Archive for Friday, October 23, 2009

Lawrence woman a victim of ‘honest thief’

An 82-year-old Lawrence woman had her purse stolen and returned to her Friday. The purse was missing $100 cash, but everything else was in place.

October 23, 2009

When Lois Liebert, 82, had her purse stolen Thursday afternoon in the parking lot at Wal-Mart, 3300 Iowa, she went home and started the extensive process of canceling credit cards and making other arrangements.

But before she completed that process, she discovered her purse sitting outside her door. Her billfold was inside with her driver’s license and credit cards. The only thing missing was $100 in cash.

“The whole thing didn’t cover more than 30 minutes,” Liebert said.

Liebert had taken a 92-year-old friend shopping and parked in a handicap spot outside the door. After Liebert unloaded her purchases from a cart into her car and then took the car to the door to pick up her friend, she realized she didn’t have her purse.

She drove back to the spot where she left her cart in the parking lot, but her purse was gone.

But shortly after Liebert returned home, the thief had apparently found her address on her driver’s license and returned it.

“It’s a bummer, but I’m tickled to death that I don’t have to go through the rest of the mess,” she said.

She won’t have to get a new driver’s license and other cards. She had canceled one card but already received a new one on Friday.

“It all turned out well, and I call him my honest thief,” Liebert said.

Comments

Danimal 5 years, 9 months ago

Maybe they're not a thief, just someone that charges a $100 fee to return lost purses.

Ignorant_Yokel 5 years, 9 months ago

The $100 was thereafter splurged on baby clothes, beef jerky, a Twilight poster, and the complete DVD set of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

GardenMomma 5 years, 9 months ago

She should be watching credit card and bank statements for any suspicious activity. The thief could still have written down account numbers and the code off the back of the card.

And now the thief knows where she lives. I'd still be worried if I were her.

ihatehaters 5 years, 9 months ago

I hate that someone took her purse but it is a real hassle to cancel everything so I think it was kind of nice the theif returned it. Are we sure that there was a $100 cash in the purse? Somebody did forget where her purse was perhaps she forgot the purchases at walmart were paid for with the $100 and someone honestly returned her purse and is now being called a theif.

torcia 5 years, 9 months ago

I dont consider that guy a thief. If granny wouldn't leave her crap everywhere this guy wouldn't have had to go out of his way to get it back to her. He was nice to return the purse and save her the trouble of getting a new ID etc. $100 well spent I think.

I found a guys planner in a bathroom once with his id, checkbook, credit cards, and over 400 cash. I found his number in his planner and waited 30 mins for him to meet me. The jerk didn't even give me a 20 for my trouble. Learned my lesson.

lisabeth2002 5 years, 9 months ago

GardenMomma, I was thinking the same thing. What part about the thief bringing her belongings back to her makes them honest?? If my credit cards were in the hands of somebody who took my purse and cash, I would most certainly still go through with the process of cancelling ALL the cards. All you need is the number on the card, the security number listed on the back of the card, and the billing address (most likely the same as her home address) to purchase something online. Hopefully this isn't the case, but if it were me I would still go through with the precautions.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 9 months ago

The journalist should contact her and inform her that she should still replace all of her cards and consider notifying the credit reporting agencies.

Satirical 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree with ihatehaters

Sure...$100....I believe you....

Jodi_B 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Danimal. I just got the soda I spit everywhere cleaned off of my keyboard.

ferrislives 5 years, 9 months ago

Danimal, you just gave me a good laugh. Very clever;-)

TGIF

ksjayhawk74 5 years, 9 months ago

Yea, it sounds like a good samaritan who returned an old lady's purse is getting accused of being a thief with no evidence there was any theft.

I've found backpacks and purses before and returned them to the owner. Who knows what happened to the items before I found and returned them.

If the person did steal the money, why would the even bother to return the purse?

Besides, this kind of a "Dog Bites Man" story anyway.

Satirical 5 years, 9 months ago

I think we have found the thief (pointing to Danimal)!!

