Archive for Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Charges filed in delivery robberies

October 6, 2009

Charges were filed Monday against three men accused of robbing two delivery drivers at gunpoint in Lawrence, Douglas County prosecutors said.

Randall Lewis, of El Dorado, and Royjamian Haulcy and Robert Howard, both of Lawrence, face various charges of aggravated robbery. They made their first appearances in district court Monday.

Police arrested the men Friday morning at an apartment complex at 3100 Ousdahl. They’re accused of robbing a 25-year-old Pizza Shuttle delivery driver on Wednesday and a 19-year-old Jimmy John’s delivery driver Sept. 26.

Lewis and Haulcy, both 19, were each charged with two counts of aggravated robbery. Howard, 21, was charged with one count of aggravated robbery. The suspects are being held in jail and are scheduled to return to court later this month.

Comments

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

i would like to say as a single mom of 2 teenage boys that no matter how hard u work at raising good kids, life situations and struggles may lead them to make poor choices. maybe before everyone who reads this story, may try to learn all the facts before condeming them to death. i am by no means condoning their behavior, i am simply saying that this country makes a huge fuss about christianity. and part of being a christian involves understanding and forgiveness. i happen to know for a fact that the gun belonged to the 21 yr old who handed the gun to one of the 19 yr olds while he and the other 19 yr old assulated the victims. the 19 yr old holding the gun happens to be my son. a boy who graduated high school and went to college to be a sports medicine doctor. it just so happens that i could not afford his tution this semester and he had a little too much time on his hands and got involved with the wrong crowd. my son has never been in trouble before and he is definitely not on drugs. and just because he held the gun, doesnt mean he is violent. he needs to be punished for his role in this despecable act. but he also needs help to figure out why he involved himself in this type of behavior, when he clearly was not raised in this manner. he cooperated completely and was honest with investigators. so please stop judging without all the facts. my son is a loving, caring person who would under normal circumstances, lend a helping hand to anyone who needed it. if u need to judge someone, judge me for not finding a way to pay for his schooling. because i would bet my life, that if he was still in school, he wouldve never gave these other 2 guys the time of day. he got lost temporarily and i will fight to my death to put him back on the right track. to all the non-judgemental people reading this, please keep him in your prayers. with no criminal background, he deserves a chance to redeem himself to God and to the people he hurt. thank you for listening.

Wichitan 5 years, 9 months ago

Your comment is pretty funny, seeing as that once a criminal, always a criminal. Yes, your son may have made a mistake but I do believe that you should not discount all the factors, I understand you are going to want to defend your son. But, I have access to facebook on both of the suspects, assuming your son is Randall and I know quite a bit of things about Royjamian (aka BJ). I do believe that your son and him attended school at one time, and according to Facebook it seems as though your son may have not been involved in but did do drugs, I am sorry that your nieve. Sad situation for everyone, but don't make your son out to be as innocent as you think that he is until you know the facts. I have also heard that Royjamian was up in Lawrence dealing drugs, this may be incorrect but I would not be the least bit surprised. Though im not one hundred percent sure on whom your son is yeas he was with the wrong crowd. But your son should know right from wrong and being in the wrong crowd is not an excuse for armed robbery. At 19 years old you know wrong from right. Sorry Mom.

nomorebobsplease 5 years, 9 months ago

concerned mom - Questions for you. Was your son working at all? If not, why? There are jobs - altho not necessarily cool or fun jobs. But it's work, and that is the honest way to get money - heck, maybe HE could have been one of many delivery drivers here in Lawrence.... My other question to you is - did he turn himself in? Or did the police come to find him? That makes a difference to me as to whether he actually repented his involvement or just got caught and NOW repents.
I hope for your sake and for his that he can get back on the right track. But for all your efforts - it has got to be his decision to do so.

pasenuit 5 years, 9 months ago

i understand concerned mom...but holding the gun to another humans skull, takes some thought processing. it happens that the skull the gun was held to was my son in law, who is hard working, two jobs. i believe the law should follow the rules and decide accordingly. all the guns in this country, no wonder there are so many unnecessary deaths.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

