Archive for Sunday, October 4, 2009

LMH gets new cardiology practice

Lawrence Memorial Hospital intends to move its cardiology practice to the second floor of the new medical building, above, at the northwest corner of Fourth and Maine streets.

October 4, 2009

Soon, Lawrence Memorial Hospital will have its own cardiology practice — and be able to handle heart attack patients every day of the year.

On Nov. 1, Cardiovascular Consultants, a Kansas City, Mo.-based practice, will sever its 15-year tie with Lawrence. However, four cardiologists from that group will remain in Lawrence and form an LMH-affiliated practice — Cardiovascular Specialists of Lawrence.

When Cardiovascular Consultants decided to pull out of Lawrence, it was clear its departure would leave a vacuum.

So four physicians — Roger Dreiling, Michael Hajdu, John Hiebert and Michael Zabel — decided to become LMH employees.

“We’d rather stay in Lawrence,” said Dreiling, who for the last year has handled LMH emergency cases and is on-call 24 hours a day.

On Dec. 1, a fifth doctor will join the group. Like Dreiling, Dr. Tapas “Joey” Ghose is an interventional cardiologist, who can handle emergencies, putting in stents and performing angioplasties. So the hospital will have a sufficient number of cardiologists to handle care locally, reducing the number of patients sent to Kansas City hospitals.

That’s good news for patients, Dreiling said, because heart attacks are like babies — “they come at any time.”

LMH President and CEO Gene Meyer said he’s hopeful the transition for patients is seamless.

“It will allow for this group of cardiologists, many of whom are the same ones who have been here anyway, to remain based in Lawrence to provide consistent coverage and probably better coverage for our patients,” Meyer said.

“There are going to be some things that we can’t do in Lawrence, and we’ll arrange for patients to be treated where its most appropriate.”

Comments

Mike Edson 5 years, 2 months ago

I second that. I am not exactly sure how LMH benefits the Lawrence community.

heybluekc 5 years, 2 months ago

wagonburner23 5 years, 2 months ago

What about the people that have to now commute to K.C. or find a differant job? Are they hiring all of the CVC employees?

GardenMomma 5 years, 2 months ago

There have been ads for RNs at LMH for several weeks now, not "all of a sudden" to appear with this article alone.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

for once I agree with Smitty. got the letter too.
have personal experience with three of these docs, and they are the best.

if the big group was gonna pull out of Lawrence, I'm just very happy that LMH and these docs stepped up. sounds like in terms of emergency cardiac care, things will in fact go beyond what has been available in Lawrence up to now.

Maniac, once again I'm afraid your foil hat is malfunctioning. you need to see a professional.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

10 September 2009 at 12:02 p.m.

Suggest removal Permalink Anonymous Machiavelli_mania (Anonymous) says…

There will never be a cure for cancer until big pharma companies stop making money on treating cancer. In fact, the cures are already out there and known to some, but you don't hear about them.

---oh wait, is that the Twilight Zone theme I hear?
Mania doesn't want to admit that cancer survival rates in U.S. far outstrip those of UK/Canada, precisely because of the profit motive.

justtired 5 years, 2 months ago

the practice will stay the same from what i have heard--and some of the staff are staying.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

Yep, got the same letter too. My 74 yr. old mom and I share the same cardiologist. LOL. Here's a tidbit, folks. All of these docs are extremely competent. However, if bedside manner is something that matters to you, yikes! One of these fellas is a brilliant dr., but his bedside manner sucks!! My fear is that if my regular dr. is not available, I might get stuck with seeing the one partner who I would rather not. He may have mellowed. (Let us pray) I just hope his chart-throwing days are over. Anyone who's worked LMH is going to know who I'm referring to.

dr_k 5 years, 2 months ago

I've personally been administered by two of these drs. and think they might be fully competent, but they have no ability to relate to patients on a human level. I've also had a really bad intervention experience with another doctor in that group. They struggle with explanations and questions. I've had much better experiences with the drs. at KU Med. They don't seem to even have the ability to fake that they care. I don't expect them to attend my funeral after my final heart attack, but I don't get the feeling that they would even send a card with stamped signatures to the family, just a bill.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

Cheesehead, please PM me with the name of that particular doc if you don't mind. I think I know who it is, and though he's a real bastid, he's one big reason I'm alive today.

I should add that my experience with the lawrence office nurses is very positive too. Sally, Sue, Gayle, et al, do a good job.

Maniac, uh calling somebody an alkey is insulting somebody dear. I've been criticizing the content of your posts, your perspective.

you think I'm the same as Jonathan? lmao! please discuss that with Marion Lynn, and you two really can get new foil hats together, as a group rate!

also I'll note Maniac you are intensely offensive regarding LMH above. hmmm, criticizing others is a symptom of alcoholism, eh Maniac? your house have a mirror?

Jester56 5 years, 2 months ago

There seems to be no foreseeable end to LMH expansion, does there? Yet, people will continue to Life-Flight'ed to Kansas City hospitals and rape victims will likely still be referred to Stormont-Vail in Topeka.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, before I "signed on the dotted line" I asked MY cardiologist if I could still be taken to St. Lukes in the event of another heart attack....once he said "yes", i felt safe in signing.....(hopefully not my life away)

Bob Forer 5 years, 2 months ago

My elderly father has been a patient of this group for nearly forty years. He started off with a now-retired doctor at St. Lukes, and switched to a Lawrence doctor from the group upon the retirement of his long-term heart specialist. Based on my experience, all I can say is that these gentlemen are the best.

My father's father died of a massive heart attack at age sixty. His older brother had a near fatal attack at age fifty, and a fatal one at sixty. His younger brother had quadruple bypass at an early age, and a fatal heart attack at 75. Dad is 83 and physically, in great shape. The dementia will probably kill him before his coronary system fails, which I attribute, in part to the fine care he has received from this group of cardiologists. And for the bedside manner, who cares? Dr. Zabel is personable enough, and besides, it my job to provide the cheer and good vibes portion of his treatment. I don't care if they make $500,000 plus a year. All I give a darn about are the services provided, and they are top notch.

kuwxlady 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm remaining hopeful about this, and that is will bring some good changes.

I had a heart attack about a year and a half ago, and I was told it was "unspecific chest pains" when I was taken to LMH (probably didn't think that a 26 year old patient knew what she was talking about). I saw my heart specialist at KU Med and they confirmed that I actually had a heart attack. That's a life threatening mistake!

So I hope this will only bring good changes to the hospital and to the community. I've even thought about moving to KC just so I could be closer to my heart doctor

Bob Forer 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow, kuwxlady, thats fricking incredible. Did the ER doctor not do an EKG, and then follow up with a series of enzyme test to see if you had had a heart attack?. While rare, its not completely unheard of for somebody your age to have a coronary, and given you complaint of chest pains, some tests to check for a coronary attack were indicated.