Archive for Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mangino ‘optimistic’ he’ll return next season

Kansas head coach Mark Mangino scans his offense during a timeout in the Jayhawks’ game against Oklahoma on Oct. 24 at Memorial Stadium. Mangino is under investigation for allegedly poking a player.

November 28, 2009

Embattled Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino said before Saturday's Border War matchup with Missouri that he was optimistic he'd return to coach the team next season.

"I'm optimistic; it's full speed ahead," Mangino said during a pregame interview with ESPN. "We've worked hard to prepare for this game. We'll get on the road and recruit. I'm very optimistic."

Mangino, whose contract runs through 2012, is currently the source of an internal university investigation into his treatment of players, and his future with the program has been the source of much speculation in recent days.

The investigation was launched after an incident in which Mangino allegedly poked senior linebacker Arist Wright in the chest. Since then, multiple former players have come forward with similar allegations against the coach.

Comments

BigPrune 5 years ago

Do you think all the negative press about Mangino was a tactic by KU to get him to resign?

homechanger 5 years ago

He should be canned for the horrible clock management on the last "drive".

somebodynew 5 years ago

This was a forgone conclusion, but this did not help. On another note, I have had problems with some of the coaching decisions on several of the games this year.

This just makes Lew's decisicion look better.

Mike Kendall 5 years ago

I like Mangino a lot. Loyalty means a lot to me. So, KU should be loyal to Mangino, too. However, noticing some of the comments coming in, it does give Lew Perkins opportunity to fire Mangino. ESPN said that even if he is retained, it could hurt possible recruits coming into the program. What do think?

Maracas 5 years ago

The playing calling in the last offensive series should be enough to get anyone canned. Who else has a play called "The Safety" in their playbook for end-of-game circumstances where your back is to the wall?

SWJayhawk13 5 years ago

I think that whether or not Mangino is fired (I personally think he will be), Lew has ruined our reputation and it's going to hurt our recruiting. Yes, Mangino screwed up, but Lew Perkins made this into a national spectacle, and it didn't need to be. So everyone, let's kiss away our hopes of recruiting good football players next year!

SWJayhawk13 5 years ago

Don't get me wrong though, Mangino's coaching (at the end of the game in particular) was horrible. I'm just saying that between the spectacle Lew has made & the way Mangino coached, our chances of recruiting any good players is shot to sh*t.

rgh 5 years ago

I feel Lew got what he needed today in a KU loss to mu. Not only did it bolster his previous thinking of firing him, but Mangino's recruiting has indeed taken a serious hit. Why would Lew have announced this "investigation" before the season was done??? It was not a major thing which required immediate attention.

Doesn't Lew do his job and know what the coaches are like by being at practices and evaluated them? For gosh sakes, Mangino's been here 8 years and Lew knows what he's like without some stupid "investigation." This was a lynching and Lew also has expensive boxes and seats to try and sell to 3,000 folks out there which isn't happening!

On a side note though, we also can't deny that going from an Organge Bowl win two years ago to an Insight win last year to being dead last in the Big XII was a poor coaching job. We were not depleted by any means. Sure we lost some key players, but you lose key players every year. We had the majority of our scoring back and entire defense with the exception of line backers yet regressed every game except Nebraska (should have won) and Misery (should have won). We could have easily lost 8 in a row if you remember the ending to the Iowa State game.

There was NO reason to have been 7-5 at the VERY least and even 9-2 realistically. We should have beaten Tech, Colorado, Misery, Nebraska, and KSWho. I'm not on the Lew Perkins band wagon by any means for getting rid of Mangino, but I think we have to expect better than what we got this year.

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

Lew can go ahead and fire him for poor coaching and the wins/losses. However, he'll have to pay up 6.6 million.

TopJayhawk 5 years ago

Go Lew go. Perkins has done his job well. And now I agree it is time for Mangino to go. Even if we never really know all of the details. The team has fallen too far too fast. Personally I think this has a lot to do with a lack of charachter by a lot of the players who obviously have just quit on the team. A lot of them probably should go too.

beagledog 5 years ago

the play calling on the last series for KU was a travesty. That's should say it all. Mangino blew it.

Lloyd Kinnison 5 years ago

It appears that the Kansas Director of Athletics is attempting to follow in the footsteps of Nebraska. Fire a successful coach. In the case of Kansas football, return to the good ole days of a new coach every couple of years and then wonder why the team is not successful! The AD is not acting as a professional! It must be about the ego factor. Keep our coach Lkinnison

Yogi 5 years ago

Coach Mangino is being railroaded and there probably isn't anything that will stop it. What a shame that a university I have loved and supported for a lifetime has fallen to such embarrassing and shameful tactics. What top coach or player would want to come here after this totally unnecessary fiasco? I grieve for our school and our state.

justsmile2day 5 years ago

Everyone always wants to blame the Coach when all goes bad. Come on people you call yourselves KU fans, stop your darn whining. I'm a diehard fan and trust me I HATE LOSING, especially to purple and that team yesterday. You say want to win and win all the time heck who doesn't I promise you all something, kids that are looking to go to KU see all of the whining that is going on over here, aren't wanting to come here because look at what is going on. Represent our University, Coaches, Athletes in the upmost respect. Don't you think the players feel bad enough knowing they lost a heart breaker yesterday. I'm proud, so very proud of our KU Football team, all the players, and to the Seniors, God Bless You for the hard work, dedication, and unselfishness that you showed us,need I say Kerry Meir to you who's brain seems to be soaked up by negativity. This just wasn't our year to many bounces that didn't go our way, not to mention injuries. I'm PROUD TO SAY THANK YOU COACHES, AND PLAYERS, yes there is so much to work on especially our defense, but I believe Coach Mangino and his staff will find a way to fix it. Support your team people come on, if you don't like it please go and cross the border or go to manhattan. All it takes is one bad apple to bring a team down, what didn't you see this year!! I don't want any bandwagon, negative, couch coach, putting on the same KU apparel that I am. I LOVE MY JAYHAWKS AND PROUD TO SAY THIS..