Archive for Tuesday, September 1, 2009

East Lawrence Farm and Home store to host pet food drive for Lawrence Humane Society

September 1, 2009

Beginning Wednesday, Orscheln Farm and Home is starting a two-week pet food drive to help the Lawrence Humane Society.

The store, 1541 E. 23rd St., Lawrence, will accept food to donate until Sept. 17.

Also, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, the humane society will bring a pets to an adoption event at the store. Anyone interested in adopting the pets will still have to go through the humane society’s adoption process.

“It’s great to be able to see people adopt animals, and they go to good homes,” said Dave Haight, store manager.

As for the food drive, Kayse Aschenbrenner, the humane society’s operations manager, said the shelter accepts Science Diet foods as donations to feed animals there. The shelter gives other kinds of pet food to people who are not able to feed their animals, Aschenbrenner said.

Orscheln is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Comments

Laura Wilson 4 years, 7 months ago

I feed my cats Iams which has the same "byproducts", so to speak, as Science Diet but is cheaper and available at all groceries. Back when I was a kid we fed our cats the cheaper dry food--friskies or the like--and one nearly died from urinary disease caused by crystals forming caused by the high ash content in cheaper dry foods. Our vet said we were lucky the cat lived and recommended we switch to a food with low ash content. We switched immediately to Science Diet and then, when Iams became available, to it, and have never had another problem. Even with only female cats (this is a male cat disease) I feed them Iams because they don't get the runs etc. I can understand why the Humane Society sticks with one food and the more expensive variety--it is healthier and less messier, for cats at least.

If you can't donate the more expensive food and don't want to give cheaper food that won't be used at the Humane Society, give them money or blankets/towels. Helping is helping, no matter how much or what you give.

planetwax 4 years, 7 months ago

We stopped feeding our dogs SD and Iams long ago. We only feed them raw meaty bones, and their health has greatly improved. Kibble is not a dog's natural diet, nor is it a cat's. It largely contributes to the ills that pets now face in our modern society. 75% of dogs have periodontal disease before age 3, even when eating the expensive garbage. Go figure. Also, no dog got sick or died because they lacked some pharmaceutical. Symptoms are signs of healing, and we as a people, do everything in our power to stop the healing process (i.e., symptoms). Carnivores eat meat and bones. It's not pretty, but true. http://www.rawmeatybones.com

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

paisley - if you donate the other stuff that is requested on their wish list it should all go the shelter. Just don't donate other types of food. I do agree that your donations should be used as intended.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

OK. Here you go. Pet food ingredients can be compared like this. I'll make it simple.

A dog might eat a shoe,feed it some gravel and chew up wood, eat it all gone. It will feel full for a while, and probably have some stomach and stool problems. Your whole back yard will be full of undigested shoe leather, gravel and wood. And the dog will become ill from lack of good nutrition. A vet I know used to call this the Ol' Roy example. The clients would switch the dogs over to SD and tell us how little stool their big dogs were now making, and how many fewer huge bags they had to carry home from the store each week, lol.

My show kennel, breeding stock, family pets I used Eukanuba. Previously I had used Purina and some Kibbles, etc. (My step dad worked there, I got it free from him)

SD, Iams, etc. Better digestible ingredients = Smaller stool output. Cleaner formed stools. Better animal health.

Sure for the average pet owner it costs more, but the shelter gets a break, buys in bulk, also direct delivery.

You really don't want them switching food types with every bag that is brought in.

PS..I miss the old Purina Puppy Chow, milk flavor. That stuff rocked!

paisley 4 years, 7 months ago

This event seems to defeat the purpose. If I donate to a cause, I would really like my donation to go where it should. The "up" side may be that some animals will get adopted however.

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

kmat - thanks for the tip about checking the website wishlist. Though I am a big shelter supporter, I too was kind of taken aback by the Science Diet only "rule". It is true that they are not even asking for dry food. And the only wet food they need is for kitties.

You might want to use a few less "clueless" and "jerks" to make your point.

kmat 4 years, 7 months ago

Those trashing the shelter are as always, clueless.

The shelter gets most of its dry food donated by S.D. They still need wet food.

Call the shelter or check their website to see what items they really need at any given time. Of course, cold hard cash is always best because they can purchase what they need.

And they do use other brands of wet food. Wet food is only for sick animals so they can mix their meds in it. They were desperate during the puppy/kitten season for wet food of any kind.

Only jerks would complain about our wonderful shelter. They are one of the best there is and Midge works her *ss off for those animals.

Headdr needs to pull his head out. The food they give to those having financial hardships is to help these people keep their animals. There have been many people lose their jobs and it's in the shelter's better interest to help these people keep their pets instead of turn them over to the shelter that is already at max capacity. Just because someone is down on their luck in a bad economy doesn't mean they have to get rid of their beloved furry friends.

meggers 4 years, 7 months ago

It makes complete sense that the shelter would feed only one kind of dog food. Switching brands is hard on a dog's digestive system and can cause a lot of gastrointestinal distress. If they were to feed the dogs a wide variety of donated foods, the dogs could potentially be eating something different every meal.

