Archive for Friday, October 23, 2009

KU student arrested after climbing through window, into bed with woman

October 23, 2009

A 20-year-old KU student was arrested Friday morning after climbing through his neighbor's window and getting into bed with her.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, police responded about 2 a.m. to a call from the 1100 block of Tennessee Street that a burglary had occurred. Bordman said the 24-year-old Lawrence woman had awakened to find the man, whom she knew, in bed next to her. She inquired as to why he was there and told him to leave. The woman then contacted a male roommate and the two escorted the man out.

The man was arrested about 2:40 a.m. and is being charged with aggravated burglary and sexual battery. Bordman said police contacted and arrested the man without incident.

The woman was not harmed during the incident.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 10 months ago

Okay now, this is kinda funny. I mean.......did anything happen between the 3 of them?

kulinebacker 5 years, 10 months ago

sexual battery? yet she was not harmed? I'm having mixed feelings about this article. (just a tad comical...guy was prolly drunk...let the speculation begin)

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 10 months ago

we live in a really respectful town. In what other city in America would the man have been "escorted" from the home after breaking and entering and potentially attempted sexual assault? It sounds so gentle and kind.

emptymind 5 years, 10 months ago

That is lame.....why escort him home and then call the cops. Did they have something to stash away before the cops came....fishy indeed

Jason Bailey 5 years, 10 months ago

This happens to me nearly every day. Thought it was just natural...

fallingwhilereading 5 years, 10 months ago

Another crime committed by a KU student. Where are the idiots that usually write about the homeless causing all the crime? How about instead of get rid of the homeless we get rid if the students who cause most of the crimes in Lawrence?

XEPCT 5 years, 10 months ago

emptymind, I bet they called the cops while they were escorting him out.

Glenda Breese 5 years, 10 months ago

tumbilweed.This is for you.Are you complaining about complaining?Maybe you should not blog.

puddleglum 5 years, 10 months ago

no way he was drunk. he was prolly just looking for the new shelter

Tim Quest 5 years, 10 months ago

Hey, oldenough - commenting on an article is not "blogging."

Crazy old coots. I liked the internet better before every unemployed crazy person had access to it.

alamohawk 5 years, 10 months ago

WHO SLEEPS WITH THEIR WINDOWS UNLOCKED?

somebodynew 5 years, 10 months ago

No sierraclub they are not the same person. Believe it or not there are actually more than one "cut and paste" idiot out there.

slang4d 5 years, 10 months ago

Eek, what would have happened if she didn't have roommates? Was alcohol involved? These articles bring up far too many questions and I think that's why people have a strong desire to comment. We would like to think we live in a safe city but the potentially alcohol-related crimes are just racking up.

Do bartenders refuse to serve inebriated patrons? Do the police patrol downtown on foot to watch for bad behavior or people getting into their cars who have no business being in one? How often do we see arrests for just plain old public drunkenness (answer is rarely). Is there any education or program on campus regarding binge drinking and alcoholism? Is saferide well publicized? There are ways to curb all of this, our city leaders just choose to ignore the problem.

Mike Hoffmann 5 years, 10 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

There's only room for one "OldEnough" in this town. My trademark is being infringed upon (ala "Joe College"). I'm suing!

"Okay now, this is kinda funny. I mean…….did anything happen between the 3 of them?"

I don't think it's funny at all. I probably would have knocked him out before turning on the lights to see who it was.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 10 months ago

Good thing the cops were brought in. If not quelched, this kind of behavior evolves until you have serial rapist.

monkey_c 5 years, 10 months ago

Hee hee, back in 1996 my boyfriend (drunk) scaled the side of my apartment building in Lawrence and wanted to be let in the patio door. My roomie did NOT see the humor in this. We were only roomates for about another month but my hubby and I have been married for almost 12 years! Oh so Romeo and Julliette (drunk Kansas College student version) I know it's quite different than what happened here. But it reminds me of that. He wasn't even really my "boyfriend" yet at that point we had just dated a little. What can I say, I guess I like 'em crazy!!!

