, as shock at such an uncommon breach of public space (towards your own child at that) would likely make both pause for a moment.

As to the fighting back, we don't know how big or small or bold or dimunitive this lady is, and the guy does kind of look like a shaved wookiee.

(sorry Agno, but my opinion is without the black cloak and the finger lightning, Palpatine wouldn't look very threatening)

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 2 months ago

I have no problem with kids being kids. If one runs in front of me at Walmart I just smile and say hi. They say hi back and go on. If I see a child crying, I say, oh, what's the matter sweetie? I was waiting in the customer service line, it was a long one, and two boys ahead of me with their mother, I think they were nine and ten were running around with some sort of plastic guns shooting at each other. One pointed my way and then looked up at me with big eyes. I pointed my finger at him and went bang. We all laughed. I asked them if it wasn't totally boring standing in line and they said yes. We all played together and had fun. As did the other customers who were now smiling. See, you can all mad and huffy and I'm an adult, so blah, blah, blah, whatever. I choose to relax and have fun. That man would have been fired and arrested for threatening a child, had I been there, and not got near enough to slap the child.

puddleglum 6 years, 2 months ago

nverlost: thanks for referring to me as arrogant. I am glad that there is a distinction between me and you & your buddy areunorml.

now then, please go back to missouri. and enjoy being 'well-off' & shopping at wal-mart (chuckle)

whoever posted that photo of that was really funny. too bad it was an american made vehicle. oh yeah, I am pro U.S. corporations, as long as they aren't anti-u.s., wal-mart.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

okay... quick question... why do so many people refer to missourians are backwood, countrified hillybillies? (i realize that whole term was an exercise in redundancies but whatever...) aside from their roads and streets looking alot crappier than ours, i don't really see a difference. not too many people would be able to distinguish a kansan from a missourian.

anyway, just my thought. but then again, i need a life. what the hell do i know?

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"They are of English, Scottish decent while Kansas is mostly German Irish decent."

Riiiiigght. Big difference. Those groups remained racially pure for sooooo much of their history.

"why do so many people refer to missourians are backwood, countrified hillybillies?"

Sports rivalries, old Civil War rivalries, fun with stereotyping, consoling ourselves because of our own national reputation, those would be my guesses.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

i was wondering if the whole "burning of lawrence" had to do anything w/ it... i have always been proud of being a kansas for these two reasons: a. KU basketball (and now football as well) and b. the fact that we remained a free state when our next door neighbor to the east wasn't.

the ozark thing, yeh, i've heard before... hillbillies from down in those parts. someone once said that is where granny clampett was supposed to be from (although, to my vast TV knowledge, i never remember her saying anything like that).

i will say this though... i am a kansan. have lived here for most of my life. however when i lived in the kansas city area i lived in both KCMO and in jo-co. and i will say that i totally prefer KCMO (i lived right down the street from UMKC). yeh-- you can get shot in KCMO, but it has so much more character than all of the monopoly houses and super targets that dot jo-co. plus its cheaper. so as long as you have good locks on your doors, that's the best place to be.

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

oh and sorry for my typos, guys. i try and type fast enough as to not allow my boss to walk by and see that i'm actually not working at the time. :D

Mel Briscoe 6 years, 2 months ago

i've been told i can be condescending but pretentious? never!

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

Is there a store video? Sorry jonas, but if someone threatened my child or a child I was with in one aisle, I guarantee that person wouldn't get anywhere near that child on another aisle. In my opinion, this shouldn't have happened simply because the mother should have been more proactive with protecting her child.

Tom: "Agnostick, the most disconcerting thought is why in the world you'd be thinking of me while in a pubic bathroom stall."

I wouldn't worry Tom. I'm sure if anyone is thinking of you in that situation it is a fleeting thought. Then they flush.

cntrygrl 6 years, 2 months ago

The argument going on here is RIDICULOUS!!! I take my children to Wal-Mart. Yes - they scream like morons. Yes - I try and stop it. But, honestly, the dirty looks go BOTH ways! I either get looked at like I'm a horrible parent because my 1 year old is crying because I won't let him have the freebie that the lady is handing out OR I get ridiculed because I DO discipline them in public.

I don't have anyone to keep my children for me. I'm a mom. I take my kids where I go. If someone has a problem being "subjected" to horrible children, then why don't you go shopping at night. My kids will be asleep at this point and you won't have to deal with them. But, if you do have to deal with them, don't even consider touching them. That's a mistake you don't want to make!

Maybe you should go talk to your Mothers. Then, please feel free to post the stories of your childhood. Especially since I'm sure that you were all absolutely pefectly well behaved as children. Please!!!!

rubberband 6 years, 2 months ago

First, let me say that I think this man had no business touching this child. However, I can also say I have thought to myself "Please shut that kid up!" on many occasions while shopping. I can't believe how often people will shop for an entire hour with a child wailing, regardless of their reason for crying. When my kids were younger, if they acted up while we were in the store, I parked my cart and immediately took them from the store to the car where we waited until they were calm, then resumed shopping. If they didn't calm down, we went home. It is the considerate thing to do for other shoppers and a sacrifice you make as a parent. It isn't up to the other shoppers to tolerate your child's misbehavior or shop at night to avoid it. And it is your responsibility to teach your child that they do not have the right to annoy other people everywhere they go.

