Archive for Friday, November 27, 2009

One dead after car-motorcycle accident near 27th and Missouri

One person was pronounced dead Friday night after a motorcycle-car accident. The driver of the motorcycle lost control and hit a car head-on. The motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet.

November 27, 2009, 8:34 p.m. Updated November 28, 2009, 1:23 p.m.

A 35-year-old Lawrence woman was pronounced dead Friday night after a car-motorcycle accident near 27th and Missouri streets.

According to Lawrence Police, Susan Fuller was driving a motorcycle westbound on 27th Street shortly before 8 p.m. when she lost control of the vehicle and swerved into the path of an oncoming car headed eastbound. The motorcycle and car struck each other head-on.

An air ambulance landed at South Junior High School about 8:30 p.m. and transported Fuller to a Kansas City area hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The victim was not wearing a helmet.

The occupants of the passenger vehicle were not injured.

A candlelight vigil will be held for Fuller at 8 p.m. Saturday night at Helen's Hilltop Bar, 19611 McLouth Rd. in Tonganoxie.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Comments

Maxwell Butterfield 5 years, 7 months ago

A friend who has talked to the cops at the scene says that the car's gas tank exploded. He's got some horrific burns all over his body.

He was also apparently fleeing from the police when the accident occurred.

yoornotmee 5 years, 7 months ago

Correction: "You're an idiot".

Your = possessive You're = you + are

baserunner 5 years, 7 months ago

to all you disrespectful idiots the truth to this accident is yes it was a head-on accident, there was no eploding car and no one fleeing from the accident, it was a lady on the motorcycle and a couple with 2 small children in the car, the lady was life flighted and the other people from the car are still at the scene, I know this cause it happened right in front of my house, please respect this lady and her family as they may loose a loved one tonight and not make any ludicris (stupid) comments unless you know the truth it is disrepectful to all involved please!!!!

Maxwell Butterfield 5 years, 7 months ago

I'm so sorry. I thought my source was reliable. I meant no harm in my comment. I hope the best to all involved.

silentilproven 5 years, 7 months ago

Thank you baserunner.

yoornotmee- I stand corrected, thank you.

Downtoearth 5 years, 7 months ago

I kow this lady. I will give you her condition ASAP!

Tammy Yergey 5 years, 7 months ago

Downtoearth, my friend lives right around the corner from there and just got a cycle... It isn't someone that lives around there, is it? Cycles scare me. Fun to ride, but so dangerous, just because of their size (and because they are easy to not see when in a car!).

yoornotmee 5 years, 7 months ago

I hope everybody turns out okay - especially the kids! :(

one2no 5 years, 7 months ago

Well the lady that was on the cycle was suzie and she rides alot and has alot of good friends. She is a great lady and has fun at the slowride. she worked at hallmark at one time not sure she is still there.

Tammy Yergey 5 years, 7 months ago

How tragic! I feel for her family and the driver of the car which hit her. That would be a horrible thing to live with.

katie_bear 5 years, 7 months ago

If you don't have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 7 months ago

I realize wearing a helmet might not be required under the law but please wear a helmet, it sucks, it is a lot more comfortable without one.... but they save lives. Look up the accident statistics before the next time you go out for a ride without a helmet... maybe you will make a different choice.

happy_go_lucky 5 years, 7 months ago

Getting in a wreck on a motorcycle WITH a helmet can be life-threatening(often is) without it is near suicide. I drove home to find this just down my street, sad for the family of the deceased...

But think of the 2 children in the car. That is where the real pyschological damage can occur.

Monica Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

Any confirmation on who the victim is yet?

Monica Miller 5 years, 7 months ago

. . . Joel, take notes. . .proper procedure when you hit someone. ..

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Suzie you will be missed. I will miss seeing a friend and fellow rider drive down 27th street on nice days :(

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Im willing to bet Brandy is guilty talks on the phone or yells at the kids or does something distracting while driving.... I hope you never have an accident or you might have an unfortunate outcome as well. Maybe you should take a long undistracted drive off a short pier.

pace 5 years, 7 months ago

It would be nice if LJW would not allow comments on fatality accidents for at least 6 hours. I think people who need to remonstrate others for spelling or grammar sins have no sensibilities. I am sorry for the lose of life and for the family and friends.

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

And for those of you that find it necessary to hold spelling class on here. Please head down to the Link and teach those who are in need, as this is not the time or place to feel superior to others. Im sure your superior services are needed else where.

Get a life loosers!!

Shane Rogers 5 years, 7 months ago

kansas_o_kansas 5 years, 7 months ago

The world has lost a wonderful woman who was doing something she loved.

And amen knypthal, these stories do not need comments, let people mourn in peace....