TriSigmaKS 5 years, 10 months ago

There is NO humor in this situation. If the man had done more I'm sure none of you would be joking about this situation. It's extremely disturbing and disgusting.

missmagoo 5 years, 10 months ago

i hate to see how sexual battery was committed here. i mean, he left the residence and she wasn't hurt. hopefully no one is stupid enough to prosecute this kid.

someguy 5 years, 10 months ago

Here is the definition of sexual battery in Kansas:

21-3517. Sexual battery. (a) Sexual battery is the intentional touching of the person of another who is 16 or more years of age, who is not the spouse of the offender and who does not consent thereto, with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another. (b) Sexual battery is a class A person misdemeanor. (c) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas criminal code.

Glenda Breese 5 years, 10 months ago

This is blogging at it"s best and worst. > Hey old enough2beyerdad,next time I need a screen name I will be sure and check with you first,,,,,(not) : )

monkey_c 5 years, 10 months ago

Miss Magoo, I'm with you. This guy could end up having to register as a sexual offender and that would be a shame. Yes, it is disturbing. I'm not sure I would agree that it is disgusting.

Frightwig 5 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, kiddo. You now have a good chance of being labeled a sex offender for the rest of your life.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 10 months ago

notyourmom 5 years, 10 months ago

How is it NOT a sex crime to crawl into bed with a sleeping woman, who is not your girlfriend or wife, and the residence you are doing it in is not yours? Does someone have to actually injure a woman to be considered a threat? This doesn't sound to me like a drunken college student going to the wrong apartment and crawling into bed. To me this article reads more like this was a young man who was crushing on his neighbor, and he got drunk and acted terribly inappropriately. This article blesses us my not telling us where his hands were when the young lady woke up. Thank goodness for her wits and her roommate.

KU_cynic 5 years, 10 months ago

I understand the policy for not revealing the names of the accused in sex crimes; the social cost of false accusation are very high, and the evidentiary burden to prove guilt can be high when it is "he said versus she said".

But cases like this are different. The accused broke and entered a private home, and it seems unlikely that the DA will attempt to prosecute for a sex crime. If he had merely broke and entered then the LJW would print his name. I see no reason not to do so in this case.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 10 months ago

Those who assume the DA will not prosecute this as a sex crime should understand that Sexual Battery is a MISDEMEANOR, whereas Aggravated Burglary is a FELONY. The DA might accept a plea deal if the dolt pleads to the SexBat charge and gets listed as a registered offender, but perhaps we should wait and let the DA make his decision based on all the evidence collected by the Police, not based on what's in the LJW....huh?

Brandon Devlin 5 years, 10 months ago

Right, now stop it. This has just gotten silly. Started off well enough as a nice little story about drunken students sneaking through windows, but now it's just become silly.

Sorry. . .it's Friday, and I've had a week of nothing but Monty Python.

somedude20 5 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like Robert Downey Jr is in town. Back on the good stuff I see.

Why cant snowmen have children? Snowballs

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

"You now have a good chance of being labeled a sex offender for the rest of your life."

Yeah, he really needs an attorney. Big time.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

"How about instead of get rid of the homeless we get rid if the students who cause most of the crimes in Lawrence?"

Because if no students = no Lawrence. Without the college, this town doesn't exist.

"There is NO humor in this situation. If the man had done more I'm sure none of you would be joking about this situation."

If he had killed her, we'd be calling him a murderer. Since he didn't do any of that sort of thing, or apparently show any inclination to do so, there's no reason to over-react.

/aside from being on the ljworld forum, of course.

KansasPerson 5 years, 10 months ago

"She inquired as to why he was there and told him to leave." That sounds so calm. :)

kmat 5 years, 10 months ago

missmagoo and monkey_c - How can you say that you hope he isn't prosecuted and act like he didn't really do anything wrong? The jerk illegally entered a residence, crawled in bed with an unwilling person and touched her (we don't know just how or where he touched her).

So, you ok with someone breaking into your home and sexually touching you without your permission? He's lucky she didn't take a bat upside his head and cause him more harm than he's going to face through the legal system.

