Archive for Friday, October 9, 2009

Court sends child-rapist case back to Franklin County for resentencing

October 9, 2009

— A Franklin County man who was found guilty of teaming up with his girlfriend to repeatedly rape the woman’s 7-year-old daughter could see his life sentence reduced to 40 years in prison, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court also sent back to Franklin County District Court another charge against Melvin Trautloff for a new trial.

Trautloff was convicted in 2008 on one count of rape, one count of aggravated criminal sodomy, one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child, and one count of sexual exploitation of a child.

Trautloff was found guilty of having sex in 2006 and 2007 with the 7-year-old girl, who was brought to him by the girl’s mother in exchange for lowering the payments of a car the mother had bought from Trautloff, according to the court opinion. The mother also helped undress the girl and took pictures at Trautloff’s request, the court opinion said.

The mother eventually pleaded guilty to several charges and she testified against Trautloff.

Trautloff was sentenced to life in prison on each count with no possibility of parole.

But Trautloff argued he didn’t meet the prior convictions required by Kansas statute for enhancing his sentences to life without parole.

He did have prior convictions from 1996 involving an 8-year-old girl and 9-year-old girl. But the state Supreme Court ruled that the statute was unclear in referencing “prior conviction event.” The Supreme Court ruled that the district court made a mistake in sentencing him to life without parole as a habitual offender on all the counts. Trautloff may be subject to a minimum sentence of 40 years in prison with the possibility of parole, the Supreme Court said.

The court ordered a new trial on the charge of sexual exploitation of a child, saying that the charge against Trautloff concerned whether he displayed photos of the child, while the jury was instructed to consider a wider charge of whether he promoted child exploitation.

“There exists a real possibility that the jury would have rendered a different verdict if the district court had instructed only as to displaying,” the court said.

Comments

SWJayhawk13 4 years, 6 months ago

Someone please remind me why we are even considering reducing his sentence? Scum like this should spend the rest of their natural lives behind bars. In my opinion, he is worse than the sh*t on the bottom of my shoe.

And why was the mother given less time? Yes, she wasn't the one that physically raped the little girl, but she might as well have, she willingly and knowingly put the little girl in the situation. Hell, she set the situation up, undressed her and took pictures! Had the mother not set this up, the little girl wouldn't have been raped! In my opinion, she is even more guilty than the man who raped the little girl!!!

“Because Trautloff is currently 43 years old, the difference between mandatory life and mandatory 40-year sentences is unlikely to be great,” the court said in sending the case back to Franklin County for re-sentencing." All I have to say to this? Boo hoo. He deserves a mandatory life sentence, he should never see the light of day again. He obviously has some type of prior history with abusing/exploiting children. He's done it before, he'll do it again, he should never get out of prison.

Leave him in general population, they'll show him how they treat child rapists in prison. Same goes for mom. Leave her in general pop too. What they go through is nothing compared to the horror this poor little girl has gone through and will have to live with for the rest of her life.

Monica Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

MY HEART GOES OUT TO THIS PRECIOUS PRECIOUS CHILD. TO HAVE HER "PROTECTOR" PUT HER IN THIS SITUATION AND MAKE HER FEEL LIKE SHE SOMEHOW DESERVED THIS, IS TRULY HEARTBREAKING. I SINCERELY PRAY THAT THIS LITTLE GIRL IS GETTING THE HELP SHE NEEDS TO UNDO THE DAMAGE HER EMBRYO DONOR HAS CAUSED AND SHE IS ABLE TO MOVE FORWARD WITH HER LIFE, WITH A WONDERFUL FUTURE AHEAD OF HER.

redmoonrising 4 years, 6 months ago

How sad that two adults, to gratify themselves, would take advantage of a child this way. I've always found child molesters to be at the bottom of the human scum scale.

mamaknows 4 years, 6 months ago

According to the Ottawa Herald http://otw.live.mediaspanonline.com/story/020708trial

The mother, who not only to pictures but also took part, accepted a plea agreement and was sentenced to 25.3 years in prison in exchange for testifying in the case against Trautloff.

hillbilly_jim 4 years, 6 months ago

Soap 4 years, 6 months ago

What kind of car was it??

Jeanette Kekahbah 4 years, 6 months ago

If the law won't keep us safe then it is up to us to keep ourselves safe.

barrypenders 4 years, 6 months ago

Use the progressive Polanski defense. Progessive use of the principles of C.L.a P. should do him fine.

Darwin bless you all

Whathefk 4 years, 6 months ago

our justice penalties are NOTHING compared to what is in store for their soul after they pass.

misslawrence 4 years, 6 months ago

BOTH THESE POS'S NEED TO HURRY UP AND GO TO PRISON AND SEE HOW IT FEELS.,.,.,I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE OUTCOME,.,as for the Little Girl, I hope she is in Therapy and with a good PROTECTIVE FAMILY THAT LOVES HER.,.,,.I wish I could see what these two look like, because I would sure take 7-9 years of A#$ whooping clean out of both of them.,,.,.but I know the 'Hungry Inmates' will be welcoming them with open arms.,.,.,,.,..,,..,,..,,.,.karma is something else,.,.you leave someone to the 'wolves' you'll definitely be left to some yourself.,,.,.,.,.,.,..,.,

Christine Anderson 4 years, 6 months ago

Time for some good old-fashioned inmate justice! I truly hope that word gets out where these two are imprisoned. If I were still a jail nurse, and happened to see either of these pieces of scum getting their just reward, I would not see or hear a thing.

bigmike 4 years, 6 months ago

I would rid the world of these 2 in a heartbeat and not feel for a second. This is the worst thing I've ever heard!!!

porch_person 4 years, 6 months ago

I have very, very little sympathy for scum like this.

Scratch that. I have no sympathy at all for these two. This disgusts me. Both should die in prison.

I pray the child is getting therapy for as long as it takes.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

Supreme Court ruled no death penalty for child rapist. Plus the theory is you should be "rewarded" for not killing the victim by rotting in a cell for 20-30-40 years.

acg 4 years, 6 months ago

It's time to execute more of these scumbags to send a message to the rest of them. He should die and so should that disgusting mother. I actually think she's more disgusting than him. Sicko pervs are everywhere but a mother who would do this for a lower car payment? OMFG!! I swear something in my head just popped....

Jane 4 years, 6 months ago

It's time to stop the shame involved with being a victim.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

From the Ottawa newspaper....

"The woman, who is not named here because identifying her could identify her daughter, accepted a plea agreement carrying a sentence of 25.3 years in prison in exchange for testifying in the case against Trautloff"

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

It's unbelievable that there are people like this in the world. You here about them in the news somewhere else.

rbwaa 4 years, 6 months ago

life in prison is the only sentence child rapists should get since they will continue to rape if/when free. if we sentence them all to life in prison we might eventually get rid of them. i agree with the above opinions of the mother; she is depraved and needs to spend serious time in prison for her betrayal of her daughter.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

Please tell me she did decades of time, and not some lame "time served"/probation crap. Her sin is far greater. She exchanged her daughter for "reduced car payments"?!?!?!?!? If it were for drugs we could understand that her judgment was impaired by chemicals... but for car payments?

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 6 months ago

And what about the mother? She may have pleaded to a lesser charge and helped convict this slime ball, but I hope she also is serving serious time. I hope that the child is getting the help that she needs.