Archive for Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Statehouse Live: GOP legislator blasts Obama while wearing hat that says “OPOSSUM the other Dark Meat”

October 14, 2009, 9:18 a.m. Updated October 14, 2009, 9:39 a.m.

RedNeck Rap

9:40 a.m.

During the video, Otto is wearing a hat that has printed on it: “OPOSSUM the other Dark Meat.”

At the end of his song, Otto points to the hat and says, “Opposum, the other dark meat. A little greasy, but hey ...”

9:20 a.m.

Here is a copy of the Congressional Budget Office analysis of the health reform bill approved yesterday by the Senate Finance Committee. U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., voted against the proposal.

The bill would:

1. Require most to get health insurance;

2. Set up “exchanges” where people could buy insurance and receive subsidies to reduce the cost;

3. Expand Medicaid;

4. Reduce growth of Medicare payment rates;

5. Impose excise tax on insurance plans with high premiums

skinny 5 years, 12 months ago

Won't be long and our government will go bankrupt and fold.

This is not the role of the U.S. Government!!

Please watch;

Jimo 5 years, 12 months ago

Ah, Appalachia on the Plains. And to think that they hanged John Brown for keeping this type of inbred cretan on the other side of the Missouri border.

truman1902 5 years, 12 months ago

I'm a pickin' and I'm a grinnin"..YA got anything else there, GOP?? What's the matter with Kansas??

Practicality 5 years, 12 months ago

Can we place an IQ and common sense requirement on ALL elected officials? I mean, nothing outlandish, but above 60 would be an improvement.

KansasVoter 5 years, 12 months ago

"State Rep. Bill Otto, R-LeRoy, criticizes President Obama with a “Redneck Rap” on You Tube."

I'm not gonna bother watching it, but I'm sure that's it's even worse than I imagine. I can understand some Joe Sixpack doing something stupid like this, but a state representative?

Practicality 5 years, 12 months ago

Mackadoo 5 years, 12 months ago

Oh, god. How embarrassing.

Jon Stewart - if you see this, please go easy. We aren't all idiots, I swear!

anonmouse 5 years, 12 months ago

Bill Otto is an idiot, but luckily he's so inept that he's harmless in the legislature, because he can't manage to write a bill that's coherent enough to get co-sponsors or through committee.

Witness his legislation, introduced in the 2007 session, that would place a special tax on 'non-residents'. When contacted for clarification on who this would impact, Otto managed to provide two conflicting explanations within the same response.

His campaign mailings are high comedy, though. I think it's safe to say that the sentence fragment on his hat is about as close as he can get to conforming to standard grammatical rules.

wolfy 5 years, 12 months ago

Unbelievable! The lyrics aren't too radical, but that hat is despicable.

5thgeneration 5 years, 12 months ago

Another great piece of publicity for Kansas. I hope the media has a heyday with this one.

Satirical 5 years, 12 months ago

Watching someone of the political opposition mixing humor with politics makes me feel better about my own position. Seeing people do this allows me to stereotype all of my opponents by claiming they are exactly like this individual. This way I don’t have to refute any of their legitimate arguments, but instead simply create straw-man arguments, or assume they are all ignorant/irrational, etc.

I am confident this tactic will also work well on other naïve individuals, so I will perpetuate and encourage stereotyping the opposition.

jimmyjms 5 years, 12 months ago

"No worse than Anita Dunn, The Anointed One's communication director trashing Fox News calling them a 'wing of the Republican party'."

Um, would you care to counter the evidence?

georgiahawk 5 years, 12 months ago

Sometimes I don't know which is more embarrassing, being from Kansas or living in Middle Georgia. Politicians from both areas try their hardest for the honor. Tom, Fox news is for entertainment, not facts! I have recently been watching Glenn Beck... Oh my God! He would be hilarious if there weren't people like you that believed his paranoid rants about ACORN, SEIU and their 6 degrees of separation from Mao. Any Beck believers are being taken for a ride, someday the joke will be outed. Speaking of Beck, has anyone heard the most recent albums by Jeff Beck? The dude is awesome! Check him out!

RoeDapple 5 years, 12 months ago

Practicality (Anonymous) says… "Ha, I just watched that youtube. That was kind of funny. Is this one of your cuzins Roe?"

no i dint wachit ether but i kin tells ya i aint that way im no big fan of obama but i want this land to succceeed an he aint no kin of minetruth be tole i gots me sum cajun roots an i proply come closer to bein kin to barack than i du to that angry white feller so evn ifin i votes the uther side of the fence mos times dont meen im bad leest not that bad but mrs roe an our too growed up grils voted fer obama an theys not kikked me outa da house yet so mebbe i not al bad i jes keep my rantin subdood roun heer so i bettr not talk boutit no mor

puddleglum 5 years, 12 months ago

ha! someone just asked tom to provide evidence. ha! ha! ha! just so you know, there is no evidence to anything he sez,

puddleglum 5 years, 12 months ago

this really was a banner year for the g.o.p.

teabaggers, birthers, palins, child-congressmen, astroturfers, nobel-naysayers, and now 'dark-meat-eaters'

puddleglum 5 years, 12 months ago

oh, I forgot 'great-white-hopers'.... I wonder if this has anything to do with lynn jenkins? white hope=Obama is dark meat?

bd 5 years, 12 months ago

Hey, smartypants , rednecks need representation just like you all!

