Archive for Wednesday, October 21, 2009

First H1N1 clinic set for this afternoon

Local health workers are gearing up for the area's first H1N1 clinic this week.

October 21, 2009

Swine Flu Pandemic

An outbreak of H1N1 Swine Flu was reported in Mexico in April 2009. By the end of May, it had spread across the U.S., with all 50 states reporting cases.

Douglas County H1N1 updates

The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department will have its first swine flu immunization clinic today.

The clinic will be from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Haskell Indian Nations University’s Coffin Sports Complex, 155 Indian Ave.

The department, which has received 4,200 doses of both nasal spray and injectable vaccines, will provide them at no cost for any Douglas County resident in the priority group: pregnant women, people between 6 months and 24 years, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months, health care and emergency services personnel, and people ages 25 through 64 who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complications.

Three other clinics are scheduled next week at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, 2120 Harper St:

• 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 28.

• 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 29.

• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 31.

For more information, go to LJWorld.com/swineflu

Comments

Kat Christian 5 years, 2 months ago

Well it just so happens that I'm one of the many who will fall in the cracks of getting this shot. Though I'm betweent he age of 25 & 64 with no risk factors (that I know of) I cannot get the shot. BUT I notice that EVERYONE who works, attends or is associated with the University is eligable for the shot. Doesn't anyone see anything wrong with this picture? It's not like the University is miles from where I work and live and how many of those kids from there are downtown and around town? So I guess I'll have to go from work to home and stay out of public places until I can get the shot or this H1N1 scare is over? Or I guess I'm one of the "expendable crew members", afterall they can't vacinate the entire US of A folks can they? CRAP!!

jhawk24 5 years, 2 months ago

I also fall in the category of someone who can't get the shot...YET. Just be patient and understand there are those who need it more. I'll wait my turn and get it when i can. I just hope that's sooner rather than later.

medworld 5 years, 2 months ago

Why does the health department insist on "hosting" vaccinations in a barn instead of utilizing the 13 medical sites that have already been trained and are ready to go? The schools are also ready. Doesn't it make better sense to use those locations for vaccination that the giant effort and expense of setting up shop in a barn. I thought the whole idea was to vaccinate as many people as possible - not make it miserable.

1julie1 5 years, 2 months ago

Sunshine_noise: see http://www.studenthealth.ku.edu/flu/h1n1.shtml. The H1N1 clinics at KU have the same parameters as other H1N1 clinics. You must fall into one of the high risk groups to be vaccinated at this point in time. Everyone at KU is not eligible for the shots right now. There are also seasonal flu vaccinations and nasal spray clinics scheduled at KU (as there have been at many other locations in town). Detailed information is at: http://www.studenthealth.ku.edu/flu/flu_seasonal.shtml. As jhawk24 says, be patient, your turn will come. Meanwhile, be thankful you aren't in a high risk group.

jr7609 5 years, 2 months ago

Has anyone researched how effective the vaccine will be? The regular flu shot, is it effective, or do we just "trust" what the government is telling us? There is no doubt "high risk" individuals are at risk, but do you know the side-effects, do the risks outweigh the benefits? Just some food for thought. Check out this information: http://www.mercola.com/article/swine-flu/Swine-Flu-Update-2.htm

kappyblu 5 years, 2 months ago

jr-- My four children received the vaccine today. It was no biggie. They are just fine (the wait in line was hard, though). There are so many websites that put out this conspiracy theory stuff...and sadly, people buy into it. When you think about it, if you believe someone's claims about the vaccine being questionable, isn't that the same as me believing the government that it is safe? It's all about choosing who you believe. Two of my children have asthma, and I was not denying them this vaccine because of someone's opinions. They tested the vaccines, they (the vaccine) are effective or they wouldn't give them out. My children and I get seasonal flu shots every year and we never get more than a cold (or the occassional asthma flare up).

The bunches of people that showed up today must feel the same way. Better safe than sorry. I definitely feel the benefits totally outweigh the risks which are minimal.

jr7609 5 years, 2 months ago

No it is not about a belief, most that say it is not safe or effective have research to back it up. How many drugs and vaccines have been taken off the market after they have supposedly been proven safe? If you check into it the swine flu vaccination has had very very limited studies done with children. Also there are studies that show the "regular" flu shot does not prevent or help with asthma flare ups. Did you read about the risks? Have you read about or heard about the side effects of the swine flu vaccine? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1206807/Swine-flu-jab-link-killer-nerve-disease-Leaked-letter-reveals-concern-neurologists-25-deaths-America.html