: )

kulinebacker 5 years, 9 months ago

my dad found a purse at a king soopers parking lot...looked inside and found $1500 in cash. the funny thing is, it belonged to my dingbat cousin. some people need to be safe with their belongings.

inglec 5 years, 9 months ago

If this was good samaritan why would you not notify the police along with the owner and let them know you turned in the purse to the police. I agree she should still cancel all credit cards along with notifying her bank.Better to be safe then sorry!

maxcrabb 5 years, 9 months ago

I was 12 years old, standing in line at the convenience store to purchase an Icee. I notice a crisp $100 fall out of the wallet of the man in front of me, while he is paying for his items. I pick it up, tap him on the back and say, "Excuse me sir, you dropped this." He takes the bill, puts it in his wallet, stares at the rest of the cash, considers his options, looks at this young kid who resisted keeping the money for himself and instead did the right thing returning the cash to it's owner, and...

says "Thanks!" and heads right out the door.

I learned my lesson. I'll just leave it on the ground next time. /sarcasm

motomom 5 years, 9 months ago

our house was robbed one time and they cleaned us out. those guys even had a bowl of breyers ice cream before they scrammed. in my mom's room, they stole all of her jewelry..BUT...took out the three cross necklaces she had in her jewelry box. they laid them out all nice and straight......we still talk about those crazy robbers who didn't wanna go to hell......... heehee!

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 9 months ago

I had the very same thing happen to me as this elderly woman. However, the person did not return anything. I had 80 bucks and absolutely no activity on my cards. It took 12 hrs. to get everything cancelled too. Such a hassle to get them all replaced. I just wish they would have turned in the wallet and kept the money.

Jay_lo 5 years, 9 months ago

We had an honest person guard a purse for us in a store once when we pushed the wrong cart away from a circular rack. We had just started shopping and so the purse was the only thing in the cart. We had left it on one side of the rack as we worked our way around. Our cart, purse and person were waiting for us when we returned a few minutes later when we realized it wasn't in the cart we had. We thanked her and felt lucky that we had noticed the missing purse so quickly.

It wasn't too many days before we received a call from one of our credit card companies questioning the purchase of large quantities of fuel in California. In all there turned out to be over $750 in fraudulent charges on the card even though we had it in our possession.

I now believe the honest person moved our cart ahead and placed an empty one behind it. When we moved off, they copied our credit card info and then acted innocent and helpful when we returned so that we never suspected a thing.

At the very least, she should contact all her credit card companies and inform them that her cards were out of her possession for a period of time long enough for the account information to be compromised.

Clare Galloway 5 years, 9 months ago

years ago i was at walmart (the old one on 27th& Iowa) and had left my wallet in the shopping cart--mind you i am not old nor a granny-just had 2 screaming babies to get out of the store-and got home and some man called me and said his son about 12 years old found my wallet, it had over 2 hundred dollars in it, at that point i had not even realized my wallet was missing, and they promptly brought it back to me and i did give the son a reward wich he was suprised but that made me know that there are still good honest people left in the world--But--year or so before it was christmas time and i was at Gibsons and again left my wallet on the checkout stand turned right around as i got in the parking lot and went back in to get it and the young boy at the register said he didnt see it but after a minute another employee said she had it-well it was missing about 50 dollars--moral-i always check where my wallet is now!!

Shelbyrules 5 years, 9 months ago

We are not on this earth to take things that are not our own. If you find it and it is not yours, give it back.

rlmtyco 5 years, 9 months ago

I would pay $100 not to have to go through the hassle of getting all new cards and all that, its a pain in the butt

EarthaKitt 5 years, 9 months ago

Really you guys? I'm no pollyanna, but isn't it rewarding enough to have the satisfaction that you've helped someone out? My wallet was stolen in Topeka more than 10 years ago, and I still agonize over losing the photos I had been carrying.

I once discovered that I'd acidentally left my car unlocked in front of my house all night. When I checked my belongings (CDs, sunglasses, books, stereo, etc.) all that was missing was my toll change. I was so happy I almost wanted to leave a thank you note taped to my windows for a few days. KEEP THE CHANGE!!