Archive for Saturday, October 3, 2009

Law enforcement searching for suspect after accident

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies were being assisted by other law enforcement agencies and a helicopter in a search for a man who fled the scene of a single car crash near Lecompton.

October 3, 2009, 2:10 p.m. Updated October 3, 2009, 4:51 p.m.

Law enforcement officials searching for suspect after accident

Law enforcement officials were searching for a suspect after a one-vehicle accident on Highway 40 in Lecompton. The suspect reportedly fled on foot into the nearby cornfields. Enlarge video

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies were assisted Saturday by other law enforcement agencies and a helicopter in a search for a man who fled the scene of a single-car accident near Lecompton.

The crash came after Douglas County sheriff’s deputies were sent to investigate a report of a “suspicious” vehicle traveling on U.S. Highway 40.

Douglas County Undersheriff Steve Hornberger said deputies attempted to stop the vehicle about 12:15 p.m. but were unsuccessful.

Hornberger said deputies did not directly pursue the vehicle. He wouldn't explain why the sheriff's department called in a helicopter and deputies with rifles to search for the suspect.

A short time later, in the 100 block of Highway 40, near the Shawnee-Douglas County line, the suspect’s vehicle left the road and struck a tree.

The driver of the vehicle fled the scene.

Deputies, assisted by Kansas Highway Patrol troopers, attempted to locate the individual but had not found the suspect Saturday evening. The suspect is described as a heavyset black man wearing a green sweatshirt.

A report was later made that the suspect was spotted along Interstate 70 near mile marker 193 and that he was picked up by a passing vehicle, according to the Kansas Turnpike Authority.

Comments

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

Equality, ya gotta love it!!

There is a major concern that was stated above by MYOB @7:53 pm. Guns pulled on the kids doing farm work in a field....so my guess is the kids were all fat black men wearing green sweatshirts and no pants, running like he!! for the nearest turnpike. Of course the gun totting military style chase was legally "in hot pursuit." I don't think so from what has been revealed to date.

Can any of the legal beagles define hot pursuit as it may apply to this chase? All the information I have been able to find leaves the chase into a private farm field woefully illegal, more closely defined as militarization of out police force.

MYOB, you are correct in your desire to have an explanation. Your kids don't even come close to the description of this man nor does it appear the pursuit fits into hot pursuit if even a little of this reported info is correct.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

Usually, here's where I come in and type a usual:

snort!

Which I started to do, but...wait..I can't do that here, can I??

/time to retool

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

Seamus - the smaller the man, the bigger the tool....

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

Roger - Seamus fell foul of the censor because it is no longer politically correct to use the name of any form of the Suidae family. Remember, it is H1N1 virus, not s###e flu. It is our glorious, esteemed law enforcement agency, not a bunch of p%@$!

Before you avian rights people start to complain, I said foul, not f@&l.....

beobachter 4 years, 6 months ago

seamus, care to share your arrest history?

BlackVelvet 4 years, 6 months ago

Seamus, they all got together and decided to wear BDU's and carry assault weapons just to piss you off! No other reason!

Seamus 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm perpetually-amazed with the cowardice I see exercised by the managers of the various message boards on the internet. My comments were deleted, apparently, because I don't hold our police forces in the highest esteem. But the fact remains that it was unnecessary for these "peace officers" (is that good enough for the sensitive censors?) to brandish AR-15s to apprehend a single suspect. They're overarmed and generally poorly-trained to use these weapons. (Again, given the very poor level of marksmanship I've seen at the various ranges over the years.) Furthermore, what's with the increasing use of paramilitary BDUs by the "police" forces around the country? Throughout all of history the "police" have been used as the jackboot of the government.

Seamus 4 years, 6 months ago

Seamus 4 years, 6 months ago

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

That's it!

He talked about..what you're not supposed to talk about.

They had him down, got his pants, had the knife..

and he escaped!

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

They haven't found this fellow yet? How hard can it be even in Lawrence to find a large black man in a green sweatshirt and no pants? Please, Jonathan. Let us know when you have an update. I want all the cousins to feel safe. Boosh, it's OK, go ahead an talk bouit.

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

Rumor is that it has something to do with a barricade between Topeka and Lawrence city limits.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

so......what was he wanted for?

Harpo 4 years, 6 months ago

You'd be confused too..............if your pants went missing.

Boosh 4 years, 6 months ago

Were were he keepn hiz celulr ifn he wer sans pants?

nevrmnd dont talk boutit.

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

My second favorite thing is how many are confused over the missing pants.

