Archive for Sunday, October 11, 2009

21-year-old man arrested after stealing ambulance

A 21-year-old man was arrested early Sunday morning after stealing an ambulance and leading police on a brief low-speed chase. The man was intoxicated.

October 11, 2009

A 21-year-old man was arrested early Sunday morning after driving off in an ambulance that had been parked downtown.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said that Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews had left the ambulance near the intersection of 10th and Massachusetts streets while they responded to a medical call at the Jazzhaus, 926 Mass.

While the crews were away from the vehicle, an intoxicated man got into the ambulance and began driving away, heading westbound on 10th Street. Hadl said the man believed he had no other means of transportation home.

The man led police on a brief low-speed chase. It began at 2:22 a.m. and ended just a few minutes later at the intersection of 10th and Tennessee streets. Numerous police cars surrounded the vehicle, and the man was taken into custody without incident.

The man was arrested on charges of theft over $100,000 as well as driving under the influence. His bond was set at $5,000.

No one was injured, and no property was damaged during the incident.

Comments

LA_Ex 4 years, 6 months ago

rockchalk123-don't forget the ambulance was there on a medical emergency. While your friend was busy celebrating his 21st birthday, the paramedics were preparing to take someone to the emergency room. Now the time that could be spent taking this guy to the hospital is now wasted, waiting for another ambulance. Your friends actions could have life changing events for the patient that was delayed. Drunken actions are fine if the actions only hurt yourself. If they affect another person, it's inexcusable.

rockchalk123 4 years, 6 months ago

nobody was hurt, it was his 21st birthday and he got out of control. yes he should be punished, but cut him some slack. you've all done less than brilliant things while under the influence too, and if you say you haven't then you're lying. i know the guy personally and hearing about him doing such a huge crime was a total shocker, completely the opposite of the real him.

LA_Ex 4 years, 6 months ago

So if they shut down the ambulance, won't the batteries be dead from all the flashing lights? I guess they could turn them off, but I'm guessing they were put on there to warn people of an accident scene or a large truck in the middle of the roadway. I also wonder if there medications that need to be kept at a certain temperature. Are there batteries that are being charged for medical equipment? Do the cabs of the trucks have locks that are keyed differently than the back of the ambulance? There are a lot of doors on those things, would each one have to be unlocked individually? How much would it cost to retrofit an ambulance so all the doors unlock and lock at once? How many people will complain when that cost comes up? If I need an ambulance, I need it now. Keep it running, warm, unlocked and ready to go. I don't need the added chance that some guy looses the key while treating me in my house. I'm guessing that would be much more likely to happen than someone driving off with the truck while they are inside.

I love it when people call for a change of actions when one isolated incident happens. I'd say if it continues to be a reoccurring problem (which an isolated incident by definition isn't a reoccurring problem), then maybe policies should be changed.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

let's see. It is illegal to start up your car and leave it running to warm it up in winter..you can be fined..because someone might come along and steal you car..or a child could get in and drive it..and mentally disabled person..thus..the law was created to reduce the number of cases they had to prosecute. At least that was what was said back when the article about it came out.

Now...an ambulance is stolen while running..

Remember was it..last winter when I believe a sheriff deputy's vehicle was warming up in front of his house one morning, and was stolen along with his weapons and such? They found the car but not his weapons or his flack jacket, etc?

Brad Maestas 4 years, 6 months ago

Unbelievable. Why didn't this happen when I lived there?

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 6 months ago

There is no place like home CLICK CLICK CLICK, There is no place like home CLICK CLICK CLICK ....There is no place like CLICK CLICK CLANK , This is the Lawrence police come out with your hands up....

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

There is still no name, why? It surely isn't a sex crime. Sheriff's department website is back up though, so I found him there. He had only been 21 for a little over 24 hours. Although honeychild seems to think it is connected to KU. I haven't seen anything that states he was a KU student although it is an easy assumption to make in this town. So Mel, do you know something we don't? Not defending drinking KU students.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 6 months ago

i saw this on the wichita news today. yay KU.