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 7 months ago

This thread is comical with the haters and then spelling cops.

classclown 5 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says…

lose: to suffer deprivation of; to part with, especially in an unforeseen or unexpected manner loose: unfettered; free from confinement

Plain old typos (such as “eploding”) are something we all make, so I won't criticize them, and I will refrain from mopping up after the run-on sentences and omission of a good deal of punctuation, but dang it all – I do get so tired of reading “loose” when someone means “lose.” Is this (along with the “your/you're pair) too hard to learn?

I apologize in advance for this irritating tutorial—I ordinarily hate spelling/grammar cops and try not to be one (despite my profession….), but sometimes, it just busts out (like bad words from a Tourette's sufferer!).

=====================================

You deserve both kudos and boos for your post.

Kudos for pointing out the difference between lose, loser and loose, looser. That really drives me up the wall when I see it.

Boos to your Tourette Syndrome reference. Not all of us that have Tourette's burst out with a string of bad words. I don't. Well I do use bad words but I don't suffer from Coprolalia which is the term for that particular condition. Though it garners the most media attention, it is actually rare. Most of us just have all the usual motor and vocal tics.

Following is a link that will help explain about Tourette Syndrome. Note that it is not a medical site and was put together by a person that lives with TS them self. However, it is presented more in layman's terms rather than clinical which I believe helps people to understand what we deal with better.

Sorry for picking on you here, but just like the lose/loose thing, it bothers me that all of us with TS are portrayed as going around shouting curse words to people.

bigblu78 5 years, 7 months ago

To all of those who are posting "opinions" that have no factual basis, please stop. The family of Susie, who is not even in the same state, does not need to see all of the speculation that has been posted here. She was a loved daughter and sister. Please think of how you would feel if this was your loved one. Please remember that we were not there last night and we are relying on coverage like this to find out what happened to our loved one. A greaving family needs peace at times like this. Not speculation based on "opinions" that someone feels necessary to spred without facts.

Thank you and our prayers are with the family.

cwdancer 5 years, 7 months ago

I just met Suzie in July and spent the day with her and her brother out motorcycling around the beautiful Lawrence area. I now know why Suzie stayed in the area even after she was laid off from Hallmark earlier this year, instead of coming back to family. Plus her friends there were her family - she said that many times while we were there those two short days. The short time I spent with her, I saw her as a very loving, friendly, giving person and a VERY safe biker, just like her brother. The family is in shock and grieving; everyone will miss her smiling face, great personality and goofy giggle. Thank God I got to meet her! Her new sister-in-law.

missjudi 5 years, 7 months ago

What a beautiful kind spirit tragically lost. Susie was doing what she loved. She will be missed by so many. I am sick that such a beautiful young womens life was ended so suddenly. Peace be with you on your next ride.

R8RH8RHENDO 5 years, 7 months ago

Brandy they took your post off because its the dumbest thing anyones ever heard. People who ride motorcyles pay taxes . When a person dies in a car wreck are you going to say people shouldnt drive cars on the road? What damage are they causing can you answer that? I like to say im so sorry for her family and friends. I know what they are going through and ill be thinking of them. Ive known Suzie for a long time an she could really light up a room with her happy face and her cute little pigtails.

zjwill 5 years, 7 months ago

Brandy You are an incredibly worthless contributor to this thread, even if you believe your previous statements why put them out right now. Bottom line you are a worthless prick or prickess.

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Brandy is guilty... You leave so many people speachless. I find it hard to believe you can even think for yourself. Your right it is an opinion. I love riding. I do wear a helmet when riding on the highway and I don't in city riding. I am still here. I am willing to wager my very nice pay check that my riding a motorcycle is much easier on the enviroment and road ways than your daily commuter. And if you want to talk about hazards to regular car drivers look at cell phones. I dont know how many times I have pulled up by someone on my bike and looked over to see some idiot texting or talking on a cell phone while driving (bikers dont talk or txt while riding). B.i.g I hope you are Lawrence's safest driver (ie... dont talk on the phone, or do anything stupid like talk period) and you don't hit me while I'm riding my bike in what I'm sure will be a memorial ride for Susie. R.I.P. I got it B.I.G... Lets outlaw bicycles while your at it since there was a fatiality that involved a bicycle. Do yourself a favor and stop talking.

dysfunctionmama 5 years, 7 months ago

Suzie was a beautiful person and a good friend. We miss her already and spent the morning hoping and hoping again that it wasn't OUR Suzie. I know that she is in the wind forever now, pigtails flying like always and I hope her family knows how very much she was loved by so many. God bless them and thank you Suzie for all the great times and great talks. We love you

flux 5 years, 7 months ago

Susan was a wonderful person, I got to know her pretty well when she first came to Lawrence. She was a positive caring person. She always had beautiful, well tended to flowers around her house. Not only was Suzie beautiful with her blond pigtails but she was also very cool. Her family would be proud to know that she was a blessing in our lives. I am shocked by this and will miss my friend.......long my you run Suzie.

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Beobachter... Do you think a helmet is the answer to every motorcycle death? If you don't know the details then hush. I had a friend pass away in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and guess what.....He was wearing a helmet. My brother passed away in a car accident and guess what..... he was wearing a seat belt. So save your insensitive questions for another day thank you.

