Archive for Thursday, October 22, 2009

Both drivers in K-10 double fatality had about 3 times the legal limit of alcohol

A toxicology report confirmed both drivers in the September 12 double-fatality accident on K-10 were under the influence. Both drivers were well over the legal limit when their vehicles hit head-on.

October 22, 2009

Both drivers killed in a wrong-way crash last month on Kansas Highway 10 had about three times the legal amount of alcohol in their systems, according to Johnson County coroner reports released Thursday.

The Sept. 12 accident occurred when Eric Sill, 20, of Olathe, was driving eastbound in the westbound lanes of the highway, near De Soto. His car collided head-on with a westbound car driven by Kara Morgan, a 26-year-old Kansas University student, of Lawrence.

Final toxicology results indicate Sill, at the time of the crash, had a blood-alcohol content of .252, an amount more than triple the legal driving limit of .08 in Kansas. Morgan had a blood-alcohol content of .232 and signs of marijuana in her system, according to an autopsy report.

Both drivers, who were traveling alone, died at the scene from blunt force injuries to the chest, a medical examiner said in the reports.

Kansas Highway Patrol troopers had originally identified Morgan as the wrong-way driver, but they changed their report in late September.

Comments

Boris 4 years, 5 months ago

As Buggs Bunny would say, "what a couple of maroons"!

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm with Sigmund.

It seems that almost every day there is a story in the paper about a tragic car accident in which alcohol was involved.

All of these are preventable if folks would just use common sense.

By the way, these kids weren't just drinking, they had 3x the legal limit for alcohol in their systems.

We need to do something to help prevent these tragedies - any ideas?

redmoonrising 4 years, 5 months ago

I make no judgement on these two young people. They did what so many others have done and they lost. It appalls me how much we glamorize alcohol. Too bad people have to use something mind altering to have fun. So they do, they kill themselves or innocent others and we are surprised?

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm surprised Brady Morningstar hasn't been mentioned in this discussion.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 5 months ago

I too, am holier than thou art...

sailor 4 years, 5 months ago

I would belame it on Kansas DOT. They should have marked the exits and enterences very clearly so that even a drunk driver would know that they were going in the wrong direction. My symnpathies for both of the families.

jfmrn 4 years, 5 months ago

As the mother of a daughter who was killed by a drunk driver I can tell you that drunk driving is a very serious crime and one that could be prevented if everyone would decide to make better choices. My heart goes out to the families as well because nothing hurts more than burying your child. You get through it but you never get over it. I publicly speak to DUI offenders trying to get the message out there that there are serious consequences driving while drunk. Until everyone realizes this drunk driving will continue and more and more lives will be lost as a result.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 5 months ago

I will not put a thief in my mouth to steal my brain.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

You have it right Sigmund. I sure am glad there is no requirement of pereftion to have a thought to share on here. If there were the board would have nothing on it. Human beings they are all super heros with a few drinks in them.

Practicality 4 years, 5 months ago

"signs of marijuana do not equal current impairment. It could indicate usage sometime during the last 30 days if taken from tissue samples and even more remote if from a hair sample"

You are right, it could mean that. Or, is could mean she was smoking it right before she got in the car.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

Easy way to fix drunk driving. Make the first one a felony, with months of jail time. The first DUI sentence is a joke and does not stop anyone, a felony on you r"permanent record" will cut it in half, after awhile anyway, after everyone has a friend that has one and had to live with the repercussions.

Practicality 4 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says…

"So until this town, those posters, and this news site begins to take drunk driving seriously, my comments are going to be somewhat uncomfortable and might offend some."

In agreement with Sigmund on this. Give 'em hell Sigmund. This town needs to wake up. All of these tragedies could be avoided. The permissive attitude of Alcohol and Drug use in this town contributes to these type of incidents!

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

"I will avoid the other obvious impairment of one of the drivers out of respect for the deceased's parents."

Nice job of avoiding that inference.

signs of marijuana do not equal current impairment. It could indicate usage sometime during the last 30 days if taken from tissue samples and even more remote if from a hair sample.

Please, save your soapbox for drug legalization/decriminalization debates.

alm77 4 years, 5 months ago

kufan, I think that taking the pledge (and more importantly actually acting on it) to never drink and drive again is a great way to pay tribute to your friend. I personally have never driven with a BAC over the limit, but I lost three friends in high school (in three separate incidents) to drunk driving, so I think that had a huge impact on the decisions I've made in my life. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to make us realize how dangerous certain activities really are.