Ain't America Great!

puddleglum 5 years, 12 months ago

ratings? south park has good ratings.

Fox news is not news, it is a news digest entertainment channel, that's why we all watch it, tom. it's entertaining. Real news is kinda boring-that's why few people actually watch it.

tbaker 5 years, 12 months ago

Thats right libs! Shout it loud! Scream it from the rooftops!

Go right ahead, characterize everyone who has an honest difference of opinion with our government with juvenile sander. Condemn them. Denigrate them. Insult them. You can do it! Revel in your moment! Suck and savor every drop of flavor! Oh the pent up angst! Let it out! Think of how terribly long our country has been deprived of your special brand of wisdom and insight.

The banal tripe you incessantly spew is the best thing to happen to conservatism in a generation. Keep up the good work. Ronald Reagan is smiling at you.

bd 5 years, 12 months ago

One day the sleeping giants will rise up against the liberal plague.

KansasVoter 5 years, 11 months ago

unsavoryagent (Anonymous) says… "I'm reading a lot of UCLA vs USC-like comments here"

That's one of the main problems with American politics--it's just a game to most people. They vote for the republican or democratic candidates no matter who they are, as long as they've got an "R" or a "D" after their name. Most Kansans support republicans for the same reason that most Kansans support KU--it's easier and more fun to support a winner.

tbaker 5 years, 11 months ago

Ah yes, our resident kuru disease sufferer makes my point for me.

ndmoderate 5 years, 11 months ago

I lived a few miles away from LeRoy, KS for five years. As much as it pains me to say it, Bill Otto DOES reflect his constituents in many ways. The people in that district would only elect a Democrat if he/she spelled it "Republican."

Way to go Otto. Why are you wearing that hat? Any particular reason?

puddleglum 5 years, 11 months ago

I think he is saying Obama is like Opossum
dark meat=Obama is a 'darkie'

kind of goes hand in hand with the kansas republican search for a great white hope

pace 5 years, 11 months ago

What kind of idiot thinks only liberals are ashamed by and against racist behavior by this elected lout. If this doesn't make you sick and pukey then you should just wear your sheet to work.

jimmyjms 5 years, 11 months ago

tbaker, Ronnie is wormfood. He isn't smiling 'cuz he ain't got lips.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

"The banal tripe you incessantly spew is the best thing to happen to conservatism in a generation."

How do you think it balances the banal tripe that's incessantly spewed by the conservatives?

You have noticed, I hope?

Boosh 5 years, 11 months ago

GOP legislator blasts Obama while wearing hat that says “OPOSSUM the other Dark Meat” my pants.

ooops wrong thread

EXks 5 years, 11 months ago

Now that's what I call down home Christian entertainment!!

Step aside Glen Beck, R. LIMPbaugh, Bill-O the clown and Chicken Little- Hannity.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh. I thought it was Shewmon in the video.

kmat 5 years, 11 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says…

Porchie, if we could all only be as perfect as you. “Most” of the nation supports Obama? Really? I guess technically, going on the liberally skewed polls you go by, 51% is “most” of the nation in your mind, right?

Hey Tommy Boy - if you aren't too busy making dinner for wife, maybe you can explain how 51% was declared a mandate by your failure Bush and he said "I earned capital in this campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it," Bush told reporters.

So is 51% a mandate? Is it "most of the population"? Do you feel as stupid as you appear?

(more laughter)

puddleglum 5 years, 11 months ago

well, like the great invictus said: Morons need morons representing them in office, too.

blindrabbit 5 years, 11 months ago

More good PR for Kansas:

Fred Phelps Smilin Sam Brownback Jim Ryun Anti-Evolution Kris Kobach Phill Klein Dorothy Flatness Ball of Twine No natural lakes Goat Gland Doctor

Ralph Reed 5 years, 11 months ago

@blindrabbit: You left Tom Shewmon off your list, and actually Dorothy is pretty good PR for Kansas so take her off your list.

@Tom:You've reached a point at which your maniacal rants and laughter aren't even funny anymore. I know your intent is to insult, irritate and malign everyone who has the sheer audacity to hold a viewpoint other that that evidenced by your own myopic posts parroting the worst of everything the "right" has to say. I'm glad you've found a platform that supports cr*p such as you write. It's unfortunate that it just happens to be here.

It's a true shame you write like that as I think you're somewhat intelligent and could add much to a discussion. Why don't you evidence that instead of presenting the worst characteristics of Limbaugh and Beck (to whom, by the way, you don't have a snowball's chance of comparing).