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"Sorry jonas, but if someone threatened my child or a child I was with in one aisle, I guarantee that person wouldn't get anywhere near that child on another aisle. In my opinion, this shouldn't have happened simply because the mother should have been more proactive with protecting her child."

Well, Bea, since you and I know how you shy away from confrontation . . . .

Anyway, I won't argue that with hindsight she should have done something different, but hindsight works that way.

supernik 6 years, 2 months ago

sorry all, my kids run around like crazy on those days that they have been forced to shop with mommy - if i can see them then i'm not worried - they only get to be kids once, why not make it fun, if someone doesnt like it there are a gazillion other places they can go - kids cry at target too btw... actually, and at dillons and calamity janes, and the toy store, and at the mechanics - dang! they cry everywhere! HUH! oh well - it happens.

govenorteacup 6 years, 2 months ago

It is unreasonable to believe that a parent can depend on another person to take care of their child while they go shopping.  This takes away from learning proper social interactions.  Furthermore, their are tons of parents who don't have family to take care of their child, or the money to have a babysitter.  If a child is having a tantrum in a store, removing the child from the store proves to the child that this is a great way to get what they want.  This has been discussed on the ljworld before.

If we use stereotypes in this WalMart incident, then this mother needs to shop at a lowcost store.  The toddler could have been sick, autistic, tired, overwhelmed...etc.  But when someone needs to shop for their family's needs, then they've got to do it.  You can't expect her to have another time to do her shopping.  To those of you who nag about the mother not stepping in: The child got smacked pretty quickly. She didn't have much time to react. The man is most likely bigger than her and also she might not have had the physical skills to do so.

govenorteacup 6 years, 2 months ago

Also, think about how the mother felt... you should know that having a crying toddler in astore is stressful and sometimes overwhelming and embarrassing.
It that case, one tries to hurry through their shopping which will add to stress. But what needs to get done, must get done.

JackKats 6 years, 2 months ago

Confirms the name I call Walmart is accurate: I call it "The Redneck Jogging Track"

rubberband 6 years, 2 months ago

How does removing the child from the store prove that throwing a tantrum is a great way to get what they want? In essence, it's a "time out", without subjecting the rest of the shoppers to the tantrum.

pace 6 years, 2 months ago

What this guy weigh? looks like about 170 pounds, a two year old, what, 25 pounds. The mother was probably more intent on getting the kid out of the monsters' hands as safely as possible. than meting out punishment to the madman. The situation is not what one expects to happen. Suddenly someone has grabbed your baby and slapping it around. Whoo, what is the safest way to stop the attack. It sounds like she stayed calm, but what kind of monster decides to slap a crying baby rather than walk away, what else might he do, what kind of mental condition does he have? I wonder if he has a long history of bizarre violence, and been let go.

9070811 6 years, 2 months ago

rubberband: because the child wants to leave....

lobo 6 years, 2 months ago

Shooting squirrels on your lawn can be fun!

hypocritessuck 6 years, 2 months ago

First off, all of you who think you are too good to shop at Wal-Mart, get over yourselves. I think if doctors, who make way more money than the average person can handle shopping at Wal-Mart, you probably could too. Second, parents do have a responsibility to teach their kids to behave, but by the age of 2, it probably will not have been accomplished yet. Now when they are around the age of 6 and still throwing fits, then it gets annoying. But I DO NOT agree with slapping a kid in public or ever. Kids faces are way too sensitive to be hit like that. As for the door greeter comments, those are very disrespectful. I think that the door greeters are a wonderful addition to my shopping experience and they are all very nice and don't deserve your scorn. And Wal-Mart is not destroying America, it is providing a lot of people with jobs, decent pay for the education level required, and it started out as a small business, just one that knew how to keep customers coming back. And why does everyone go on and on about how bad Wal-Mart is, but not McDonalds? McDonalds pay is worse and they are worse for your health...unless you are a kid who gets slapped by a stranger at Wal-Mart!

gogoplata 6 years, 2 months ago

Ha, I broke up a fight when I was working at WalMart over a situation like this, I'm guessing the summer of 96. Only the guy didn't slap the kid he just told him to shut up or something. The dad grabbed a baseball bat from the sporting goods section and followed the guy out to the vestibule and clubbed him with the bat.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

Jesse wrote: Many doctors say they do not consider temper tantrums to be “misbehavior,” but rather the normal and healthy release of stress and frustration. Research has shown that crying and raging have beneficial effects, helping to release tensions, lower blood pressure, and excrete stress-related chemicals from the body through tears, thereby restoring the body's chemical balance. Children should therefore never be punished or discouraged from crying or raging at that age.

