Archive for Thursday, October 22, 2009

Krause Dining to end cooking run

October 22, 2009

The residential home of Robert Krause’s culinary creativity is closing early next year, as the internationally known chef turns his focus to a new downtown restaurant and other business ventures.

Krause Dining, founded eight years ago inside an expanded dining room at Krause’s home in east Lawrence, will serve its last meals Jan. 11.

Krause and his wife, Molly, just don’t have the time, nor commitment, to keep up with their self-imposed standards for serving seven-course meals at $80 a plate for as many as 30 customers five nights a week.

“It’s the curse of the blessing,” Robert Krause said Tuesday, from his kitchen at 917 Del., from which he serves customers in an addition designed and built by Kansas University architecture professor Dan Rockhill. “All of the great things (happening) and running a business out of here also make it impossible for us to have a life.”

Earlier this month, Robert Krause joined business partners in purchasing the former Round Corner Pharmacy building at 801 Mass., where he plans to open a Latin American-themed restaurant in February. The new open-air restaurant, to be called Fuego, will provide seating for about 100 people and include a bar and wood-fired grill.

Another food “opportunity” could materialize in coming months, he said, leading to the difficult — yet inevitable — decision to close Krause Dining, a business that has enjoyed both a regional following and national praise, including a No. 11 ranking on a list of places to dine in Food & Wine magazine.

It’s also a business that temporarily had been forced out of the Krause home, after city inspectors determined that the restaurant was illegally operating inside a residence. The Krauses had shifted their operation to rented space at 811 N.H. during the hiatus, before gaining the city’s blessing for the in-home operation.

Now the Krauses are ready to move on, once they’ve had the chance to create special menus and wine pairings to bid the operation farewell — and reclaim their house as a home.

“We feel immensely grateful that we have had the opportunity to run a business like this,” he said. “It’s been an amazing ride.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 5 years, 6 months ago

The cafe proved to be a "good neighbor" opening doors to future neighborhood business ventures. Depending of course on WHO owns and WHAT type of business.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 6 months ago

I'll forever regret never attending a dinner at the Krause home. I snooze, I lose.

justthefacts 5 years, 6 months ago

AS I read the article, they'll be closing January 11 2010. So there are several months left for those who have $80 a plate to spend....

Phil Minkin 5 years, 6 months ago

I went to 2 of their less expensive ($35) special dinners and they were fantasic. Krause really cares about food and it's preparation. Dempsy's burgers have real flavor and the same kind of care and attention the $85 meals have. I look forward to the new place, but regret that he had to partner with Doug Compton. I hope they honor the intergety of that space.

coolmarv 5 years, 6 months ago

foodboy,

Was that a plug or do you just really enjoy Dempsy's. Kind of an off the wall comment.

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 6 months ago

coolmarv,

LOL. If I'm not mistaken, Krause was involved in opening The Burger Stand at Dempsey's. If you didn't know the connection, I can see why you'd be confused ;)

always4ever 5 years, 6 months ago

I was fortunate to be treated to 2 meals there. It was a wonderful experience - 5 star all the way.

Phil Minkin 5 years, 6 months ago

to coolmarv I have no financial interest in any of Krause's places,but I hope they, or anyplace I like, does well and stays in business. The Burger Stand, I think is run by a Krause protege and Robert has an interest in it.

fish_balls_yum 5 years, 6 months ago

Is this going to be partnered with the Fuego restaurant in Chi-town?

ilovelucy 5 years, 6 months ago

That is run by Rick, who won Top Chef masters. I really doubt that this restaurant is an extension of Mr. Santorio's restaurants.

BobtheBuilder 5 years, 6 months ago

Foodboy, I'm sure you have no financial interest in anything other than the trailer you live in. And OldEnough tobeyour Dad, I'm quite sure you couldn't afford a meal at Krause's. It's not unfortunate you couldn't have a meal there, it's simply you weren't invited. Quit slamming businessmen in town like Doug Compton and go out and get a job.

kmat 5 years, 6 months ago

BobtheBuilder (Anonymous) says…

Ah, the wonderful elitist attitudes.

I'm sure his food was good. However, spending $85 for a meal is just stupid. If elitists want to waste their money on overpriced food, fine. BUT, don't slam others over it. Especially when we live in a world where so many go without a meal each night. There are lots of wonderful meals for a lot less money.

booze_buds_03 5 years, 6 months ago

fish_balls_yum 5 years, 6 months ago

ilovelucy (Anonymous) says…

"That is run by Rick, who won Top Chef masters. I really doubt that this restaurant is an extension of Mr. Santorio's restaurants"

Actually it is not affiliated with Rick or this Mr.Santorio you speak of. That I doubt...

kjo_shorty 5 years, 6 months ago

I had the fortunate opportunity to attend a Krause luncheon for business about a year ago. It was amazing. The wine pairings were divine, the food was exquisite, and the service perfect. Even the cup of coffee with chocolate after the meal was delectable. I also rave about Dempsey’s. Scrumptious.

svenway_park 5 years, 6 months ago

This article reminds me of a certain local architect who used these boards to demean the Krause's project, and the Krause's personally, while he was a sitting member of the Historic Resources Commission.

He solicited the Krause's to do business on the very same project.

That person subsequently helped initiate a professional practice complaint against Professor Rockhill on a licensing technicality on the Van-Go project. Obviously upset he didn't that commission, he complained to Van-Go officials about Rockhills participation.

This certainly is an interesting approach to seeking clients. No wonder it really doesn't work out for him. No surprise he got booted from the HRC.

His insecurity at not having a degree in architecture is pretty evident....filing complaints against professors.

Yes, this is the same individual who sold a sack of lies to his neighbors about the LHS practice fields to get them to help finance a lawsuit which did nothing but waste time and taxpayers money.

dotteboy 5 years, 6 months ago

I give "Fuego" six months. The Krauses are going to run out of friends.

Now, change it to...

Krause and his wife, Molly, just don’t have the time, nor commitment, to keep up with their self-imposed standards for serving pineapple infused vodka chicken nacho platters at $15 a pop for as many as 80 customers seven nights a week.

"...running a business out of here also make it impossible for us to have a life.”

Sulla 5 years, 6 months ago

Krause is a good guy. I just wonder what he's going to do with that huge expensive dining area to his house designed by Dan Crackhill(not a good guy..a flake&jerk..just ask his students) ?

not_dolph 5 years, 6 months ago

svenway park...I was thinking the SAME THING.

kugrad 5 years, 6 months ago

Where is this Dempsey's burger joint?

kjo_shorty 5 years, 6 months ago

"Where is this Dempsey's burger joint?"

It is at 623 Vermont

www.theburgerstand.com

svenway_park 5 years, 6 months ago

What we need is more "family dining" opportunities in Lawrence. You know, where you can get an education too.

puddleglum 5 years, 6 months ago

partnering up with the compton?

I still can't believe that big D. got out sky-scrapered by the Fritz-machine. maybe there is a new TOP DOG in town?

and it ain't builder-bob.