Archive for Thursday, October 29, 2009

Health Care Access Clinic hosting health fair for women without insurance

October 29, 2009

Health Care Access Clinic is hosting a health fair for women who are uninsured.

The third annual fair “You Deserve It” will be from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the clinic, 1920 Moodie Road.

The nonprofit organization will offer clinical breast exams to uninsured women through local volunteering physicians and nurses as well as health information from collaborative agencies.

There will be pampering activities, prizes and activities for children.

Women are encouraged to bring a friend or family member who may be without health care.

Comments

alm77 5 years, 6 months ago

" there are two species of humans". Really? Did I miss something?

chicklet 5 years, 6 months ago

really? you're talking about discrimination AGAINST MEN? really?? look at the premium amounts for the Kansas Health Insurance Association's high risk pool:

26 yo, nonsmoking male, $1500 deductible = $247.24 26 yo, nonsmoking FEMALE, $1500 ded. = $684.89

I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOU.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 6 months ago

complain all you want but if some woman walks in tom. and a lump is discoverd then this is a good thing. If they help just one person tom. that otherwise would not have been helped then I say the fair is worth it. May be discrimination I don't know I would say talk to who ever checks these things out make noise about the poor ethics and what ever else but remember one person helped is a good thing. And yes I hope they help every one that needs help and can not afford it else where, man and woman alike.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

Clinical Breast Examination

A clinical breast examination (CBE) is a physical examination of the breast done by a health professional. Clinical breast examinations are used along with mammograms to check women for breast cancer. Clinical breast examinations are also used to check for other breast problems.

Medical experts disagree about the need for regular clinical breast examinations. Some doctors recommend regular CBE. However, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) says that studies do not show support for or against regular CBE. Some studies show that mammogram tests alone reduce breast cancer deaths just as well as using mammograms and CBE.

A clinical breast examination may be part of your regular checkup. Talk with your health professional about how often you need a breast examination.

Breast implants do not change a woman's chance of getting breast cancer, so women with breast implants should also have regular clinical breast examinations. Why It Is Done

A clinical breast examination is done to:

* Find a lump or change in the breast that may mean a serious problem is present, such as breast cancer.
* Check other breast problems that may need more treatment, such as mastitis or a fibroadenoma.

How To Prepare

Tell your health professional if you:

* Have a new lump or change in your breasts. This includes a change in the way your nipples look or if you have any nipple discharge.
* Some women have nipples that sink into the breast, called inverted nipples. For these women, this is normal. But if you do not have inverted nipples and notice a change where your nipple becomes inverted, tell your doctor.
* Have pain in one breast, especially if the pain is not related to having your menstrual period.
* Are or might be pregnant.
* Are breast-feeding.
* Have breast implants.
* Have had a breast biopsy.
* Have completed menopause.
* Are taking hormone replacement therapy.
* Have a personal or family history of breast cancer.

You may want to have your examination 1 to 2 weeks after your menstrual period ends, if you are still menstruating; your breasts are less likely to be tender at that time.

Talk to your health professional about any concerns you have regarding the need for the test, its risks, how it will be done, or what the results may mean. To help you understand the importance of this test, fill out the medical test information form(What is a PDF document?) .

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

Thursday radio news provided a long discussion on women and medical insurance. Women seemed to be a "high risk" to insurance company profits.

Women pay more across the board. For co-pays,deductibles and premiums. Women can expect to pay as much as $1,000 more per year.

If women are tied to a husband policy it can be difficult to obtain coverage should divorce,death or whatever come upon the relationship.

One problem pregnancy can prohibit coverage for instance.

G_E 5 years, 6 months ago

"I assume women of child bearing age cost more because of the chance they will give birth."

Which is incredibly frustrating, I might add. Just because I'm able to have a baby doesn't mean I'm going to. Stop treating me like a potential baby oven, insurance companies - I hate being defined by my uterus (and I'm not exactly fond of babies, either).

denak 5 years, 6 months ago

I think at, one time or another, all doctors or nurses miss symptoms or dismiss a patient's concern. I am sure a lot of doctors have people come into their office and think they have whatever disease they saw the night before on House. I'm not saying that doctors shouldn't take a patient's concern seriously or that HCA dismissed her concerns. Only that it happens and once incident isn't indicative of the service one gets at HCA.

Three years ago, I was dianosed with sleep apnea. My life was a nightmare. I did not have insurance because my job did not have insurance for its employees. I went to HCA for an unrelated medical issue and while there I mentioned the sleep apnea diagnoses and the fact that I could not afford a CPAP. This remark lasted less than 10 seconds. Two days later, I get a call from Somnatech informing me that HCA has donated a CPAP. I got the CPAP that Friday. As those who have sleep apnea know, a CPAP is a goodsend. It literally means the difference between a life where you are mentally,emotionally and physically incapacitated and a life where you are able to function normally. Since then, I have heard of a number of people--both male and female-- who had CPAPs donated to them from HCA.

This clinic does a lot of good work. The only negative I have regarding HCA is that they have done away with their walk-in service and it takes a month to get an appointment. Heartland, which is also a good clinic, is able to get a person in within a few days. Something HCA can not do but I suspect the reason for that is that they serve more people.

As for the fair itself, HCA should host a men's fair but I am wondering just how many men would actually show up to have their prostate exam. I suspect the only men who will show up are the ones whose wives dragged them down to it. So, I think the fact that HCA only has a women's health fair is the fact that women, more than men, are more likely to show up and if HCA can only hold one fair, then it should be for the demographic that is more likely to show up.

Dena