Satirical 4 years, 6 months ago

Funniest comment: Boosh at 7:56 p.m. on Oct. 11

poppygirl 4 years, 6 months ago

We should give him a break, it was his b-day, what a way to celebrate!

acg 4 years, 6 months ago

Lol this made national news of the weird this a.m. on my browser. I'm sure in his drunken state it seemed like a good idea but seriously, what an idiot!!

iridebikesalot 4 years, 6 months ago

The things people do for booty calls...

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 6 months ago

Whoo.. nine hours of comment for someone to mention Lifeflight.. the comment trolls are slipping.

Kris_H 4 years, 6 months ago

It's just luck that nobody was hurt, if he was that drunk. I wouldn't want to be hit by one of those.

I have a "mental" story too...years ago a patient out strolling the grounds at Larned State Hospital stole a truck that was parked, running, keys in, doors unlocked, delivering milk to the cafeteria.

I understand he drove it across a couple of counties before they got him stopped. I doubt he had any idea where he wanted to go, just away from there!

I thought the goat story was hilarious, BTW. I can just see the critters nibbling on everything in the ambulance...:D

purplesage 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, now that I've been thoroughly scolded . . .There are idiots out there. It is prudent to take secuirty precautions. Nobody should be able to jump into an emergency vehicle of any sort and take off with it. The fact of the matter is, as this story proves, they will. So - take precautions. Which is the bigger problem? A few seconds to unlock a door or start the engine or no vehicle? That's all.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Next time steal a hearse. Doesn't make really any difference if it's on a 'hot run' or not...

Boosh 4 years, 6 months ago

Sooooo the guy has to get an attorney for making people chase an ambulance?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

triplegoddess13

Interesting that you take a comment that states environmental influences might have something to do with decisions a person makes, right or wrong (which by the way happens to every person on the planet every day) to be my entire take on the matter and infer I think no direct influence, such as his parents, had an impact on his life. Pretty big assumption you're making there. I don't always write a full summary of my opinion on every article, often only offering up some ideas for consideration.

For the most part, I intentionally give a very skewed snapshot of who I really am.

cheeseburger 4 years, 6 months ago

triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) says… It's called being drunk and stupid. He endangered the life of whomever was supposed to have that ambulance and wasted resources that could have been put to better use. I hope they make an example of him but somehow, I know this city won't.

I agree with you - with our lame D.A. Branson and worthless Judge Fairchild, what are the chances this joker gets anything but a slap on the wrist? After all, the guy who pointed a gun at four people at BK and robbed them got nothing but probation! No consequences = repeat offenders.

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

"The only story better than this was the patient at Oswatomie State Hospital that stole their fire truck a while back" 30+yrs ago, a story that probably never made it into the LJW, a man escaped from the mental ward at LMH (back when they had one) one night during a fire call. He was on foot when he came apon a KP&L truck running with the door unlocked. The driver was up on the light pole doing repairs when the guy jumped in and drove off with it. They caught him in a neighboring town.

triplegoddess13 4 years, 6 months ago

Multi-I'm right there with you! Let's just blame society for everything and it's all the TV's fault. His parents had nothing to do with his upbringing. Seriously?! It's called being drunk and stupid. He endangered the life of whomever was supposed to have that ambulance and wasted resources that could have been put to better use. I hope they make an example of him but somehow, I know this city won't.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 6 months ago

@ labmonkey

If he would have just pushed L3 when he got in the ambulance, he could have started the ambulance missions and the cops would have left him alone.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe this jerk wanted to get on "Wildest Police Chases" caught on video. Anyway he's been watching way too much TV.

stan_murphy 4 years, 6 months ago

I like the Broncos uniforms. I thought it was the Steelers at first. They should keep these unis.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 6 months ago

There is a generation gap here, while some are reminded of Grand Theft Auto, I'm thinking Mother, Juggs, and Speed.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

I do believe as a society, there is some responsibility for this. From birth, this young man has seen models on tv and movies of funny characters doing this, especially when drinking. And at the end, the movie is over, you get up to pee and grab another beer and a sandwich, watch another flick. No consequences.

