If your kids are at home during the winter break and grumbling about nothing to do, here are some suggestions for activities geared specifically for them.
• The Lawrence Community Theatre, 1501 N.H., will be host to 14 performances of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” Friday through Dec. 20.
“It’s going to be so much fun,” says Mary Doveton, LCT’s executive director. “Kids will love the fairytale clothes and the magical atmosphere.”
• Children can have breakfast with Santa Claus during an event Dec. 12 sponsored by Lawrence Parks and Recreation. The event, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., will be at the Lawrence Community Building, 115 W. 11th St. Cost is $7 per child and $9 per adult for all-you-can-eat breakfast created by Chris Cakes. In addition to food and Santa, there will be a face-painting booth.
• The Holiday Shop at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H., will give children ages 3 through 10 a chance to shop for their loved ones. The Holiday Shop is from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 12.
“It’s really a kid-empowering thing,” says Linda Reimond, the arts center’s preschool director. “Volunteer elves help the young shoppers, and nothing costs more than $5. The kids are very proud of themselves for picking out gifts that can be secrets from their moms and dads.”
The arts center’s preschool holds their annual cookie sale at the same time, and musical groups provide entertainment.
• Rabbi Zalman Tiechtel and his wife, Nechama Tiechtel, will give a presentation about Hanukkah during the Children’s Story Hour at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. At 10:30 a.m. Dec. 15 and Dec. 18, the Tiechtels will talk about the menorah and give a demonstration of an olive press.
“The kids love it when the menorah is lit,” says Linda Clay, a children’s department librarian.
• Lawrence Parks and Recreation will offer two sessions of its Holiday Parents Day Out program. The program, for children ages 5 to 12, will feature arts and crafts, sports, games and field trips. The sessions are from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 21-24 and Dec. 28-31 at Holcom Park Recreation Center, 2700 W. 27th St. Registration is $55 for child and can be completed at www.lawrenceks. org/lprd or by calling 832-7940.
• The Lawrence Public Library hosts its annual Holiday Tea Party at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Jan. 9. This year’s theme is “Fiesta” and will include tea punch, finger sandwiches, cookies and live entertainment. The event is intended for boys and girls ages 5 and up. Call the library at 843-3833, Ext. 117, to register.