dear pasenuit, i would like to say how very sorry i am that your son in law had to go through this horrible crime. i never said that my son should not have consequences for his actions. i was addressing all the ignorant people, or should i say uninformed people who are asking that my son be put to death or that his life should be over and he doesnt deserve help to change his way of life. i hate that anyone should have to go through what your son in law experienced. it sickens me. and from the depths of my soul, i sincerely apologize. i will pray for him to be able to recover and resume his normal life. dear wichitan, just remember, WHAT YOU HEAR - IS ALL YOU KNOW! if you wasnt there, why would you assume the worst? why would you wish bad on my son? and most importantly, why are you logged in anonymous? if you know so much then maybe you should be talking to crimestoppers and not me. it seems that your information may not be too reliable. it sounds like you may just be a scourned woman, maybe rejected by one of these young men. get a life and stay out of ours.you represent no one in this matter. not the victim or the accused. just a nosey person with nothing better to do.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey concernedmom... Did you know your son made the Shuttle driver lay down on the ground after pressing the gun to his head and stealing not only his money but his cell phone too? Did you know your son cocked the gun so that the driver would think he was going to shoot him if he moved? Did you know your son was totally and completely heartless when the driver told your son he has a wife and was just trying to make a living? Did you know that driver had to pay to buy a new phone with the money your son didn't steal? Do you know your son did all of this for $80 ($20 after divided by four people) in cash and some pizza? Did you know your son ran from the police when they went to arrest him? Frankly I hope your son has nightmares about what is happening and going to happen to him, while those delivery drivers sleep in peace, safe from scum like YOUR son!

Wichitan 5 years, 9 months ago

Lovin it thevoiceofreason, couldn't agree more with your comment. And no concernedmom I'm actually an EDUCATED male from wichita thank you. Seems that you are quite ignorant seeing as that you are expecting everything to be okay for your son. Big whoop you say he didn't have a record, I fail to believe that, especially by seeing the things he chose to discuss on his facebook page. I cannot wait until this news hits wichita! It will soon :) I don't feel sorry for your son at all, a crime is a crime and he should do the time. I hope that those 4 counts of agg. Robbery are hitting home for him. And not to mention no bail. I'm sorry for being heartless but your son is a heartless thug and you seem to support him so much. Yes, he is your son but you don't acknowledge his crime.

Wichitan 5 years, 9 months ago

Thevoiceofreason kudos to you for that post. And concerned mom learn proper english before posting to defend your son. And I am an EDUCATED male from wichita nice stab on the rejected female though, made my day. I hope your son has been humbled by 4 charges of aggravated robbery, and no bail so he can just sit day after day and think about how stupid his actions were. I am only singling out your son because of you ignorance of defending his actions. He's a criminal mom, he doesn't deserve freedom.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

you dont know all the facts. are u in anyway related to this case? no so please mind your own business. he does have a bail you uninformed male. please dont forget the great burger king bandit right there in lawerence, 4 counts and 3 years probation. you dont know what happened, you were not there. my son will not be the example. get a life, you have no cause to worry yourself with my son, dont you have anything better to do?

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Back to forum rule (of thumb) #1 and 2

No good will come from reading the comments associated with you or the people close to you.

No good will come from creating a profile solely to defend yourself or the people close to you.

I think I might make a blog about this. . . .

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey concernedmom... I know all about this case... and everything I do know makes me think your son and his friends are first degree pieces of s***. Your son especially so considering he was the one holding the gun. You spoke of christianity earlier, well you might wanna pray those drivers don't sue for damages, otherwise your son might have to get a job! O, and ask him what part of 'thou shalt not steal' he didn't understand...

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

hey voice of reason- explain to me the difference between my son and the burger king bandit? he put a gun to 4 peoples heads.my son has had a job since he was 16 yrs old. anybody who really knows him knows this is totality out of his character. in other words, a horrible choice that he is greatly remorseful for. you dont know him and we really dont care what you think. people make mistakes, some bigger than others, that doesnt make him a monster. and if the victims sue, then he will have to pay the price. he is no stranger to employment. put yourself in my shoes and tell me that you would not support your own flesh and blood. you people are doing alot of selective reading, i never said that he should not be punished. i am so glad that you so called christians have no say so in what happens to my son. the judge and the prosecuter have the knowledge of my sons past and ultimately decide his fate. and what ever happens, real christians will pray that my son gets his life back on track. hateful people like you are the scumbags that pretend to be christians just because you make different type of mistakes and go to church every sunday for redemption for all the dirty, evil way you behaved during the week.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

thank you jonas-opines for the very wise words of advice. i am really devasted with whats going on right now and i try to do like you said. but it is very hard. i didnt raise my boy that way and everybody who really knows us are just as devasted. he made poor choices that he is going to have to pay the price. but these people are acting like they know my boy and in all reality, it could happen to anybody and until you walk a day in my shoes, it makes them feel better to judge someone they dont even know. they are not the judge and they need to leave my boy alone. but i am going to try real hard to not let these idiots get to me. only god can judge me and mine. those people are unimportant. thank you again.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 9 months ago

I am supporting my own flesh and blood you dolt! And btw REAL Christians will pray that punishment is given and justice is received.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

real christians dont pray for punishment. god does not punish. learn your bible. im done talking to idiots who have no influence in this case. peace be with you and keep karma on your mind, because it is a force to be reckoned with. i hope you and yours never have to go through this, and if you do, i hope you never come in contact with evil people like you. now move on and leave me and mine alone. you never answered the question, what is the difference between the guy who robbed 4 people in burger king drive thru and my son? let me guess, burger king bandit is a white man? am i on to something? please be aware that i am very aware of the racist atmosphere of lawerence kansas. and if my son gets any different treatment than the burger king bandit, please believe lawerence, ks. will have more national attention than when ku won the national championship. dont underestimate me please. go away.