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Well I hope your Vespa don't fall over with you on it :)

bigblu78 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry all... it doesn't matter what you have on your head. When it is your time to go the good LORD will call you and you will have no choice but to grab HIS hand and walk with HIM. Although I am no blood relation to Suzie, her brother and I are inseparable. My sister and good friend were classmates. The family is considered pillars in our community. So let me say this......... Stop...... Think....... Shut UP!!!!!..... I've sold my Harley to my sister. I understand a rock on the road can kill her. Helmets don't always save lives. Sometimes Yes..... not always.. You can't say that a helmet would have saved our Suzie. Lets stop the BS people. Have some respect for the family. Leave this be and pay some attention to your own loved ones.

Thank you.....

killjoy 5 years, 7 months ago

How many fatality accident article will it take before someone at LJWorld finally gets it and shuts off the comments after them?

jjessandwade 5 years, 7 months ago

Just because someone has an ACCIDENT doesn't mean you have the right to call them STUPID Starlight. You should be ashamed of yourself for passing judgment on someone you didn't even know. SHAME ON YOU!!!! Susie was a great friend and a fun loving gal. I will miss her and my thoughts and prayers go out to her friends and family. God bless you all.

Glen Moore 5 years, 7 months ago

Brandy... You have never been cut off by a speeding tuner? (sport car). I am inclined to believe that you drive in a fantasy world. Your comments and ideals in my opinion are ignorant. When it comes to thinking... you should leave it to those that live in the real world. Dont "EVER" get distracted while driving your little honda slower than the speed limit or you might hit one of my fellow riders. I still can not believe you can be so close minded as to "want to outlaw motorcycles"
1st get a clue... then get a grip on that clue. You sure can bring out the worse in people. I would truely love to say all kinds of obscene things to you. But I will end with dignity intact and say to you... Have a wonderful day and please stay focused and drive safe :)

Amy Heeter 5 years, 7 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says… "And why not? Sounds like valid question? “Why the hell wasn't she wearing a helmet?”"

Because wearing a helmet or not is a choice. Did you change your stance on choice? Save your soapbox propaganda for another day.

Sympathy to family and friends.

BrianR 5 years, 7 months ago

Motorcycles ruin roadways? That's a scream.

Interesting how misguided and incorrect beliefs sometimes manifest themselves in people for no apparent reason. This is right up there with flying pigs.

Shane Rogers 5 years, 7 months ago

Brandy, just because there are riders out there that will cut you off (evidently it's just you as I've never been cut off by a motorcyclist...) doesn't mean that all riders are like that. As has already been pointed out, there are cagers (automobile drivers...) that are just as insane - if not more so - as those that ride. There are both good and bad in everything, those that know what they are doing and those that don't. I've had more close encounters with cagers than I have had with bikers - like I said, I've not had a single encounter with a biker in all the years I've been driving (I'm 32). In fact, I have very nearly been run over by a cager while returning from dinner while riding my Honda cruiser. I don't speed on my bike, I don't speed in my truck.

Don't think that just because there are people out in this world that don't believe the laws of the road apply to them, that every body that rides goes by the same creed.....we don't.

I look forward to having this comment deleted as well and this will be my last say on this story. My thoughts and condolences go out to the lady that was killed in this tragic accident.

cwdancer 5 years, 7 months ago

Suzie was just like her brother - no windshield, no helmet. They are safe drivers. Who knows why Suzie lost control - and if she was wearing a helmet - yes, she might be alive, but would she be able bodied and be able to do the things she loved, like riding? Or a quadraplegic? No one knows, but we do know Suzie was doing what she loved. R.I.P. Suzie. You will always be with us in spirit!

lady4ledoux 5 years, 7 months ago

First and foremost I have to say that I'm apalled at some of these comments! People! A friend, a loved one, a daughter, and a sister has been tragically taken from us!! Suzie and I went to school together, her brother and sister-in-law are VERY good friends of mine -- PLEASE show some respect!! I'm also a rider, and I'm here to tell you I've had more close calls when I'm riding by car and truck drivers than I ever had with other riders when I'm driving! As a matter of fact, I've had a semi turn right in front of me on my Harley, causing me to lay it down! Our friends and family have lost a dear loved one - someone who would help someone else before she helped herself - and all a lot of you want to do is point fingers, gripe about peoples spelling and grammar, etc - WHAT GIVES?? PLEASE STOP ALL OF THIS AND THINK ABOUT US (FRIENDS AND FAMILY) - we are devestated by the loss of Suzie. All I'm asking, as has bigblu78 and cwdancer (as we are the friends and family of Suzie, from her hometown) is PLEASE, show a little respect and stop the finger pointing. To Suzie, you will be missed dearly, watch over your brothers, your family, and your fellow riders - we miss you!!! And we love you!! R.I.P.