Often, the offender is from a moderate, clean, small town where they know he was just drunk and he's not really a bad guy. Just a very smart good guy, who got too drunk because his girlfriend wouldn't accept that he wasn't ready to get married so she dumped him for a city boy that drives a city car.

Thus he, his dog and his pick up go downtown and have way too many. The pick up won't start, he sees the ambulance and says, "I'll just take that home, it's not far, Jeff and Larry won't mind". He knows he's a bit tipsy, so he drives slow. He's being very careful.

He sees Larry and Jeff in the rear view with Mike the Local Officer, lights flashing. He waves, knowing they are just coming to take the vehicle back and making sure he gets home alright.

And they do, because he's a good guy, who helps out at the football games, the Christmas parade. Last winter when Mrs. Smith's pipes broke he crawled under her house to fix them for free.

So nobody's going to 'throw the book at him' for being a little drunk because his girlfriend dumped him and he was too drunk to know better. They're going to take him home and put him in bed. Maybe someone stick around to make sure he stays there. Like the cute girl from the bar, his next girlfriend, the one he lives happily ever after with. Her dad is the doctor in the next town. She is in vet school and loves his dog.And she loves old trucks.

You've seen it over and over again. Or so many others.

Of course, once intoxicated, the brain uses these 'scenarios' to go on autopilot.

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry jonas_opines but Compton, Freeman, and the Fritzels already have all the police bribes, you have to wait awhile for them to regenerate.

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

**.....intoxicated man got into the ambulance and began driving away, heading westbound on 10th Street. The man, whom Hadl said believed he had no other means of transportation home, led police on a brief low-speed chase.

The chase began about 2:22 a.m. and ended a few minutes later at the intersection of 10th and Tennessee streets. Numerous police cars surrounded the vehicle and the man was taken into custody without incident.**

It's only a couple of blocks from Mass to Tenn. I can visualise it now, he veeeery slowly creeped down the block, waited at the stop light at 10th and Kentucky, proceeded to Tenn where the under staffed police surrounded him in numerous police cars.

I heard the guy had gotten his GED and is studying for his PHD to fast track into a police chief position. Any truth to that, JW?

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

These things bring big bucks south of the border. I heard a guy traded one for a semi-load of pot.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Labmonkey, I think we might be clones.

But he didn't need the cheat, there's a bunch of police bribes laying around, up some blind alleys and such.

SWJayhawk13 4 years, 6 months ago

I can't decide whether this story is absolutely hilarious or really sad. He's living out his Grand Theft Auto dreams! Too bad it was in real life...that will be one hangover that will suck to wake up to. I bet it'll give him some street cred in jail though, haha. I can see it now!

The only story better than this was the patient at Oswatomie State Hospital that stole their fire truck a while back.

labmonkey 4 years, 6 months ago

The only thing he did wrong was forget his cheat to remove the wanted stars. The cops would have quit chasing him, and he would have been free to pick up a prostitute to take his health score from 100 to 125.

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess they should have called in LifeFlight, or would he have stolen the helicopter?

Beer Guy 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like someone was playing Grand Theft Auto 4 alittle too much on their X-box

StrangerCreek 4 years, 6 months ago

So the best thing to do about the Health Care system is to do nothing? What a silly arguement. The GOP has spread so many lies. Sore losers. Thank goodness Palin didn't get in. What if she became VP and decided to quit that job?

Why can't we all work together?

del888 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey 1029 - Can you show me (not 'tell me') what proof you have that we will have no ambulance service. From what I inderstand and have actually read, the emergency services will benefit from the new health care plan. Did I miss something? Show me the proof...

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 6 months ago

At least he didn't steal the helicopter.