Either learn how to discuss and not rant (which I doubt you can do); go back to River City Talks where you're welcome; or If you can't do either of those, move to LeRoy.

Randall Barnes 5 years, 11 months ago

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 11 months ago

Calm down Ralph. As the months go by and my wings unfold and I raise my weary head more and more from the intense beating of the Bush years the funnier and more pathetic I find Tom. Even I wasn't that bad under the Gang of Five. His frantic folding and refolding of tinfoil hats, the shrill panic in his voice and his flood of copy and paste from right wing blogs is almost sad. Give him six more months and he'll be cutting paper dolls in a corner and won't be able to put a coherent sentence together. Not that he's very good at putting together a coherent sentence now but just be patient. On a bright and positive note it's a good indication of just how seriously frightened and panicky the right wing really is at this point. Like their buffoons and clowns, (excuse me, "commentators",. Sorry, the excuse is given that these people are "entertainers") Beck and Limbaugh, the sheer flood of words coming from them is a map of just how scared they're running. At this point I'm seriously shocked they aren't all broadcasting from Panic Rooms in underground bunkers. Given that Tom lives out in the country I'm sure he has a concrete bunker built in the ground stocked with plenty of guns and ammo for the end of the world. Just remember to stock it with plenty of water, Tom. 2012 isn't that far off.

texburgh 5 years, 11 months ago

Otto is a moron and a racist. He has demonstrated both repeatedly during his tenure in the Kansas House. Someone above said his stupidity makes him harmless. I beg to differ. His stupidity leads him to support every extremist right wing proposal to hit the floor of the House including proposals to cut corporate taxes which result in local communities either raising individuals' property taxes or cutting services. He repeatedly proposes and votes for racist policies including his own special tax increase on legal immigrants. Sadly there is a large constituency of apparently equally racist morons who happily re-elect him time after time. He is an embarrassment to every Kansan with a brain of any political persuasion.

jaywalker 5 years, 11 months ago

"Much of our derision..."

There's that inclusive pronoun again, like that sad kid most of us had living down the street who pretended he was part of the 'cool' clique. You felt bad for him, but he was just so socially awkward there was no way to help.

puddleglum 5 years, 11 months ago

not a news network- a news digest opinion machine that poses as 'news'...

time for the judicial branch to change the name from Fox News to Fox news digest & right wing opinions

'bout time.

Jimo 5 years, 11 months ago

Shewmon: "Hardly anyone I know voted for and/or approves of Obama."

And to think anyone here ever thought your acquaintances would be anyone but morons. Get dressed. get out of the basement, and get out and meet some real Americans for a change.

"We're talking about high six fig. CEO's, SVP's, Presidents, Vice-Presidents. "

I submit that not one person in a hundred believes this for a second.

"Fox News runs stories that the Obama administration would rather ignore."

And thereby supplies John Stewart daily with new material. "Stories" is the suggestive tell here in your fibbery.

Echoes 5 years, 11 months ago

I live in Otto's district. I am a conservative Republican and I am mortified that this man represents me. I've seen him speak in public and I cringe every time I hear him or read about him in the paper. Unfortunately the big R after his name gets him elected. We had a very qualified candidate run against him last election and the race was closer than many thought it would be. This guy is a nut job. An elected official whether they be a Democrat or Republican should retain some amount of dignity and decorum. I too have roots in the Ozarks of Arkansas, but my ancestors wouldn't be bragging about eating 'possums nor commenting about the "dark meat". Otto is a troll and a cretin. I will do what I can to persuade fellow voters in this district to NOT vote for this embarrassment next election.

Echoes 5 years, 11 months ago

In this neck of the woods, the Republican party is king and whoever manages to get the favor of the local party officials is almost a slam dunk to get elected. The opposition against Otto in the last election got a late start and did not have the backing of the party.

I try to evaluate the individual and vote for candidate that makes the most sense. When the locals see the excess of the liberal left (I know the extreme right isn't any better), they vote more against the far left than for the the Republican, whoever they may be.

Some think that Otto's antics are funny, but southeast KS doesn't have a monopoly on stupid. We unfortunately do have Bill Otto representing us.

I know it is easy to lump all of us in the rural parts of KS as a bunch of hicks, and maybe we are to an extent, but there are a lot of us that have a sense of propriety that transcends the R or D after a candidate's name. Bill Otto is pandering to the basest level of intellect with his antics and I (and others) are ashamed that he is our representative. Otto used to be an educator, but you couldn't tell by watching him degrade his office the way he does.

Don't think that all of us down here are clones of this oafish dimwit, we are not. We'll do what we can to remedy the problem. Maybe a third party is the answer.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

I have several Repub relatives. Hate obama with a passion. They adore FOX news. They believe whatever they say. Fox news had a story about the fake moon landings, so now one of the believes the moon landings were fake cause Fox news said it. pretty much covers it. fox news isn't real.