Archive for Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Apartment fire blamed on smoking material

An apartment fire that displaced several residents was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials, officials said Tuesday.

October 21, 2009

Advertisement

Fire investigators have determined a fire at a Lawrence apartment complex on Sunday was caused accidentally, according to a city news release.

The fire at Fifth and Wisconsin streets was started by discarded smoking materials, investigators said Tuesday.

Several apartment units were damaged in the fire, which caused $250,000 in damage, the news release said.

Comments

Ron444 5 years, 6 months ago

If "discarded smoking materials" means discarded cigarette butts, then this is really crazy. Especially since stores and websites that sell tobacco free e-cigarettes exist, like whitecloudecigoutlet.com.

My cousin died in a fire that was caused by a careless smoker, and since then, I've switched to electronic cigarettes that don't burn. I haven't smoked a tobacco cigarette in a LONG time.

If all smokers switched to these things, we wouldn't be reading stories like this.

Kornphlake 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought they insisted that all cigarettes sold in Kansas be FSC. The things barely even stay lit anymore. I think discarded smoking materials probably "reefer" to something else.

somedude20 5 years, 6 months ago

OK, I will point my finger at the 300lb gorilla in the room (and no sir, I am not talking about your wife), what if it was reefer products that caused it: Herb Green Kinds Kibbs Kibids Shwag Shwiggs Pot Mary-J Mary-Jane Herbage KB Chronic Spliff Blunt Ganja Sensi Sensemilia Motta THC Buddha Grass Reefer Shake Bud Hemp Dope Draw Dew Endo Giggle bush Purple haze Matchbox Messo role Mo Mighty Mez Kush Hydro Devil's Lettuce green cheese sweet tooth fishermans friend truckies treat jungle juice poor mans grass rich mans lawn Joint Mary Jane Roach Thai Sticks Smoke

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

Not the cause. Don't believe the improperly discarded smoking materials theory. The cigarette butt was tossed in there 3 hours before the fire erupted. Not going for it. I would like to hear the theory on how a gas can and a phone book that were not there before, suddenly appeared.And why the child seen running back and forth suddenly started knocking on the doors. Whose kid was that, anyway.

cin 5 years, 5 months ago

I was there and I could tell you that I personally saw a gas can in front of my neighbors door melting. I know what I have been told and it wasn't just smoking materials but I guess what they tell the public is what I am going to stick to. The smoking materials were left in the Flower pot at 1:30 and sometime between then and 4 my neighbors apartment caught on fire. Sometime also between then and 4 someone dropped off a gas can and left it in front of their house. I don't know what the phone book has to do with it, but all I know is I will never forget the sound of the fire or the way my house smelled as I sifted through memories trying to decide what I could keep and what I had to let go.

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

"smoking materials"? Not burning materials?

Ok, we have something smoking or burning. We have a flower pot. We have a gas can (plastic?). We have a phone book.

Looks like someone was trying to make a political statement.

Unless the flower pot was plastic too, something else must have been in it to make the fire escape.

1:30. Precisely. Did you see the smoking or burning "materials"?

cin 5 years, 5 months ago

I saw the melting gas can when my husband opened our front door to see what the noise we heard was. We also smelled melting plastic but hey that could have been the siding.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.