My first is how beobatcher and gnome bring in lpd and bordman and I get disapperaeded for posting a response to their offensive posts.

Can and will the web master will send me an explanation as to why ad hominem attacks are allowed toward me but I'm not allowed to civilly respond without a disappeareded blow out? You do have my e-mail addy I believe.

Lawrenceguy (roflmao) you nailed it.

overtheline 4 years, 6 months ago

I was headed west yesterday on Hwy 40 when I was passed by 3 KHP and a Dg Cty sheriff's car. I came across the accident in the 300 blk of 40 which is technically Lecompton. I was sure whoever was in the car must have been taken to the hospital and I felt bad for them. On my way back through about 15 minutes later, I saw a KHP with a rifle bigger than he was, looking like something out of Men in Black, and guessed that the driver had not been taken to the hospital after all. I appreciate whatever info LJW has been able to find out, as I was very curious about it.

northtown 4 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the tree was in a crosswalk ??????

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

who knows what kinda weaponry Mr. Greensweatshirt had? or, who knows what he was wanted for? I prefer my law enforcement well trained and well armed.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 6 months ago

Did any of you find anything disturbing about the assult rifles the officers where totting?

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

you didn't see that half naked guy fleeting through on the video?

Clare Galloway 4 years, 6 months ago

Where in the article did it say that he had no pants?? Are we just assuming this?

RidgeRunner 4 years, 6 months ago

"svenway_park (Anonymous) says…

I bet he is sure glad he left his hunter orange sweats at home this morning."

Very nice border hopin'!.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

---LMAO. its just classic!

you know, we're missing something: man being chased, he has a wife/GF/ho at home. poor dude has to explain why he had his pants off when the cops were chasing him..."oh darlin' my pants wuz knocked way off of my @$$ by the accidnt! yeah, that wuz it.

seriously, I have a strong suspicion that above posters are right: there's a lot more here! this guy wasn't a constitutional lawyer on his way to Washburn for a special lecture.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 6 months ago

The trunk of the tree was sent to Ducky for autopsy.

Stacy Napier 4 years, 6 months ago

Smitty and gnome.

I don't think Ted Broardman is smart enuf to fly a helocopter.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

"Cuz.....come pick my --------A$$ up. These white people are crazy. The cops are chasing me with machine guns". "Some white B****th ran me off the road".

Cuz: "What?#&$"

cozy 4 years, 6 months ago

I love how a lowered car constitutes a "suspicious" vehicle.

svenway_park 4 years, 6 months ago

I bet he is sure glad he left his hunter orange sweats at home this morning.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 6 months ago

HEY I FOUND HIS COUSIN IN COLORADO.

Nude man accused of pounding on cars on a highway The Associated Press
GREELEY, Colo. — A man who told officers he was a medical marijuana provider has been arrested for allegedly standing naked in a Colorado highway, pounding on passing cars and spitting at a state trooper. Dustin Robbins, 27, of Westminster, faces 13 counts including indecent exposure, assault and driving under the influence of marijuana.

Robbins was arrested Sept. 25 on U.S. 34 east of Greeley. Witnesses told investigators he was cursing at cars and hitting some.

Two women in their 70s and 80s told deputies a naked man jumped on the hood of their car, broke windows, walked across the roof and jumped off the back. Damage was estimated at $1,200.

Authorities said Robbins spat on the state trooper who arrested him.

Deputies said he told them he was a medical marijuana provider, and they found certificates for medical marijuana but no state provider's license.

State officials said records of licensed providers aren't public.

Robbins is jailed under $50,000 bail. No phone listing could be found for him and it wasn't known if he had a lawyer.

———

Information from: Greeley Daily Tribune,

toe 4 years, 6 months ago

Was KU short a football player?

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

"If the person that picked him up was a stranger, I hope they are ok." Collected self, made call on cell phone. Some farmer thet runs his pants through his combine while shelling corn is gonna be steamed though! I too hope that the tree is OK.

Pywacket 4 years, 6 months ago

srj~ My first thought was that he had a cell phone with him and called a friend to meet up with him & take him where he was going. Just my guess.

Picking up a stranger is a really, really, really foolish thing to do. A wet-dog smell in one's car could be bliss next to what could happen (and often does) to good samaritans who pick up hitchhikers.

I'm with Harpo on the subject of preferring to know the news as it comes in, even if it is incomplete.

Jonathan, despite the ribbing I may give you guys for the occasional typo or word error, I really appreciate your efforts.