--- ... at any age. Jesse, you just wrote a great epigram about LJWorld posters, too! besides crying and raging, add laughing.

TomS, you know you and I are on the same wing of the political bird.

however man, that typo "pubic" was pretty LOL!

I can't believe people are on here criticizing the mother, or even blaming southern womanhood!

this was shocking, frightening, and fast. if this had happened in the Wal-mart at Chastity Falls Kansas, you'd likely get the same result. if it were at Grass Valley California, same too.

imagine the shock and fright for that poor mother!

though I too often note uncontrolled screamers in stores like Wal-mart, and find them extremely irritating, what this man did was criminally wrong.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I think the dude kind of looks like Harrison Ford without all of his makeup and plastic surgery

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

If a stranger slapping a child is a felony, then parents should not be allowed to slap their children either, don't you think?

pace 6 years, 2 months ago

If a stranger grabs a kid and takes them to another state is a felony then a parent taking their kid to another state should be a felony, that is the logic of that reasoning.

Kris_H 6 years, 2 months ago

NOBODY should ever slap a 2-year-old in the face for ANYTHING.

If you feel you have to hit your child, smack their well-padded little bottom.

This creep should spend some time behind bars and get some help.

Better yet, round up all the available relatives of the child, sit the creep in a chair and let them pass by him and deliver four or five good slaps to the face apiece.

rubberband 6 years, 2 months ago

9070811: I can assure you, sitting in the car until they quieted down was not what my child wanted...

jafs 6 years, 2 months ago

It's ok for parents to hid their kids but not for other people.

Following that logic, is it ok for parents to:

Rob their children Rape their children Threaten their children with physical violence Etc.

Also, the crime you refer to is the removal by force of children from their legal guardians. If one parent (for example, during a custody dispute) forcibly removed the child and transported them across state lines, I'm pretty sure that would be illegal as well.

It's always surprised me how many seem to believe it's fine to assault children in the name of "discipline".

jonas_opines 6 years, 2 months ago

"How does removing the child from the store prove that throwing a tantrum is a great way to get what they want?"

Because in general you'd be giving the child what they wanted. Children throw temper tantrums in stores for two reasons: they'd rather be home playing with toys, or they were denied a toy on the rack that they wanted.

jimmyjms 6 years, 2 months ago

"I do not believe in abuse, but I do believe in appropriate discipline."

Hitting a two year old in the face is appropriate discipline?

"I do have two wonderful children, honor students both, Christians, and volunteers in the community. "

How old are these kids? I ask because I would find it more than amusing for you to say that they're Christians (as if that means anything at all - would they be less impressive if they were wonderful, honor student atheists? Buddhists? Muslims?) if they anywhere under 20. If they are, all that means is that they do what you do, not that they've lived enough to even comprehend religion in any sort of meaningful way.

Lacy Mohler 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Rubberband on the discipline. I was at the store with a 3-year-old once when he decided to throw a down-on-the-floor kicking and screaming tantrum. He had just started pre-school and had a friend for whom this worked quite well. I parked the cart, marched him out to the car, took him home and sent him to his room. Then I sat down at the kitchen table with a magazine, a cola and nice bowl of ice cream (he could peak around his door and see me). That doesn't sound very harsh, but I am the easiest going of mothers and it pissed me off to be treated that way. He never did it again. I don't know why it worked, but it did. My only guess is he had never seen me really mad and didn't want to see it again.

I remember reading a story once of parents on a vacation with the two kids in the backseat. Parents had endured hours of "she has her foot on my side" and " he is looking at me" etc. Mom finally turned around and said, "Come here John I am going to poke your eyes out. Will that make you happy, Mary, if I poke your brother's eyes out?" She said they were so startled that mom had lost her mind they sat back and shut up until they got to their motel. It is not a bad thing for kids to learn that adults have a breaking point---four slaps to face from a stranger is just crazy--but mom should have done something.

The last time I encountered a crying kid in Walmart--it went on forever--with the mother threatening and doing a little stapping herself. She was shopping on the cosmetics isle--hardly the essentials for family survival.

ModSquadGal 6 years, 2 months ago

Let me just say this... if that guy had slapped MY little girl, he'd have pulled back a bloody stump. NOT. EVEN. KIDDING. This guy needs to be carted out into the street and smacked up side the head. Completely and utterly indefensible.

greenworld 6 years, 2 months ago

I guess the girls mother didnt slap her before the old man could. The kid should have shut up, crying is just a terrible thing for a 2 yr old to do. I bet if the man had to do it all over again he would have given the baby a lollipop or something.

igby 6 years, 2 months ago

"Kid needed it!"

"Should of slapped the mom too!"

"...and any of you hero's"

This guy would beat to crap out of you too.Lol.