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not at all offended by what you say. I just don't think it's right for people to judge others. Maybe I was ready into your post to much. I tend to do that and then get attacked b/c people don't understand what I mean. I blame it on being blonde:)

kufan4life11 4 years, 5 months ago

I think what happened this night is an extremely tragic thing. The fact that remains through everyone's badgering and arguing back and forth is that two young, wonderful, bright lives were taken on this night. Yes,as a society we need to change....we need to stop talking about the mistake these two young people made and stop judging their character in the process...instead we need to use this mistake to educate other young people, so that hopefully in the future less and less of these mistakes will be made. I sure wish that instead of getting on our mid-sized town's paper and wasting time complaining and criticizing these two people all of you would use this energy to come up with better solutions to the very real problem of drunk driving. I do not believe for one second that any of the people on here with vast criticism are completely innocent in this arena. Most people have made this mistake and regretted it the next day....unfortunately for these two young people there wasn't a next day to come to the realization that what they did was a horrible mistake. I am sure both of these people would take it back in an instant. So lets all use this to better educate our young people in our community and come up with better alternatives to this mess of a problem. I am the friend of one of the people lost on this tragic night. My pain is not describable, and although I know my friend made a bad choice that cost them their life, I love them the same as I did before. The fact of the matter is it was a mistake, bad choice and tragic decision. But it doesn't make my friend any less in my eyes. I love them forever and hope to see them again some day. I know for myself I learned a great deal from my friend, I will never make this mistake again. Because like my friend I am not innocent when it comes to this subject. I am sad that I had to lose someone I loved so much to learn this lesson. But I will cherish it forever as a gift they gave me when in the future I have the opportunities my friend will not. Rest In Peace, I love you and can't wait until the day we see each other again. Love forever

alm77 4 years, 5 months ago

Multi, I was at the bar last night. I had ONE drink. The guy across the table from me was the designated driver of the lady he had accompanied; he was drinking Red Bull. Last time I was at this same bar, I helped a lady dial the bar phone for her cab. And how many articles have we read about people trying to walk home from downtown (avoiding drunk driving) and getting robbed in the process? I think you're incorrect to state that MOST people at bars are reckless and irresponsible.

I do believe that awareness campaigns (and highly publicized details like this) are working. Not only are fewer people driving drunk, but I think most people are like our family and choose not to be on the highway after midnight if we can avoid it. We stayed overnight with friends in KC for Labor Day weekend to avoid the chance of being hit. I'm speaking from personal experience, but I think I'll try and dig up some figures.

Sigmund 4 years, 5 months ago

dancemomx2 (Anonymous) says… "So sigmund are you saying you have never sinned?"

Nope I am a hypocrite. There are worse things than being a hypocrite, like being a criminal drunk driver and killing others for instance. Nobody is perfect but it does not follow that only perfect people are allowed condemn those who break the law, that leads to no rules or standards.

I am really sorry if you are offended by my comments, but I am offended by the death and misery inflicted by drunk drivers. I am offended by the court systems that gives six week sentences to those who kill drunk driving. I am offended by those who come here to tell me what great people those killers are and that they only made one mistake when it is likely they are in the habit of drunk driving till they kill someone or themselves. I am offended by the LJW who censor my comments because someone is offended by the truth. I am offended by those who say only perfect people are allowed to be offended and condemn the carnage.

softtalker 4 years, 5 months ago

Put this to rest, no one needed to know how much alcohol they had in their system. This happened over a month ago, let the family mourn in peace. It's like pouring salt in the wound! My thoughts and prayers are with these families.

cmheck 4 years, 5 months ago

dancemomx2- What Sigmund means by "He who is without sin can caste the first stone" is, nobody here is without sin, therefore, none of us should be judgeing.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 5 months ago

Most of you who post on here talk sh** on the homeless. More evidence University students cause more crimes in this state than the homeless. So why not get rid of the universities? The cities, and towns of this state would be much safer. Of course I'm using the same argument most of the usual idiots who post on here use. So they should agree with this idea of thought.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 5 months ago

What do you all say we just decide to not post on this one, OK? These families have been through enough without "us".

Richard Heckler 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps motels and hotels instead of drinking too much and then driving. Get a room, take a shower,get some sleep then come home.... no matter what.

If in Lawrence think about doing the same. DUI's cost thousands of dollars.

Or keep blankets in the car....

Or friends could disable a friends car to prevent driving. Remove battery cables,pull spark plug wires etc etc.

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 5 months ago

So sigmund are you saying you have never sinned?

Just because these people did this does not mean people need to say some of the things that are being said. None of us are any better than the other. In God's eyes we have all sinned. And again just in case you think I agree with what they did, I don't. The parents of these people do not deserve the disrespect some posters are showing towards them, even if they were in the wrong.

JackRipper 4 years, 5 months ago

multi the real answer is rebuilding America that doesn't require a car to get around as much. Corner bar you walk to, public transportation, getting rid of the massive concrete parking lots at all the strip malls that say one thing, drive on in and have a few. The answers are pretty simple. Now that we have texting and all kind of distractions at the same time the requirements to drive are being lowered we are looking for a lot more of this stuff. It is demonstrated all the time that people don't really want to drive because they are too busy doing other things and simply have no other choice.

Sigmund 4 years, 5 months ago

sandrat (Anonymous) says… "He who is without sin can caste the first stone… otherwise, shut the @#$#% up."

