Archive for Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bert Nash center to offer screenings for depression

October 6, 2009

Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center plans to participate in National Depression Screening Day.

It is offering free screenings from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the center on the first floor of the Community Health Facility, 200 Maine St.

Information about depression and support groups also will be available.

According to Bert Nash officials, one in four women and one in 10 men will experience depression at some point during their lifetime. Two-thirds of those suffering from the illness do not seek the necessary treatment.

For more information, call Bert Nash at 843-9192. A depression symptom quiz is available online at bertnash.org

Comments

ralphralph 4 years, 11 months ago

It wouldnt' do any good; I'm such a piece of .... Oh, never mind. It doesn't matter anymore.

kittycat 4 years, 11 months ago

The funny thing about depression is, given the state of some people's lives, they'd be crazy NOT to be depressed. So which is better? Crazy??? Depressed???

somedude20 4 years, 11 months ago

I think that most people who work have a little depression in them. Good thing that this is Lawrence and a large amount of people here do not work (what does that peace sign guy do for loot and no way that the lady who play the maracas makes enough bread to feed that tall, scary, Jesus looking dude) wait wait wait is this a screen for neurosis or depression?

rbwaa 4 years, 11 months ago

....this is depressing...can anybody tell me if i passed the quiz?

Shane Garrett 4 years, 11 months ago

Everyone is Crazy. It is just a matter of to what degree! But depression is no joke. Laying on the couch all day watching the HLN network.....eating..... sleeping.....not paying bills.....too many pills....just don't feel like doing anything. And yes there are a lot of depressed people in Larryville.

Newell_Post 4 years, 11 months ago

If you find anybody who is NOT depressed, let me know. I'd like to meet them.

lawrenceishome 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow, I didn't know we had so many comedians on this board?

Do you all really think you're that funny to make sarcastic remarks about depression screening? The ignorance some of y'all are showing is precisely why people do not want to seek treatment...because they fear they will be judged by others. The occasional "blues" or just being upset for a few days IS NOT clinical depression. I've had my best friend who I am reminded with everyday the seriousness of depression.