Archive for Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Woman’s death from swine flu marks seventh in Kansas

October 14, 2009

A 50-year-old Johnson County woman has died from swine flu, and she is the first person in the state to die from the virus who had no serious prior medical problems.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said the woman’s death was the seventh in the state to be confirmed as due to the swine flu virus. It came after more than a week of hospitalization.

“The death being reported today reminds us of the importance of taking this virus very seriously,” said Dr. Eberhart-Phillips, state health officer. “The H1N1 vaccine has started arriving in the state and it is important for Kansans to know that this is a safe and effective tool we have for fighting this virus. While supplies of the vaccine are very limited at this time, we will soon have sufficient quantities to start vaccinating larger groups, and I encourage Kansans to stay informed.”

The pandemic H1N1 virus is causing widespread illness throughout Kansas and the United States.

Visits to healthcare providers for influenza-like illness have been increasing in most regions of Kansas as well as throughout the United States during the past few weeks and are substantially higher than what is typically seen at this time of year.

Comments

I_smell_poop 4 years, 6 months ago

I swear to god, this all seems like a conspiracy. I smell poop. Don't people die every year of the regular flu? I think the pharmaceutical companies are laughing all the way to the banks, who are laughing too, all the way back to the pharmaceutical companies.

KsTwister 4 years, 6 months ago

I gargle every day of my life---scratch that one off.

phenommenom 4 years, 6 months ago

OMG a week long hospital then passes! Geez I don't have insurance, was laid off! SWINE FLU PREVENTION 1. Frequently wash hands 2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach 3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. 4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population. 5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). 6. Drink as much of warm liquids as you can. *Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction.

Karrey Britt 4 years, 6 months ago

KsTwister that sounds awful. Kim Ens, of the local health department, said that there is nothing mild about the swine flu virus. She said people have described getting the virus as "horrible" and "nasty." There have been a number of Lawrence students out with influenza-like symptoms and she said it's too early to be "seasonal."

Chris Golledge 4 years, 6 months ago

Umm, (not-so) Informed,

From the CDC site: Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses.

If just about everything you test is H1N1, it's a pretty safe bet that most of what you haven't tested is also H1N1.

The seasonal flu hasn't started making the rounds yet.

KsTwister 4 years, 6 months ago

Because a nurse told me they also have to receive a pneumonia shot---that one may be the most important. Awaiting a call back to find out.

gr 4 years, 6 months ago

"The death being reported today reminds us of the importance of taking this virus very seriously,” said Dr. Eberhart-Phillips, state health officer. “The H1N1 vaccine has started arriving in the state " What does taking the virus seriously have to do with the vaccine?

"and it is important for Kansans to know that this is a safe and effective tool we have for fighting this virus."

Safe and effective?
Define "safe". Do they mean percentage safe? What percentage - 5%? Would 5% safe mean only 5% don't suffer from the vaccine?

"and despite handwashing 2 days later" Twister, I think you are supposed to wash your hands immediately. ;-)

"coughing up what I describe as “sticky water”"

I've read that flu coughs are non-productive. That's why our economy is suffering so.

"Now I am hearing that you should get the vaccination even if you already had it,"

On a serious note, does that make sense? If it was some magic pill, then maybe. But, the idea is to inject an infective substance into you and your body counteracts it and becomes immune. If you should get a fullblown case of it, you should be more immune than any manipulated virus infection.

Recommending you get vaccinated even if you already have the same flu should be a red flag that the whole thing is a flu swindle. A farce.

In other news, will the Prime Minister or won't the Prime Minister get shot with pig flu? http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/10/14/h1n1-research-funding.html

KsTwister 4 years, 6 months ago

I am considering doing the testing just to make sure because I don't get ill rarely but it has been a long 3 weeks for me. I came in contact with the home of an ill young gentleman's door handle and despite handwashing 2 days later began this strange illness: first the raging sore throat, fever, chills, day 4 I thought nausea but did not, day 5 I went through 3 new boxes of kleenex coughing up what I describe as "sticky water", day 6 every time I cough my side hurt so bad tears to my eyes, and through it all I had no energy-zip ..nada.. barely moving.Everytime I did move the fever went higher. I lived on some Newman's ginger lozenzes(put out the fire for the throat),chicken soup and Afrin on day 4 when it went to my head. I could literally feel and hear the air sacs in my lungs moving liquid. Forget sleeping.

I don't think hysteria is good but if you get this it will make you think perhaps you should have been. And forget working for at least a week if you get it bad enough. Now I am hearing that you should get the vaccination even if you already had it, and before I get this stuff again I am going to get it if that is true because the next time will land me in a hospital for sure. I managed not to pass it on to my family and friends covering the cough and not touching anything they would and spraying Lysol if I did. This stuff is terrible and almost 3 weeks before I feel human again. The person I got it from....did not have it nearly as bad as I. I should have bought stock in Kleenex. I imagine in this economy missing work adds the hysteria part. With no pre-existing conditions for some this flu will hurt you ; no comparison to the flu's in our past.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 6 months ago

So, if this is true... "Swine flu symptoms are similar to symptoms of seasonal flu and include fever greater than 100 degrees, body aches, coughing, sore throat, respiratory congestion, and in some cases, diarrhea and vomiting. Most people who have been ill with swine flu have recovered without medical treatment."

Then, we don't know if most people who have become ill have had the seasonal flu or H1N1. Without medical treatment AND the proper testing, we have no real answers and no real data. But we do have hysteria, and that's great for a 'pandemic'...