I_AM_AN_ANARCHIST 4 years, 6 months ago

1029 said.... "Speaking of ambulances though, just wait till Obams's socialism of the healthcare passes and there won't even be ambulances available or enough police to chase..."

Are you kidding me? The police, fire dept., water sanitation are all socialism. Shut-up and think for five seconds. Don't want the dreaded socialism? Start building fires in your back yard to purify your water, and stop using the roads that were paid for through tax dollars and gov't programs.

Hey I say repeal all socialist programs and it will be easier for me to come rob your house cause the cops aren't going to stop me, and then burn it to the ground cause the fire dept. isn't gonna put it out. I won't have any alternative cause I never got an education cause we shut down all those commie socialist schools.

sierraclub 4 years, 6 months ago

Why not lock the doors of a running ambulance and have an extra key? That is what the pizza guys do. You can never leave an unlocked running vehicle alone!! I bet the higher ups will have some a$$ chewing to do on monday.

Practicality 4 years, 6 months ago

Terrible crime. Just imagine if there would have been need for the ambulance right at that moment. They need to make an example out of this kid.

hedshrinker 4 years, 6 months ago

Back in the day, a rural female friend got in trouble during labor at home and called the ambulance, which not only appropriately stayed running in the driveway, but left the doors open, only to find the family's errant goats IN the ambulance exploring when they prepared to depart for the hospital!

pizzapete 4 years, 6 months ago

What a dumb thing to do. Hope the person it was called for is OK.

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

Strange, access to the Douglas County Sheriff's Department comes up as an error. Guess we can't look up his name.

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

Did they have to send another ambulance for the medical emergency, if so, make him financially responsible for that one too.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

snap, that being said, I'm beginning to wonder what a thread would look like without merrill's cut and paste.... probably pretty lonely

yeah, pay and spray would have saved that dude from getting caught.

I bet this guy gets a worse sentence than the probation that the guy that put the pistol in peoples faces at burger king drive through.................................................................

kusp8 4 years, 6 months ago

Hahahahaha. What a moron!!

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

Isn't the ambulance a city vehicle? If so, you can bet the city will not let him off with a slap on the wrist, or dropping the charges that is so famous in this town.He may still get probation, but I bet he also gets a hefty fine. At least charge him what it costs the rest of us for a "ride" in an ambulance. Maybe next time he'll take a cab.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm so glad that merrill has thread spammed his standard copy/paste here. (but not really)

Alabamastreet 4 years, 6 months ago

Agree with the comment a name should have been included in the story, but perhaps it isn't in the police report yet. But the paper needs to name the person ASAP so the AP wire story (which will be a re-write of this version) on this carries the name in all the papers where it runs. Consequences.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Kid should have played some Grand Theft Auto. You can't even take the emergency vehicles to the Pay and Spray, they turn you away 'cuz it's "too hot" for them. That should tell you something.

Merril = irrelevant. Talk about a poor hijack attempt.

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

Uh, yeah, a National Health Insurance plan will stop all ambulance theft. Will it stop linkamania?

thebcman 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't understand this paper's policy on printing people's names. If this had been a KU athlete, I'm pretty sure they would have printed the name of this idiot.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

We should be so proud to have such fine men living in town. Anyway, what happens if someone's life was lost because the ambulance was gone?

redmoonrising 4 years, 6 months ago

Believe me, in an emergency, you want that ambulance running and ready to go. A few seconds can make a difference.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 6 months ago

ALL I CAN DO IS LAUGH MY A_ _ OFF

Richard Heckler 4 years, 6 months ago

Prudent reasons why National health Insurance Insurance for All would be the fiscally prudent choice for all in America:

Never never never forget… It is the private medical insurance industry that cancels YOUR medical insurance AFTER taking YOUR MONEY for years.

Smart National Health Insurance WILL NOT cancel your coverage.

Smart National Health Insurance for All CANNOT be cancelled.