MYOB 4 years, 6 months ago

I think we are missing a big part of this story. The law enforcement had my son and his friends at gunpoint from the chopper and from the ground when they came upon them in our field. After the kids were allowed to get up, the officers told them they were unsure whether the man was armed. When we tried to call to get more information, the officers that were involved had all conveniently gone off duty.

workinghard 4 years, 6 months ago

If the person that picked him up was a stranger, I hope they are ok.

beobachter 4 years, 6 months ago

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

Ditto that, bone dry heat - summer back in the late 70's, I-70. Silly naive post hippie chick was I. You can bet I immediately thought of an excuse at first exit to pull off and 'not' be continuing down the road so he had to find another ride. He was ticked because he was hoping to ride all the way to Colorado in my new 280Z.

I was hoping he hadn't ruined that new car smell.

When I see the Seinfeld BO episode...it all comes back to me..the horror!

Starlight 4 years, 6 months ago

I picked up a hitchhiker on Interstate 35 south of Ottawa a few weeks back. Don't usually do so but was feeling charitable as it was raining. The guy was so whacked out he could hardly carry on a conversation but I determined he was trying to get to Wichita. Funny thing was he was thumbing on the northbound side of the highway. I was more than happy to take the next exit and run him across the bridge and drop him on the southbound side because he stunk to high heaven, worse than a wet dog. Don't think I'll be too tempted to pick anybody up after that!

cheeseburger 4 years, 6 months ago

ralphralph-

Yeah, and that judge's name is Robert Fairchild!

Threatening and robbing 4 people with a gun didn't get the BK bandit any more than probation. What makes anyone think anything will happen to this guy, if caught? Fairchild and Branson - what a pair! Bring back Judge Padlock, er Paddock!

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

Who picks up a hitchhiker on the turnpike?

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

Roe wees got em all standed down for now but Justin says he aint unloaded cuz somthuin moor culd happeds at aknee times an rklog gives us acall ifn yu see a large blck mans with no draws on an greened swetshirt an go talk bouit.

Harpo 4 years, 6 months ago

I think the LJW does a pretty good job reporting the facts to the best of their ability. I'd rather have them report what they know, even if it might be a bit sketchy and require some later editing. They have updated this story multiple times throughout the day as more information has been available. By your standard, RKLOG, the JFK assasination should not have been reported until the Warren Commission issued it's report.......and maybe not even then.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 6 months ago

I saw an LPD officer crying on the west side of town this afternoon - now I know why. LPD missed out on a chance to chase a guy wildly around town until he killed someone!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

RKLOG--

Most of our users prefer us to give them the information as we get it. I assure you, we're still trying to get more. Sorry we don't have everything you'd like to know.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

RKLOG 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, this is a bit of bad reporting for sure. No news is better news than sketchy news as far as I'm concerned. Especially when it's apparent that they are asking for our help in identifying. I'm no profiler and I certainly am not calling the police on any large black man I see around town just because he might be the suspect. Not a nice thing to do.

C'mon LJW, go back out and find out more so we can help, if that was the intention of printing this article.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

an thankew JK for the exra info okay cuzins put the shotgunns away bubba you the smart one yuo best du the unlodeing

Pywacket 4 years, 6 months ago

"A report were later made..." Are we employing middle English now? ('Twere a right alarming sight to see the gentleman's gleaming buttocks bobbing amongst the corn shocks.)

And what does it mean that he was "picked up 'from' a passing vehicle"? Maybe he was in one vehicle and handed off to another? Are they going pants shopping before heading home to bake pecan pies?

I love weekend reporting.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

multi an autie we gots any cuzins ritein fur the ljw?

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

okay i gots al the cuzins akountered for made em all drop ther drawrs to chek for scraches an cuts frum the corn even the skinny ones an the gerl ones that got entrestin but nun of them gots any great swet shurts not evn the wons of mixd backgroun witch mos of them is a littl mixd but they al drive maricun cars made in canda or mexaco an not one of them tyodas more like escorts an expolders so we all on aelert up heer lookin for fat dudez crawlin outa da bushes lookin al wild ide like he wants to barrow a cupple rounds dubble ott buck an ifin them black heelichopters an petrolmens run accrosst the still well we jes maight hav to run the cron roes ourselfs a little but i cant talk boutit

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

...find your pants in a cornfield.

Now thet thars fuhny, I dont care who ya ar!

John Yocum 4 years, 6 months ago

"A report were later made that the suspect was spotted along I-70 near mile marker 193 and that he was picked up from a passing vehicle, according to the Kansas Turnpike Authority."

A report WERE later made? He was picked up FROM a passing vehicle? This must have been a quickly written story!

