Archive for Sunday, October 25, 2009

KU student on bike hit by car

Student declines medical attention

October 25, 2009

A 20-year-old Kansas University student was hit by a four-door BMW car as he rode his bicycle across Sixth Street on Saturday evening. Emergency crews responded to the accident about 7:20 p.m.

The victim said he was attempting to cross to the south side of Sixth Street where it intersects with Indiana Street when he was struck by the eastbound vehicle. He suffered an abrasion on his forehead and an injury to his leg, but declined medical attention. He also said he lost a shoe and his glasses during the accident.

No arrests were made at the scene.

Comments

Mike Wagner 5 years, 1 month ago

Did the bike or person On the bike have any lights? When the old man pedestrian got hit on 6th he received a ticket for not using a crosswalk, where do bikes have to cross? Can they cross anywhere at anytime? Keep in mind I ride bicycles in this town, I just think it's time we all start taking responsibility for our driving (on bikes & in cars)!

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

Seamus, I don't think bigmike was heaping blame on the cyclist. He points out that he rides a bike in Lawrence, and he asked some legitimate questions.

I ride my bike most places I need to go in Lawrence, and I'll attest that the majority of people I see on bicycles do not have lights at night, do not follow the laws of the road very well, and do not even wear helmets.

Then again, most people I see driving their cars in Lawrence do not follow the laws of the road very well either.

The "us vs. them" mentality is what needs to go. Like it or not, we're all in this together.

50YearResident 5 years, 1 month ago

Why do we always "Assume" the driver of the car is at fault?

LogicMan 5 years, 1 month ago

Is there a stop-light at Indiana? If not, then it seems that the bicyclist is at fault (failure to yield the right of way). If so, hope he has general liability insurance somehow since he's responsible for expensive repairs to the car. Also hope he heals quickly.

tomatogrower 5 years, 1 month ago

A biker (Harley) rider friend once offered this advice about safe riding. I think it applies to bicycles too. "Ride as if every car is out to get you."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

"Is there a stop-light at Indiana?"

No, and whether on foot, on a bike or in a car, that intersection is nearly impossible to cross or make a left turn onto 6th for much of the day.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

The most dangerous cyclists on the road almost all fit into one of two categories--

1. People who lack the capacity to get and keep a driver's license-- as scary as they are on a bike, thank gawd they are on a bicycle.

2. People who are primarily car drivers who see their bikes as toys, and ride accordingly.

Jimo 5 years, 1 month ago

"has there ever been a case where a cyclist killed a motorist because he ignored a traffic law? "

There are quite a few cases where motorists attempt to avoid hitting negligent cyclists and end up hitting other motorists, bystanders, and fixed objects - any of which can kill.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

Seamus, has a cyclist ever contributed to his/her own death by not obeying traffic laws? Or are cyclists infallible? I ride my bike almost everywhere in this town -- in fact, I put more miles on my bike than on my car -- but I know I'm not perfect.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I suspect that you and I probably agree that the roads need to be safer for cyclists. I would love it if I could ride my bike on the streets of Lawrence with the same "not a care in the world" attitude I see in so many automobile drivers, but I can't. As a cyclist, I need to be infinitely more aware of my surroundings than anyone else on the road.

Seriously, I respect your opinion and think we agree on most cycling-related issues. I just wish you would see that your commentary comes across as the 180-degree opposite of the "Lazy Motorist Brigade" you so decry, and that doesn't do any good in the scheme of the larger conversation. We won't fix anything if we just complain about cars.

You are obviously passionate on the issue, but neither end of the spectrum gets us any closer to a solution that makes these roads safer for humans. The only way to make the roads safer is if both sides find middle ground.

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 1 month ago

it is amazing that a community so proud of its public transportation would have so much spite for cyclists. We love giant polluting empty buses enough to subsidize them because they are "green" but we hate people people who are TRULY making a difference and costing the taxpayer nothing in return? Wow. Hypocrisyville, USA, Exit 202.

tomatogrower 5 years, 1 month ago

I used to ride a bicycle everywhere when I lived in a small town. I even tried it soon after I moved here 20 years ago, but it was too scary. I was in great shape when I rode. I wish I wasn't so chicken now. I even followed the rules. Hand turn signals, didn't jump from street to sidewalk with no notice. I even stopped at stop signs, but that just seemed to anger drivers even more. It was as much the rude drivers as anything that changed my mind about riding.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

The only sentence I disagree with: "But after years and thousands of miles riding and walking I've come to conclude that most motorists are clueless morons." I think it's slightly under 50%, which technically I cannot classify as "most".

However, I still think that merely complaining about cars and their drivers misses the point. You are correct that we are in a car-centric society...given that we KNOW this, how do we co-exist? Either-or, us vs. them, cars are bad and bikes are good is not a realistic way to approach the problem. You know this, man.

richh 5 years, 1 month ago

When I worked on night shift and go home at midnight, I have see so many time, many bikers do ride their bikes by the street everywhere in Lawrence during late night. I don't know why they don't use the light and not wear light color clothes for people can't see them, then bad accident...

Last month, I see one pretty lady rode on her bike around 11 pm, no bike light, no helmet and her clothes were dark color as you can't see her. I parked by Dillion's on 23rd. She stopped by. I asked her, need to lift you home. She say YES. I think she learned her lesson as should not ride bike at night. I bring her and her bike in my truck to KU dorm campus and she say "Thank you and you are sweet guy!"

