Archive for Tuesday, October 6, 2009

City officially breaks ground on Burroughs Creek Trail

Construction is under way on the Burroughs Creek Trail and Linear Park in East Lawrence.

October 6, 2009

Even though construction is already underway, city leaders gathered Tuesday to officially break ground on the new Burroughs Creek Trail and Linear Park in East Lawrence.

“It’s a great cooperation,” said Mayor Rob Chestnut. “It was once a dream. It took a lot of work and a lot of time and we got there.”

The trail runs along a former railroad route that runs just west of Haskell Avenue from 11th to 23rd Streets. It will feature crossing lights, a raised crosswalk, and a pedestrian bridge that will connect the trail with Parnell Park.

“I think it’s great for bicycles and just walkability in the East Lawrence neighborhood,” said Chestnut.

Work on the trail started at the beginning of October and is scheduled to be completed by the end of the year.

Comments

Sulla 5 years, 9 months ago

I always find it amusing when liberals gush over WS Burroughs: he was a gun nut, union-hating, let-the-market decide, get the government outta here, libertarian. And he was a big snob like a lot of trustfunder rich kids of any political hue are. But it's fitting to name a trail by a park after him since people do drugs in parks and there was always a trail of needle-marks down that old faker's arms...

bigdave 5 years, 9 months ago

I love it the thug trail! Come one and all to rape and rob!!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

and, when the drunken/druggy shelter moves out on east 23rd (former Don's location) there'll be a very large number of walkers on this "trail." thanks.

OutlawJHawk 5 years, 9 months ago

And in other news, the city cannot find funds to house the homeless, has sanitation workers getting paid a full time wage for part time work, started construction on every major street conveniently and logically just when 25,000 students show up, and continues to see manufacturers and businesses leave Lawrence.

Let's build a bike trail, so the world feels alright...or is it a bike trail?

Oh, and what was the cost for the "Burroughs" path and future "trail of tears" for the Lawrence homeless and mentally ill as they make their way to their well-placed future reservation on the east side of Lawrence?

Amy Heeter 5 years, 9 months ago

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage." William S. Burroughs

Joseph Jarvis 5 years, 9 months ago

LJW, how 'bout a map?

beerguy: good luck in your fight against history. let us know how that goes for you.

Sigmund 5 years, 9 months ago

beerguy (Anonymous) says… "So they name a park after a guy that killed another man, and then bribed his way out of jail." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Burroughs#Mexico_and_South_America

That "guy" Burroughs shot was Joan Vollmer, his wife and mother of his kids. In 1951, Burroughs shot and killed Vollmer in a drunken game of "William Tell" at a party above the American-owned Bounty Bar in Mexico City. I would have been happier if they named a sewage treatment plant or the new homeless wet shelter after him.

bigdave 5 years, 9 months ago

Reality_Check (Anonymous) says…Yeah, rapists and robbers just love to go for walks and bike rides.

They sure do!!!! For victims!!!!!

Isaias Shannon 5 years, 9 months ago

So is this really a trail or a concrete path such as the SLT? Surface makes a big difference, and if the city puts in another concrete slab, it will be pretty worthless for runners and serious walkers. Does anyone know what it will be made of?

Amy Heeter 5 years, 9 months ago

Why is it that people on this forum have to make such a fuss about such a simple thing as a trail? According to Norman Mailer and others: William Burroughs was one of the greatest writers of the time. Few people have lead a life of perfection. It was the adversity that Mr. Burroughs experienced that enabled him to share with us. It is quite fitting that the Lawrence community honor him with a trail named for him.

quimby 5 years, 9 months ago

who cares what it's named - i've already used the completed portion of the trail and have seen others use it, as well. we're happy to have it. thank you, lawrence, for this.

backyardwino 5 years, 9 months ago

It amazes me up how many people come out of the woodwork to complain about something that a lot of good people worked years on completing. . . I agree they could have named the trail something different (and probably still could), but the creek is already named Burroughs Creek (although I would suppose some would want that renamed) and since this trail runs along it. . . I know, hard to grasp, eh. There have been public notices of meetings dating back to 2005 for this project--dare I say you had your chance. I get it though; some people have to complain for complaining's sake and it would go against some personal constitution to harbor their negativity. Lame.

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

I am glad the trail is happening, I remember Burroughs walking back and forth from his home to Dillons. He changed the history of literature. I think his honoring should not mean others should not be honored. Get off the whiners stump and get City Hall to recognize people you think should be remembered. Or don't wait for the government to recognize your own history. I think there should be benches or bus shelters, maybe if you actually cared you could start a bench system to memorialize the many people that have made a difference in East Lawrence. I like the mural on the ball stadium on Delaware, it is pretty interesting. You could start with a blog. We don't do enough to recognize the non chamber types in this town.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 9 months ago

Let us know when you set your plans to honor those on your list into action. I would be thrilled to participate in a memorial for the for Vernon and Jessie Branson. I would suggest something for the developmentally disabled or maybe some work with the historic building commission or you might want to consider working with Warm Hearts since Jessie started that program here. Vernon and Jessie were also avid recyclers You could join the sustainability board I believe there will be some vacancies soon.

As for the others on your list many of those names already have things named for them. If you want more than by all means hop to it instead of complaining about the work others have put into this particular project.

Jimo 5 years, 9 months ago

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

These transportation trails are a good use of tax dollars. With all of the concern for healthier life styles this could be known as Wellness Avenue by Burroughs and thanks so much to all who facilitated the movement and kept it alive.

These transportation trails will provide safer places from traffic in order that kids will stay outdoors more as so many of us did while growing up. Outdoors is inexpensive and healthy.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

I would love to see trail be extended through Mary's Lake with a Haskell campus spur to the park at 31st and the Haskell-Baker wetlands.

Then back north through the "warehouse district" with trail intersections at 10th,9th,8th and 7th streets. Perhaps some employees in that area would be encouraged to take a walk during break times. This area will be completely rehabilitated one day so trail would certainly compliment that project.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"Just wait until the finally finish the Mao Tse-Tung Trafficway through the Baker Wetlands!"

puddleglum 5 years, 9 months ago

blueharley-that's funny.

cheeseburger- My vote is for a compton tower. as long as it is taller than the fritzel hotel. (still can't believe that he let himself get beat by the fritzels)

platypus 5 years, 9 months ago

Shhhhhh. What's that I hear?...oh, just my property value hitting rock bottom. For those of you who love this trail so much, I invite you to come on over and help keep it clean and safe. City doesn't have the funds or the plans to do it so guess what it's going to look like in a few months! To those of you who have your eyes shut to it being a super place for drugs, crimes, and homeless to sleep - WAKE UP!! I live next to the trail and it already happens. bigdave and beardedgnome hit the nail on the head!

BTW - It's going to be concrete. They wanted it to be ADA and stroller, etc. friendly.

whynaut 5 years, 9 months ago

“I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it.”

• William S. Burroughs

Sulla 5 years, 9 months ago

Yez, Bill Burroughs was a real tough guy. I guess any catamite with a gun can be a 'real man'. LOL

Jimo 5 years, 9 months ago

"That name will only be workable if it turns out that the trafficway doesn't work at all, destroys the wetlands, and in the process accidentally kills a huge number of people using it."

I was thinking of a younger anti-Japanese Mao before the full decadence, murderousness, and opiate addiction set in. Sort of like the pre-adolescent Burroughs.