It is unlikely these people didn't make one mistake and kill each other. Most likely they both were in the habit of drinking and driving and one time they killed themselves. Anyone who does not drink and drive can feel free to throw their stones at their grave stones. I'll reserve mine for those who survive and kill the innocent.

9070811 4 years, 5 months ago

May peace be upon their souls and families.

Sigmund 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes lets remove all the posts condemning the drunk drivers who killed each other in possibly the only recent death by drunk driving where the victim wasn't innocent. I am really sorry people are offended by my comments. I am even more sorry the drunk driving is considered a victimless crime, or not a real crime, or that everyone does it.Let the carnage continue on the Lawrence roads, let the flames fly, and may the LJW censors let the blood red ink flow on the LJW pages so nobody is offended by the real deaths and misery these criminals inflict on society. Cheers everyone! Drink up!

Frightwig 4 years, 5 months ago

Over a decade ago I was out drinking with my friends and I had way too much to drink; easily as much alcohol as the two people mentioned in this article. In my drunken stupor, I told myself that I could probably manage to drive home because it was late at night and there weren't many other cars on the road anyway. I left the bar and walked down the street to discover that my car had been towed. As it turns out, the city where this happened enacted a "no-parking after 9pm" ordinance that went into effect that very day and I wasn't aware of it. I took a cab home and on the ride home I thought about how glad I was that my car had been towed. That was my free pass. I almost certainly would have wrecked if I had driven. The next day I went to the impound lot to retrieve my car. It was the best 150 bucks I have ever spent. I have never put myself in that situation since.

RidgeRunner 4 years, 5 months ago

The LJ has no soul.... as seen countless times.

We are in need of a new source of news..whatever agenda, damn.

Is the LJ a sub of Rupert Murdoch???

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

What many refuse to recognize, is that many, many of the people leaving every bar in this town on the busy nights I'm certain have BAC in this range. I've seen table after table of 4-5 people talking about having downs 14 beers in 3 hours,or so many of this, plus a few shots of that, so and so bought them this.. then them all getting into the cars.

And NO one even thinks about getting a cab. They would have to have someone bring them to get their car in the morning, or it might be towed. Yes, sometimes there is a designated driver, or the wife of one in the group doesn't drink and they all ride together. But more often then not, they have been drinking all night, and if you ran their BACs..I'm sure most everyone after 11 pm would be over the limit if not close to it.

I'm not talking about those who go have a drink with dinner and go home..although I know some people who might have that many..I'm talking the go out and drink with friends..sure they might eat dinner, but they are going out all night until they either go home with their date, or just go home.

Hate to say it, but the only real solution may be cars that can tell if the driver is sober or not.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 5 months ago

So mom of three, should God have stopped them from dying or what? We all hate it when young people die because of their bad judgment but I'm truly thankful they didn't take some innocent family with them. Deserving to die had nothing to do with it. I pity their family because I have had to sit on the front row at a grave site with a grieving mother with no way to comfort her.

Sheila Hooper White 4 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if some of the people who make the rude and nasty comments would say this to the families of the drivers. This does not mean I agree with what these people did but no one on here has the right to judge anyone. Would you want people saying these things about your family members if the shoe was on the other foot?

My prayers to the families. A parent should never have to bury their child even if they make a stupid mistake.

mom_of_three 4 years, 5 months ago

It is disturbing to read they were both under the influence.
BUT no one deserves to die for making a mistake.

classclown 4 years, 5 months ago

sandrat 4 years, 5 months ago

He who is without sin can caste the first stone... otherwise, shut the @#$#% up.

Sigmund 4 years, 5 months ago

macon47 4 years, 5 months ago

anyone who feels the need to be driving and 2 or 3 am is putting thier lives in other peoples hands russian routlette is safer

livetocook 4 years, 5 months ago

The trash talking is already under way. What a shocker.

red_devil 4 years, 5 months ago

Rude comment JD.

Glad it wasn't me or my family that was hit by either of these two.

Practicality 4 years, 5 months ago

People need to make better decisions in their life. Hopefully someone, somewhere will learn from this.

hillbilly_jim 4 years, 5 months ago

JDenny1985 4 years, 5 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

poor judgement X2= 2 dead. I am sorry for the pain felt by their loved ones but I don't have a lot of sympathy for either of them, they could have killed me too that night instead of just themselves. well said

Eride 4 years, 5 months ago

It is lucky for everyone else on the road that these two only killed each other instead of an innocent bystander. I am sorry for the pain felt by their loved ones but I don't have a lot of sympathy for either of them, they could have killed me too that night instead of just themselves.

nekansan 4 years, 5 months ago

It reminds both their loved ones and those that were lucky enough not to be killed by these two of the dangers of drunk driving. If it hurts their families perhaps that is something they both should have thought of before they drove when wasted.

JackRipper 4 years, 5 months ago

Because it should become apparent we need transportation options other than the car.

royalpain 4 years, 5 months ago

This really does no good for anyone who loved these two. Why do we need to know this information? Leave it to the insurance companies to work out.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 5 months ago