Archive for Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Trial ordered in post-brawl confrontation

Guy Lipscomb, 19, was arrested and later charged with two counts of criminal threat for allegedly threatening two female track athletes, court documents said.

October 21, 2009

On Tuesday a Douglas County District Court judge ordered a man to stand trial on charges of threatening to shoot two women outside Jayhawker Towers.

The two victims, one former and one current member of the Kansas University track team, testified Tuesday during a preliminary hearing for Guy Lipscomb, 19. Lipscomb is not a KU student.

The women said Lipscomb threatened to get a gun and shoot them as they were standing in the parking lot near the towers Sept. 22.

“He said, ‘I have no problem shooting you guys. I have nothing going on in my life. I’m not as fortunate as you, and I have no problem going to get my gun,’” one of the victims testified.

The incident occurred after an earlier fight in the parking lot of the Burge Union that involved members of KU’s football and basketball teams.

One victim, a fifth-year senior majoring in African-American studies, said Lipscomb appeared to be injured from the earlier fight and looked out of place.

“I felt threatened, obviously, because I didn’t know who he was,” the victim said. “His lip was busted and he didn’t look like he belonged.”

The other victim, a current member of the track team, said she had seen Lipscomb at the previous incident at the Burge Union, and she testified that Lipscomb may have perceived her to be on the opposite side of that fight.

The Burge Union fight, which took place about an hour earlier, resulted in an injury to KU basketball guard Tyshawn Taylor and was followed by another altercation between members of the two teams the next day outside Wescoe Hall.

The women were not injured in the incident at the towers.

At the conclusion of Tuesday’s hearing, Judge Robert Fairchild found there was enough evidence to bind Lipscomb over for trial on two counts of making criminal threats. Lipscomb is free on bond.

Lipscomb’s attorney entered a not guilty plea on behalf of his client, and the judge scheduled a jury trial for March 31.

Comments

Jeremy 5 years, 3 months ago

You can take the trash out of the trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash...

KU_cynic 5 years, 3 months ago

Who is this Guy Lipscomb, and what was he doing on campus? Apparently he was involved in the "brawl" earlier, although he's not a KU student.

Is he a Lawrence resident?

Is he a friend or relative of a KU student or student athlete?

Is he a member of some football or basketball player's "posse" of hanger-ons?

There's more to this story, perhaps.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Threatening to shoot two women. What a fine, upstanding individual he is. (not)

alm77 5 years, 3 months ago

"I have nothing going on in my life. I’m not as fortunate as you," I think this sums up a lot of things.

kmat 5 years, 3 months ago

I had heard that the fighting between the two teams was over a girl on the track team. Now this.

I agree, this guy is a scapegoat. Still no charges against any players, one of which confessed online to throwing a punch.

Frightwig 5 years, 3 months ago

"He didn't look like he belonged."

Three cheers for profiling!

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

"Can you say, “scapegoat”? someone totally unaffiliated with either the FB or BB teams is the only one getting nailed. Can you say, “Sacraficial Lamb”?""

Not only can I say sacrificial lamb, I can spell it, too. Shocker that consumer and kmat would be here calling this clown a 'scapegoat'. Perhaps you two should look up what that means first before commenting. And in case you can't read, this isn't about the 'brawl', it's about someone threatening to kill two women long after the melee had ended.
This guy's only a 'scapegoat' for the 'brawl' if the charges stemmed from that confrontation. They don't. Get the difference?

james bush 5 years, 3 months ago

Matt Lacey 5 years, 3 months ago

Then you would be very happy to note that most Middle Eastern studies programs around the country are funded by Wahhabis or Iran. (source:CNN and Fox consultant Walid Phares)

jaywalker 5 years, 3 months ago

Congrats, consumer. Your last post was even more nonsensical than your first. Well done.