Archive for Friday, October 23, 2009

Woman taken to Topeka hospital after hitting deer on SLT

A Topeka woman was in serious condition Friday night after she hit a deer while driving Friday morning. The woman was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the vehicle when it rolled.

October 23, 2009, 7:13 a.m. Updated October 23, 2009, 5:57 p.m.

A 27-year-old Topeka woman was listed in serious condition at a Topeka hospital Friday night after a rollover accident about one mile west of Lawrence.

According to a Kansas Highway Patrol accident report, Dawnette Meinert was driving a Chevrolet sport utility vehicle south on the South Lawrence Trafficway, which is also Kansas Highway 10, when she swerved to miss a deer lying in the roadway. The vehicle hit the deer, went into a ditch and rolled several times.

The driver, who was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle.

The accident occurred at 6:50 a.m. Friday just south of K-10’s intersection with U.S. Highway 40. The woman was transported by ambulance to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka.

Comments

puddleglum 5 years, 2 months ago

wondered what all that hubbub was about

gsxr600 5 years, 2 months ago

Every comment containing a LifeFlight reference by you is get incredibly old. No one cares. You might want to find something new to complain about...

In before "This is just another instance of why the SLT is soooo dangerous. When it was thought out, they should have accounted for the deer population and made deer walkways over the highway so deer can have a safe way across the road..."

Peaty Romano 5 years, 2 months ago

I drove by the scene just as the police were showing up, I didn't see an ambulance yet. The car was still smoldering from the impact, it was facing south bound. The front was damaged pretty bad. I could see one person on the ground on the side of the road wrapped in a blanket. Two people, I assume were passers by that were kind enough to stop and help, were standing over the person talking to them I think. I didn't realize they hit a dear till I traveled further up the road. It looked like the situation was under control for the most part. I'm hoping the person is OK.

mommy04 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow I sure hope this person isn't anyone you know roger...heartless and ignorant!!

Randall Barnes 5 years, 2 months ago

I SURE HOPE ROGER HAS HEALTH INSURANCE AND IS MADE OF STEEL SO GOD FORBID ANYTHING SERIOUS HAPPENS TO HIM

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

In some places in Canada they have wildlife crossings to help prevent vehicle-animal collisions.

Jodi_B 5 years, 2 months ago

23 October 2009 at 11:29 a.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink sierraclub (Anonymous) says…

A bicycle rider pays tax on a bicycle, helmet, and the clothes that they were. They never pay tax on a rode. Gas and diesel tax pay for the rode. So, a deer and a bicycle rider pay the same amount of tax. And they both have about the same amount of a brain when a car approaches.

Um, Speaking of brains... road v. rode... look it up.

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

Not to mention that the gas tax doesn't pay for even half the road budget. The rest comes from the general fund, so instead of car drivers subisdizing bicyclists, everyone subsidizes car drivers.

Steve Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

"Rode" lets us it in a sentence: I rode the bycycle out in front of the concrete truck. "Road" . I drove the bycycle down the middle of the "road".

starkm 5 years, 2 months ago

parrothead8 5 years, 2 months ago

Give it up, sierraclub. Your bicycle argument is porous at best. As a cyclist who owns a car and pays all sorts of taxes and fees to own and operate that car, I can tell you that I pay for the roads. As a cyclist who owns property and pays property taxes, I can tell you that I pay for the roads. As a cyclist who buys stuff and pays sales tax, I can tell you that I pay for the roads. As a cyclist who has a job and pays income tax, I can tell you that I pay for the roads.

As a cyclist who sometimes rides my bike instead of driving my car, I use the roads less, causing less wear and tear to them and emitting less pollution...so the fact that you think I don't pay enough to use the roads? Man, you are SO wrong.

Now, let's hope this woman is okay. The roads around here have taken quite a toll on humans lately.

Angie Dick 5 years, 2 months ago

How can everyone be so heartless. at 6:50 in the morning it's still dark. Going 65 mph, it probably was hard to see it in the road. Not only that, u don't expect it to be laying there, u are looking from side to side waiting for one to jump out.. I hope the lady is ok.. That's horrible.

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

What does one do if you come upon a deer lying in the road, swerve or plow through? Hope I never have to make that split second decision.

Why don't they put deer repellant along the shoulders of roads?

redmoonrising 5 years, 2 months ago

As to taxes, how can you be so sure they don't pay taxes? Of course we all pay sales tax. And if we own a home we pay property taxes. Even if we rent, we pay property taxes. No landlord is stupid enough not to include them in the rent, is he/she? Some cyclists might even own cars for which they pay personal property and gas taxes. Oh. and don't overlook state and federal income taxes. We all pay taxes so that comment has no merit. As to the rest of us who went to KU, well, I might make some typos now and then, but I can spell. Heck, I could spell even before I went to KU. So why does everyone have to find someone else to blame for their own shortcomings? Ah that this were a perfect world where we all could be right all the time.

grimpeur 5 years, 2 months ago

sierraclub, you're a punk and an ignoramus. Don't ever come in here with your weak crap again. You, like most of the welfare-queen lazy half-wit drivers in here, pay less in taxes than I do. So don't let me catch you mooching off me by driving on my roads, ya punk-azz bastid, or you might find yourself in more trouble than you bargained for. Now go clean yourself up.

Peaty Romano 5 years, 2 months ago

When I drove by the accident, traveling north, I saw the SUV off the left side of the road, on it's wheels it must of landed upright, then the remnants of the deer in the center of the road. A little further up the road a car facing north on my side of the road. A guy was out of the car inspecting his front end. What I think happened was he hit the deer first, the deer was in the road as the SUV came upon it. Again, I hope the SUV driver is OK. I'm sad to hear she was not wearing a seatbelt.

staff04 5 years, 2 months ago

People still drive without seatbelts? SOOOO 1983.

starkm 5 years, 2 months ago

starkm 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh for the love of humanity!!!!!!! AGAIN????? This is soooooooooooo ridiculous! I get it. If you say something remotely intelligent which again encourages people to make smart choices about how to best protect themselves apparently that doesn't warrant being allowed to stay on here. I don't understand it.

I had a true, personal anecdote about the life-saving importance of seatbelts, but that too was apparently deemed inappropriate. Again, it makes me sad and I find it utterly asinine, but oh well. Apparently, since I didn't go to Journalism School rather than being a healthcare provider and maybe knowing a thing or two about the usefulness of good, sound choices for keeping one's self safe and healthy, my opinion doesn't count for much. So much I guess also for having a close family member whose life was literally saved by seatbelt use as characterized by law enforcement as the scene of my father's accident 20+ years ago. Guess I'm just an idiot in the eyes of the comment moderators for my local paper.

People wear your damn seatbelts!!!!! They're not fashion accessories for our cars. They really do save lives and help prevent life-threatening injuries. But don't take my word for it, check it out with the good folks over at the NTSB http://www.ntsb.gov or perhaps even the fine people of NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov or maybe you'll find this link helpful... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/belt_use.html

Now, I wonder how long this post will take to get deleted by the journalism gods in the sky. Hmmmmmmmmm