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 6 months ago

No problem Jonathan. I know that editing on the fly, when you're trying to update stories, is a thankless job. So, thank you!!! JW really does a great job, regardless of what some of the pundits here say.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

guess we should go out with our guns and help the officer's find this guy?

autie 4 years, 6 months ago

I just hope he is not a football player.

Harpo 4 years, 6 months ago

If the fire department can bring out the ladder truck to help you get your cat out of a tree, the police dapartment can certainly employ the helicopter to help you find your pants in a cornfield.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 6 months ago

Informed--

Whoops. Was doing some editing and induced that error. It's fixed now. Thanks.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 6 months ago

"The suspect is described as a heavy-set Black man, wearing a great sweatshirt."

Where can I get a great sweatshirt? The one I have are okay, but not great.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

Honestly...while waiting for more details I'm rather enjoying the imagine of a male wearing a green sweatshirt, running through cornfield sans pants. That's gotta hurt. The cattle and wildlife on the other hand have to be happy for some variety. They'll be talking for weeks. Just imagine the sideways looks those cows are giving him as he runs by...

As for the helicopter..that was obviously a very important tree. Hey, maybe he was just trying to steal pecans. That's what I call harvesting. I've seen horses butt a tree for apples to fall..

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

okay, does he have cuzzins in Lecompton?

and, the chopper is not for medical transport!

kansas state troopers have a very cool chopper equipped with infrared detection equipment, can see a body that's not visible to plain sight.

okay, Smitty, so you think Lawrence needs its own chopper for the PD? I suppose you want Ted Boardman flying it too?

you know if lpd had a chopper you'd be on here all the time raggin' on it and them.
of course an LPD chopper would be cool for days that the basketball team wins the championship, the football team wins against MO, etc.

beobachter 4 years, 6 months ago

smitty, are you turned on at thought of black man running around with no pants? Does that fit in with your hatred of LPD?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

Clearly his crime was more serious than assaulting a tree. Probably the missing piece is that he hit a tree because he was running because he's perpetrating crimes.

When the story comes together, we'll probably find out he's on America's Most Wanted or a member of Insane Clown Posse or something equally heinous.

Harpo 4 years, 6 months ago

50YearResident: Nothing was said about not having pants.

Um.......it was a joke. The only description of the suspect's clothing in the article was that he was wearing a sweatshirt.......painting a picture for those of us who like to have a little fun the the LJW's expense of a man running around in a cornfield sans pants.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Nothing was said about not having pants.

smitty 4 years, 6 months ago

........40 isn't that close to Lecompton...that would be 24 close to Perry and Lecompton

....maybe Big Springs

Heading east or west...chased?

.......Who called LE and for the heli...the residents or another LE agency? If it was the residents...how do I get my own heli search copter.. there has been some gang bangers hanging out in my block that need dispersing.

....incident not wreck that immediately required guns and and a helicopter?

....so much to consider with this vast amount of reported information..

At this juncture...are we even sure "they" are on the correct road or are "they" poaching deer or maybe it's a "hot pursuit" to justify a run on an illegal fall crop?

Naw, we have all the information needed except the crime buster number..... a fat black man without pants that might be running in a corn field, serveral miles from Lecompton.

Monica Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

LOL!! Ya'll crack me up. . .Everyone's a comedian.

nobody1793 says:

"This doesn't make any sense. They called in choppers for a guy who hit a tree?! Did they leave out a big part of this story?

Duh. . .

"The suspect, described as black heavy-set male wearing a sweatshirt, then took off on foot. . . . "

A fat half-naked black man running through fields. . .wouldn't you wanna call the Chopper and boys in blue to get this suspect put away!??!?!?

parrothead8 4 years, 6 months ago

Usually someone in a one-car wreck is called a victim. The fact that he is being referred to as a "suspect" and that "deputies with rifles" are searching for him leads me to believe that a large part of this story is not being told just yet.

alm77 4 years, 6 months ago

They can't run the plates and find out who the guy is? Or was it stolen? It's hard for the public to help when there is so little info. Black man in sweats, yeah, we never see that around anywhere...

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

He's not running FROM anything..he just heard some biscuits calling.

Harpo 4 years, 6 months ago

"The suspect, described as black heavy-set male wearing a sweatshirt........"

I sure wouldn't want to run around in a cornfield without any pants.

ralphralph 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope they catch him, so some dipweed judge can turn him loose on probation.

nobody1793 4 years, 6 months ago

thecuteone 4 years, 6 months ago

The car served? What like appetizers or something?