The_Voice_of_Reason 5 years, 9 months ago

One: the burger king guy is a black man (his picture is in one of the stories) Two: your son commited two first degree felonies within five days of each other. Three: Lawrence is the liberal capital of KS and is one of the least racist spots in the midwest. And four: getting attention for your son being thrown in prison for a few years after he robbed two people at gun point within five days??? Get real lady

Wichitan 5 years, 9 months ago

concernedmom give it up, you trying to defend Randall on here will not get you anywhere. And if you were calling me a racist, think again, I voted for Obama thank you. I find it hilarious that you are trying to defend on this, no one cares to be straight up with you, yeah sorry your son messed up but I guarantee you that everyone that reads this story does not feel sorry for him.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

wichitan why are you still talking to me? do you know my son? and one more time, i am not saying that my son does not deserve to be punished. why is that the only thing you people get out of my comments? why do you feel the need to make me feel like crap for being concerned for the child i gave birth to and mind you, struggled like hell to raise him by myself with no child support or welfare? there is no difference between my son and the burger king bandit. except he put a gun to 4 people and my son allegedly put a gun to 2 people. if you ask me, but of course you people think im uneducated, but i do know 4 is greater than 2.i was not asking anyone to feel sorry for my child. all i was saying that maybe judging someone when you dont know all the facts is not the christian way. real christians know people get lost and they can be found again, big deal you voted for obama. you might as well say "some of my best friends are black". you say once a criminal, always a criminal. i say once a racist, always a racist. wouldnt you like people to think you have the capability to evolve and change for the better? please stop taking only what you want to hear out of my comments, you say you are educated, well stop selective reading. i am also educated, and i know how to look and empathize with everyone involved.

rcku 5 years, 9 months ago

Obviously anyone who reads this article agrees that what they did wasn't right and they do deserve the appropriate punishment for what they did. I fully support that they do belong in jail and should face further consequences.

I do not, however, agree with the treatment that concernedmom is receiving. All she is saying is that she is grieving for her son and was probably side swiped with shock that he would be involved in such an action. My heart goes out to her as she is probably in a very bad place right now and seriously needs a support system. Your childrens actions do not represent how they were raised. The hardest part about being a parent is raising your child, watching them grow and letting them go.

It is not up to us to judge other people and calling someone's son a piece of s*** is not only inappropriate, hurtful and cruel but is not the 'christian' way you speak of. I do pray for your son-in-law that he had to go through a life traumatizing experience, but I believe we should also pray for the ones who did the act as they have done wrong.

We shouldn't judge or call people names and attack a poor woman who didn't even commit the crime, but clearly is lost in the fog and is probably being extremely emotional right now. Her son is the one who did the crime and not her and you should feel ashamed that you are attacking her. concernedmom my prayers go to you and your family as well as the others involved in this.

What I find humorous about these posts mostly come from Wichitan. Facebook is a social network site and the fact that you can see their posts and know certain information about them means you are friends with them on facebook which means you have to be friends with them in person. I also think it is very odd that you state you know Royjamian enough to know his nickname of BJ and you state they do drugs and I believe I read somewhere of dealing drugs.

Also, as you state this news has not hit Wichita in which case you reside in. Does this mean you may possibly be good friends with them to the extent that maybe...you are their supplier to the drugs that are being introduced to the Lawrence community?

How is it that you know so much about these guys and yet your stipulations have no basis or foundation? If you state that concernedmom's son was such good friends with these kids and they are in fact a bad crowd...wouldn't that make you part of that bad crowd since you so clearly are good enough friends to be friends with them on a social networking site?

Just saying.

Concernedmom prayers are coming your way and I truly do have to sympathize for you that you are having to go through this. I do hope that your son and the other boys do truly regret their decisions and can find their way back to the correct path. Most of all I hope they know and understand how their decisions are not only effecting the victims, their families, and their own lives but also the pain they have caused to the ones that love them.

concernedmom 5 years, 9 months ago

dear rcku, thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers. you hit the nail on the head with your comments. i was blind- sided. i taught my child right from wrong. thank you and god bless.