Archive for Sunday, October 25, 2009

Officers from afar support fire dept.

October 25, 2009

Army Maj. Rodwell Gausi might be one of the few people around who can say he’s from a place hotter than Kansas.

But despite the colder climate, the Malawi native is warming up to the state.

“Kansas is a fine place,” he said.

Gausi was one of about 20 officers from Fort Leavenworth’s Department of Joint, Interagency and Multinational Operations at the Command and General Staff College who ran in the ninth annual Clinton Fire Department Auxiliary’s 5K Run and 1 Mile Fun Walk on Saturday at Clinton Lake. It was the second year the officers from Fort Leavenworth came to the event to support the fire department.

For Gausi and the other officers, the event offered an opportunity to get to know the area. “When you’re on campus, it’s kind of an island,” Gausi said.

Indiana native and Army Maj. Jim Cotter said he appreciated the opportunity to “get out and enjoy the community” after spending most of his time in Kansas on the military base with other officers.

Many of the officers come from other states, and they are spending the year at Fort Leavenworth as part of an educational program for military officers.

Marine Maj. Leland Olesen completed the run with his wife, Tammy, and said part of the program is helping the officers build connections with the community and improve their ability to interact with the media.

“Coming out (to events) just bridges the gap,” he said.

Having the officers at the event also gave a boost to the fundraiser for the Clinton Fire Department, said Dennis Snodgrass, assistant fire chief.

“We’re volunteers, but it’s nothing compared to them (the officers),” said Snodgrass. “We should be paying them. It’s impressive.”

About 50 runners competed, and Snodgrass said the officers’ support at the event will help them raise around $1,000 for the department.

And though many of the officers are thousands of miles from their hometowns, and may be in Kansas for only a short time, they’ve quickly embraced the idea of assisting the local community.

“I just want to help this fire department,” Gausi said.

Comments

soygonzo 4 years, 2 months ago

I just wanted to say thanks to many people who helped in completing the 5k today and their efforts. Also wanted to thanks the fire department of Clinton for the excellent job putting it together. Sorry for the late blog, but I still enjoy the run. MAJ Luis Gonzalez

OMarie 4 years, 5 months ago

I want to add my thanks to the Clinton Fire Department for hosting such a fantastic run. The location was great. The route was scenic. I know that they could not control the weather, but it could not have been a nicer day for a run.

I also want to thank LTC Masten for providing notice of this run to the members of CGSC Class 10-01. This run provided us an opportunity to see a different part of Kansas and meet some wonderful natives. It also provided us the chance to give back to our extended community now that we are living in Kansas for the year.

MAJ_Steve_Sumner 4 years, 5 months ago

The run was a great opportunity to meet people and support a good cause. As a soldier it was great to be included in the local scene. Thanks again.

MAJ_P_Madden 4 years, 5 months ago

I too would like to thank the organizers of the run. I had a great time and it is nice to get out and see the other areas of Kansas. Being a Kentucky native, this part of Kansas reminds me of home. Thanks to the CFD and good luck for next year!

MAJ_Robert_Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

I would like to send a heartfelt thanks to the Clinton Fire Department and the Clinton community for a wonderful opportunity to see a part of the state I would never have experienced. The setting, the weather, and the people made this a great day to spend with friends and family alike!

LelandJO 4 years, 6 months ago

This one is definitely a run to mark on the calendar again for next year. Great atmosphere and comradarie. Couldn't have picked a more perfect location for the run. Thanks to the CFD for putting this one on!

gecko0302 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks to the CFD for another fine 5k. Special thanks are also in order for the LWJ Staff for covering this event. Finally a shout out to all who like to run; the entire course is blocked off from traffic. The runners have the road all to themselves. This is a low stress run through a pleasant lakeside campground. Come out next year and join us.

MAJ_Mark_Johnson 4 years, 6 months ago

I would like to pass on my sincerest appreciation to the Clinton Fire Department for their service to the local community. My uncle was a volunteer fireman for my hometown and I know the dedication and sacrifice he displayed throughout his many years of service.

My wife, children and I all enjoyed the area and are planning a camping trip to the lake next spring.

Thank you for sponsoring the event.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

Don't pay any attention to Debby Downer, AKA mario. He's always that way.

MAJjoshuapaul 4 years, 6 months ago

Any chance I have to support true American heroes, is a chance I can't pass up. I want to say thank you to the Clinton Fire Dept for the opportunity to get out and get some exercise, and to support them in their mission to protect human lives and property.

The weather was perfect, the run was beautiful, the company was pleasant. A great day to be an American, a first responder, and a public servant.

Major Joshua Paul, RN, BSN Army Nurse Corps

LTC_Randy_Masten 4 years, 6 months ago

It was a great day for a run and a real pleasure to meet members of the Clinton Fire Department and people from the local community. The course was beautiful. I recommend next year's run to all the Lawrence area runners!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

I'll tell you why......

The City of Lawrence, Kansas is broke.

Most of the Townships are broke.

Counties are broke.

It is time for individuals to come together in a form of "shadow government" because elected "officials" are indeed and in fact, powerless.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

Why is there a need for outsiders to support the Fire Department?

You folks need to hit up your so-called "Commisioners".