Archive for Sunday, November 29, 2009

Two arrested after altercation at Henry’s

Two Lawrence men were arrested Sunday morning after getting in a fight at Henry's on Eighth Street. One man went to the hospital to be treated for injuries before continuing to the jail.

November 29, 2009

Two Lawrence men were arrested Sunday morning after an altercation at Henry's on Eighth Street.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, a 53-year-old and 33-year-old man were arrested after fighting with one another just before 1:30 a.m.

The altercation began when the 53-year-old man, who had previously been banned from the East Eighth Street business, showed up and began behaving in a disorderly manner. The man was reportedly swearing and making a scene, bothering some of the guests.

Hadl said the 33-year-old man had taken exception to the man's behavior and battered him. The 53-year-old man then fashioned a weapon from a cue ball and what Hadl said was or resembled a Crown Royal bag and swung it at the younger man, striking him in the back of the head.

The 33-year-old man was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital where he was treated for the injury to his head and then taken to the Douglas County Jail. He was arrested on charges of battery.

The 53-year-old man was arrested on charges of aggravated battery.

Comments

Sunny Parker 5 years ago

Cue ball? I didn't know there were pool tables in Henry's?

maxcrabb 5 years ago

Sunny, it's Lawrence. He probably rolls his own.

Amy Heeter 5 years ago

The 53 year old is one of Loring Henderson's "harmless homeless" one of the regulars at the wet shelter. This is what the East Lawrence neighborhood has to look forward to.

igby 5 years ago

What ever happened to "Clackers"! Lol.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

yaay! downtown really benefits from having the drunk/druggie shelter downtown! see how it helps local business...if the above is true.

hey 53-year-old-man! you're a compound idiot. what part of being banned do you not understand? how'd you get yourself banned?

unelectable 5 years ago

All right/wrong, left/right, bigger/smaller, old lawrence/new lawrence aside... ... a cue ball in a crown royal bag to the back of the head!?!?! OUCH!!! That has got to hurt in a very real way.

agrabass 5 years ago

Wow, Henry's is no longer safe from the rif-raf. What's a coffee lovin, wine drinkin girl to do? Please don't make me start drinking in West Lawrence.

50YearResident 5 years ago

Ban all cue balls and crown royal bags! : )

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years ago

@50YearResident, you'll have rioting crowds of saxophonists if you ban Crown Royal bags. Those things are perfect for storing saxophone necks safely in your case.

Confrontation 5 years ago

Lawrence would only close down Henry's if there were black people involved. If this same situation had happened at a club that played rap music, then this would've justified a city meeting. The city of Lawrence pretends to be accepting of everyone, but that stops when "everyone" isn't white.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

This is what I find facinating about situations like this. The guy is too wasted to control himself, but still has the wherewithall to engineer a weapon ala "McGyver" on the spot. Give that guy some rotten eggs and some fertilizer and he'll make a chemical weapon to make a dictator proud... but he can't pull his life together for nothin.

black_watch 5 years ago

Pretty much everyone commenting here makes me ashamed of Lawrence. Nice going, folks.

puddleglum 5 years ago

what were they fighting over? someone steal another man's skirt?

Matthew Herbert 5 years ago

for my money, there are no better protective cases for your iPod than a Crown Royal bag.

infidel 5 years ago

It does look like the guy is a transient according to

I think we should ban all transients from town, send them to the Tonganoxie homeless shelter.

hwarangdo 5 years ago

Yes, let's run the homeless out of town on the rail ... in the meantime ... idiots + booze + que ball = fight zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nbnozzy 5 years ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says…

Lawrence would only close down Henry's if there were black people involved. If this same situation had happened at a club that played rap music, then this would've justified a city meeting. The city of Lawrence pretends to be accepting of everyone, but that stops when “everyone” isn't white

I guess I have to correct you here too like I did in another blog. You post without thinking clearly. The business my brother and I had was targeted by Corliss and the progressives (boog, rundle, schauner). They didn't succeed in shutting us down. The bad economy was the final decision to close. I am as white as they come. So don't play a race card that doesn't belong. Save it for when it is truly appropriate.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

So, when is it appropriate to take matters into your own hands? Was someone at Henry's calling the police? It reads to me like the younger man was offended at the other man's behavior and tried to get him to stop. Did the young man feel threatened by the older man? I don't think he should have been arrested as he was trying to right a bad situation.

Steve Jacob 5 years ago

I kind of home the 33 year old gets off, he was probably defending himself or others against someone who just guessing has a record.

Ward 5 years ago

if I were homeless or someone who needed the services of the shelter I may feel that a cue ball and c-bag might protect me from drunks or vicious folks who comment on the LJW:

nbnozzy 5 years ago

Exotic dancers need those Crown Royal bags to keep their money in. It's a common practice. A few of them even have had dance outfits made out of them.