Bankruptcy due to medical bills CANNOT happen with Smart National Health Insurance.

Smart National Health Insurance = CHOICE across the board

Smart Medicare Insurance for All will not only improve our quality of life but also our wallets. Yes we would have more expendable cash for birthdays,Christmas, vacations and investments.

Smart National Health Insurance is fiscally prudent.

How much is the sick U.S. health care system costing you? http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2008/0508harrison.html

Smart National Insurance ends deductibles and co-payments.

Smart National Health Insurance will save $350 billion annually by eliminating the high overhead and profits of the private health insurance industry and HMOs according to the Congressional Budget Office.

National Health Insurance does not remove competition from the actual health care industry. It will be alive and well. Profits will be based on customer service and clinic performance based on the clients experience. This is my perception of competition.

Smart National Health Insurance http://www.healthcare-now.org/

Doctors for Single Payer http://www.pnhp.org/

Health Care In the USA http://www.dollarsandsense.org/healthcare.html

Unions for HR 676 http://unionsforsinglepayerhr676.org/union_endorsers

Organizations and Government Bodies Endorsing HR 676 http://www.pnhp.org/action/organizations_and_government_bodies_endorsing_hr_676.php

Consumer Reports On Health Care http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/health_reform/

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

autie, you get your wish.

Here are two images of a Ford Escort ambulance car N638 GFA

Cranes 4 years, 6 months ago

Purplesage, let's keep the focus where it needs to be....on the 21 year old who stole the ambulance. Leave EMS out of it, they do a great job and I want that ambulance to be warm and ready to go when I'm in need.

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

do they make ambulances out of ford escorts? Not even my cousin is that dumb.

slurms_makenzie 4 years, 6 months ago

purple sage, I hope you never have such an emergency that you need to have the ambulance already running when they load you up. Sometimes seconds really do save lives.

thinkagain 4 years, 6 months ago

I want the ambulance that comes for me to be kept running. No m

protocol change necessary. We protocol many things to death in this country.

purplesage 4 years, 6 months ago

You mean they leave these things running or with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked during calls? Sounds like time for a procedural update.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

Now if this were Ron White telling this story..

you'd all be LYAO, holdin' up signs and yelling 'Go Tater!'.

macon47 4 years, 6 months ago

i think i was that drunk once but i dont remember

kansasmutt 4 years, 6 months ago

1029 ) I bet money you cant tell anyone what is even on page 1 of the current health care reform plan . Did you know that the GOP has included a section covering EMS care that will give more money to areas that need help and those who dont will get even better training ? I am sorry to inform you that the GOP added death squads have been removed by the Dems .Too bad you and 99% of the republicans on the planet have not even read a page of what is and has been proposed. Keep listening to Mr. Steele and Rush for all your news.Just think , if this healthcare reform passes , you will end up with money in your pocket at the end of each month. Lower premiums, lower visit rates, lower basic care , lower rejection rate by your insurance provider and better all around care. Yea that would kinda suck to have all that. I hope your wife or mother doesnt get breast cancer and denied care with your curent provider as lots do now. I also hope you dont get the flu and end up needing care your provider doesnt cover or if you havent met your deductable and cant pay. This would be sad.

emptymind 4 years, 6 months ago

OH demon alcohol Sad memories I can't recall Who'd thought I would fall Prey to demon alcohol

Ray Davies...the Kinks

1029 4 years, 6 months ago

I bet this felt pretty "cool" at the time. Lazy kid.

Speaking of ambulances though, just wait till Obams's socialism of the healthcare passes and there won't even be ambulances available or enough police to chase those available abulances when they get stolen. May as well die in alleys without care while you wait on waiting lists, provided the death panels let you do that.

Ryan Wood 4 years, 6 months ago

A lot of witnesses now have a story to tell the rest of their lives.

NotASquishHead 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, that night just got a little expensive. Nothing like stealing a $350,000 dollar ambulance for the ride home.

Good way to finish off your college days... with a felony theft charge.