I have see some driver get charge for hit the biker during the night, but my point is, look at the bike, do it have light? What person wear clothes? dark color? helmet? Think safe! The driver should not charge, because they can't see the biker at night!

notjustastudent 5 years, 1 month ago

If I "read between the lines" this is what I get-

A bicycle on the north side of a 5 lane road begins to cross. A car that is at least 3, if not 4 lanes away ends up hitting them. There are a few possibilities-

1) The bicycle is super, super fast, the car didn't see them coming, and couldn't stop in time to avoid them

2) The car didn't see them because the numerous streetlights were out and it was dark, so they couldn't stop in time

3) The car saw the bicycle and didn't bother to slow down at all, the bicylce had to slow suddenly to avoid a pothole or something else they didn't see when they began crossing OR they didn't move as fast as the car thought they would, and the car hit them

I think it comes down to decisions they both made, though I dont pretend to know exactly what those decisions were. Bicycle should probably have crossed with a stoplight for their own good, but legally, if a car is allowed to do it, a bike can too. They don't need a crosswalk because cars do not need crosswalks. The car should have been paying a bit more attention, especially on Sixth in the dark, for their own good. Had something more serious happened, even if it wasn't their fault, I doubt they wouldn't have been affected by it at all.

So basically, if everyone on the road pays a little more attention, everyone will be a little better off.

gsxr600 5 years, 1 month ago

Just go up to KU for a day and witness all the moronic riding by cyclists. Remember last year when they implemented stop signs at campus entrances? Most bicyclists blew through them so the police started issuing tickets. Bicyclists weave in and out of lanes as they pass buses and blow through intersections and crosswalks. If I could only throw a stick in their wheel....

costello 5 years, 1 month ago

"Last month, I see one pretty lady rode on her bike around 11 pm, no bike light, no helmet and her clothes were dark color as you can't see her. I parked by Dillion's on 23rd. She stopped by. I asked her, need to lift you home. She say YES. I think she learned her lesson as should not ride bike at night. I bring her and her bike in my truck to KU dorm campus and she say 'Thank you and you are sweet guy!'”

Good heavens! If there's anything more dangerous than riding a bike at night with no lights and helmet and wearing dark clothing, it may be accepting a ride with a stranger.

notjustastudent 5 years, 1 month ago

Being a KU student on 2 wheels, I agree 100 % with Pogo and gsxr600. It's those cyclist that not only annoy the crap out of me, but paint the rest in a bad light. But that's what people need to remember- just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean everybody does. I know a lot of people who drive cars roll through stop signs, don't signal, turn in front of pedestrians in crosswalks, drive drunk, and generally drive like idiots, but I know that not everyone does. This is where personal responsibility comes in. I learned defensive driving in high school, and I apply it to any time I'm on the road.

GodsChild22 5 years, 1 month ago

You guys are so fair on this blog, but so unfair about the hit and run accident. I am not making excuses whatsoever about the person driving the car driving away. That was completely wrong, but if you read the articles, it as well said no disrespect to anyone that she as well had no reflectors or light clothes on. My prayers do go out to the family, but the passengers in the car didn't have control of the situation either, yet everyone was so mean and do not give the chance for anyone to explain anything. I do remember about a month ago or two, KU students arguing the fact that there are not enough street lights on these back streets and it is not safe. Maybe these two situations will make them think because people cannot see bicyclists and bicycles need reflectors no matter what. Its just obvious safety.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

Jimo (Anonymous) says… Reading between the lines of this article it is clear that the headline is inaccurate and should state clearly: Car hit by KU student on bicycle.

That's just blatantly inflammatory, not to mention wrong. There's absolutely nothing in the article to even suggest that the cyclist hit the vehicle. If you're going to tell us to "read between the lines," perhaps you can tell everyone how you arrived at your ridiculously biased conclusion.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

the lack of lighting didn't cause a drunk driver to leave Rachel alone to die without assistance. and, he and the two wenches in the car knew they'd hit her, given the damage to the car.
so, Godschild, you one of the low-life wenches that was in the car?

Costello, I had the same reaction. RichH was apparently quite helpful by his story and that's good. if he had his wife in the truck with him, perhaps a little less risky for the "pretty lady."

also, I am just inferring, but I think by the use of English, that RichH might be chinese/asian...maybe.

RichH, glad you helped and I hope "pretty lady" did learn. however, taking a ride from a stranger is dangerous for women, or well for anybody.

Chocoholic 5 years, 1 month ago

While you're watching out for both savvy and less-than-savvy bicyclists, here's another one to watch out for from the "Just So You Know He's Out There" department.

About 3 weeks ago my 11yo and I were southbound and stopped at the 19th & Iowa stoplight at about 9:00pm. We noticed a guy (college-age or older) standing at the curb on the southwest corner holding a skateboard. I didn't pay much attention at first, thinking he was going to head for the nearby sidewalk.

Apparently, that wasn't "X-games" enough for this guy. The next thing I knew, he took off on his skateboard from the corner and got into the southbound left lane. And it's not as though there was no traffic to speak of, there were about 5-6 cars headed south between 19th & 21st Sts. and a number lined up at the light waiting to go. My 11yo and I watched him flying down the hill along with the traffic, car brake lights flashing as they either caught sight of him or darn near plowed him. Did I mention it was dark outside?

A second later the light changed, and we started moving south ourselves. That allowed us to watch him gracefully execute the turn onto 21st St. and continue on his way (thankfully).

Maybe he's lost both his motor vehicle license and his bicycle license?

I guess the moral of the story is just to always expect the unexpected. Unfortunately, you can't always clearly see the unexpected coming at you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

beerguy--if I could, I'd get rid of all my vehicles tomorrow, and walk and bike everywhere.

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

Jeez!Quit arguing and trying to prove your point! We should all learn to share the road and be more observant of the others who may be using it also.Bottom line!

Chocoholic 5 years, 1 month ago

gnome, didn't you get the little paper bicycle license in grade school on bicycle safety day? Apparently my little attempt at humor was littler than I thought. :)