Sickens me how some think that it's ok to break into a home and do this. As long as the woman wasn't raped you think he shouldn't be punished. Good god!

1029 5 years, 10 months ago

Could of been sleepwalking, right? (yesterday, I was bouncing through the lj-w's "more like this" links and read about the guy who was apparently sleepwalking when he fell out his dorm room window and died)

A few years back I knew a guy with epilepsy. For him, most seizures were episodes where he'd go into a trance-like state and all of a sudden forget where he was or what he was doing. He used to go hang out late at night at downtown coffee shops. Apparently one night he was on his way home when he had a seizure. Instead of walking to his apartment, he walked to the apartment complex he had lived at the previous year. But instead of trying to open the door of his old apartment, he apparently walked into some apartment on the opposite side of the building. It was a multi-level unit and he walked right inside, up the stairs, and sat down on some girl's couch. The residents were just sitting there in the room watching TV and I guess one of them just looked over at the guy and asked him what he was doing. At that point, he "came to" and jumped up all embarrassed, apologized profusely, and left. He said he had no idea where he was at that moment, no recollection of walking to that apartment complex, why he went into that particular unit, etc.

I'm not trying to defend the guy who climbed in the window, or suggest that he was epileptic. This article just made me think of this guy I knew. (It also made me think of another guy I knew several years ago who got drunk, left a party abruptly, and we found out the next day that he had driven over to this girl's house and climbed through her window and into her bed. She woke up and made him leave. Supposedly he had no recollection of driving to her house and climbing into her bed. We asked him the next day where he went and he said he didn't remember. The story came from the girl a few days later.)

Steve Miller 5 years, 10 months ago

Dide have a ladder to get up to the window..

Frederic Gutknecht IV 5 years, 10 months ago

WHAT?!!! This is frightening. If you wake up with a dude in your bed, you CERTAINLY have a right to treat him like a criminal. He is. He can view it as bad judgment. We can view it as quite a serious crime. Let it play out. He made his bed, now he will lie in it.

jspawk 5 years, 10 months ago

Damn Morningstar....just stay home!!!

monkey_c 5 years, 10 months ago

KMAT - How can you say that you hope he isn't prosecuted and act like he didn't really do anything wrong? I didn't say that I hope he isn't prosecuted. Based on the information in this story I don't think he should have to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life. Why? because I take that registry seriously. I would like to think that it is a useful tool to be used to protect our families against rapists, pediphiles and molesters. This story is too vague to know the first thing about the motivation and how and why he got there. No doubt he made some bad choices and behaved very badly. But there are explanations other than the worst possible presumption. Part of my view does have to do with the reaction of the victim...she asked him what he was doing there. If he had been doing what some have suggested she wouldn't have needed to ask that question. She would have known and flipped out! So please don't say I don't want him prosecuted as if I think it is A-OK to crawl in bed unannounced with your neighbor. That is not the case, I just don't think he should be tarred and feathered and labeled a preditor based on the information we have here.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 10 months ago

Dang, I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it. The wording "inquired as to why he was there" and "the two escorted him out", made me laugh so hard I snorted my decaf. All kidding aside, I am glad the woman was not raped, and that no one was hurt. Guess that's the only reason the wording is funny. I'm also reminded of a funny story. Worked as a CNA in the '80's. One of our residents was a 101 yr. old woman. Late one evening, she summoned myself and our charge nurse to her room. She requested a peanut butter and onion sandwich. She also stated there was a man in her bed. I started to do the "reality orientation" thing, saying, "So and so, I don't see a man here." My charge nurse lovingly corrected me, saying, "Please, if she's 101 and thinks there is a man in her bed, don't spoil it for her!" LOL.

Lacy Mohler 5 years, 10 months ago

The wording makes me think of reports ,maybe 30 years ago, about a murder in Oskaloosa. This guy murdered a woman and then dragged her body down the street looking for a place to dump it. The news articles stated that witnesses were calling law enforcement reporting a "partially nude body" being dragged down the street. It turned out all she had on was a pair of socks. Sometimes details get lost in the translation.