Most vets recommend Science Diet. My dog eats Iams- it's good food and a little bit cheaper than science diet, but I also like it because I can purchase it just about any place that sells dog food. Unless things have changed, Science Diet can only be purchased at the vet.

Back to the article, though. This is a great cause and I appreciate Orschelin's participation. Hopefully, it will bring them some additional business, as well, making it a win-win for everyone.

macon47 4 years, 7 months ago

SMOKE AND MIRRORS AS USUAL THE HUMANE SOCIETY IS BUYING A BILL OF GOODS JUST BECAUSE IT IS EXPENSIVE DOESNT MAKE IT GOOD. WHAT MAKES IT EXPENSIVE IS THE MULTI MILLION DOLLAR ADVERTISING PLUS THE VETS ALL GET A CUT OF WHAT THEY SELL

4 years, 7 months ago

LarryNative (Anonymous) says… "Ask your vet, science diet is the best food on the market. "

Wrong. SD is not THE best food. Read the ingredient panel and see what the first 5 ingredients are, then decide if that is the best food for your best friend, a carnivore.

divingdiva 4 years, 7 months ago

Headdoctor -- it has nothing to do with "champagne tastes" when it comes to food for the shelter animals. They don't feed the grocery store crap food to their dogs and cats for a reason . . . it gives them loose stools and many times diarrhea, which in turn, causes their staff to spend way more time than necessary cleaning kennels. So they have every right to ask for quality food, especially since they run off a shoestring budget and are many times short-staffed anyway. And perhaps you should consider giving your own pets a better quality of food. Ever wonder why animals now have so much cancer and other health issues? I have no doubt it's the crud that goes into the low-end dog food. So don't bash our community's animal shelter for asking for higher quality food. That's exactly what they should be doing.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Usually when a shelter has a contract with a specific pet food company the pet food co. is supplying them with the food at a greatly reduced price, so it would make more sense for the shelter to ask for money so they could buy the S.D. themselves for cheap. Is S.D. not giving them a deal? I'm not buying any overpriced, junky pet food. Science Diet is actually not good quality food. Look at the ingredients. Mostly grains and by-products, very little actual meat. Totally inappropriate for cats especially.

If you want to donate to the shelter still look on their website and see what other supplies they need like paper towels, bowls, & such.

Steven Gaudreau 4 years, 7 months ago

Ask your vet, science diet is the best food on the market. All of my dogs were raised on SD and have all lived years beyond the average age of their breed. Cheap dog food does not deliver the nutrition dogs need, it is cheap filler.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

Science Diet supposedly fosters less volumeness,firmer, less aromatic,and easier to clean up fecal matter.

headdoctor 4 years, 7 months ago

Well then, I think the Lawrence Humane Society just shot themselves in foot, again. I have always been at odds with some of their policies and now I find out the food donated isn't being used for the intended purpose. It would have been nice to know this before. Once again an agency or a group that needs donations has champagne tastes with a beer pocket book. I don't buy the high dollar stuff for my animals and I sure am not going to buy it to give away. If you have an animal you can't afford to feed you have no business with the animal to begin with. There are a lot more expenses involves in animal ownership than just food.

alm77 4 years, 7 months ago

I do know that it's not always good (or easy) to switch around an animal's food. If they are getting a deal from Science Diet, that would be a good basis to choose that brand. Continuing to using the same throughout the year makes sense so that they are not constantly cleaning up after animals who have had their diets repeatedly changed.

kchuskerfan 4 years, 7 months ago

I've been told on pretty good authority that the Humane Society gets their food on a grant from the Science Diet folks and they are very appreciative of the relationship and do not want to risk offending them. That said, they absolutely want to continue their mission and assist animals and their owners so it is not inconsistant for them to pass along other foods donated to people that are in need of some assistance to provide for their animals in these economic times and all gifts are absolutely appreciated. No one should feel their gifts will not go to their intended targets. Aiding and providing to the care of animals that otherwise would be lacking food and shelter. I have donated Kibbles and Bits, ironically, that I'd bought from a silent auction from another Lawrence Charitible group. It's been well rec'd and just as deductible. I think dry food keeps better and Food for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs is a great idea!

jchristine2 4 years, 7 months ago

Its possible that the Humane Society has some sort of contract with Science Diet, although, I am not for sure. I know that Science Diet gave them some sort of grant pretty recently (if my memory serves me correctly) I am wondering if we don't bring in Science Diet, is there a certain type of food that the shelter goes through the quickest with donating to those who can't afford pet food? Do they need wet/dry cat or dog food? Food for rabbits, guinea pigs, etc? A little more information in the article about that would be helpful.

infidel 4 years, 7 months ago

I am the only person who wonders why Science Diet is the only dog food accepted there? I am aware that Kibbles and Bits are made only in Lawrence and are supposed to be a good quality dog food.